Department of Acquisitions

Thrym

I wants airbrush...

Then... How do you say?... Oh Right!

DO EEET!!!!

I've been thinking about it, just to do priming and base coats with, something cheap.

I bought a compressor with a tank and moisture trap for $99 from amazon and it's great. Way cheaper then what Michaels was selling named branded compressors for at 40% off. The only really tricky part of picking and choosing parts for an airbrush is getting the right brush to hose connectors which you're best off getting from Chicago Airbrush. My whole setup was about $220 and that included a badger patriot I got for $75, quick release (tottaly worth the money even if you just have one brush), cheap cleaning station from harbor freight and some tattoo bottles for water and cleaner.

• Like 6

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not ready to drop $150+ on airbrush stuff right now. I'm thinking the cheaper the better just to do basic stuff with, like all I would really do is priming and some base-coating. Even if I had a super expensive one, I doubt I'd use it for much more than that as I love working with real brushes too much.

• Like 3

Well... I did fail my WILL save when I saw Morland Studios' newsletter featuring Myerasalome, Queen of Havoc (in 32mm, 54mm, and necklaces) that popped up a little bit ago and ended up ordering:

Myerasalome, Queen of Havoc 32mm

Tarika, Adventuress

Kreimheld's Revenge Set 32mm

Queen of Havoc could be one of my characters except for 1 minor detail... The skull. It does not fit that character at all. The rest would be just about right though

I would be tempted to turn Kreimheld's Revenge into a diorama though.

The skull in the headdress?

ETA: The skull could be covered with a tiny bit of green stuff easily and converted to a gem. :D

Yeah, Kreimheld is amazing. I've seen her done by a few amazing artists and have wanted her for a while. She'll be in a vignette or diorama for me too.

Morland Studio's has a Nene Thomas line of minis now?! ::o:

She's one of Awesome Wife's favorite fantasy artists.  This may be good for a gift further down the road.

• Like 2

I wants airbrush...

DO EEET!!!!

I've been thinking about it, just to do priming and base coats with, something cheap.

If you are going to invest in a tool invest in a GOOD Tool.

• Like 3

If you are going to invest in a tool invest in a GOOD Tool.

I usually do, but for the purposes of something like priming up big diorama bases, dragons, etc. Not for the finer detail work, I'd love to have an airbrush. If I was going to go all out and try to do stuff that others do with the finer details, I'd look into investing in a top of the line airbrush.

• Like 2

I wants airbrush...

DO EEET!!!!

I bought a compressor with a tank and moisture trap for $99 from amazon and it's great. Way cheaper then what Michaels was selling named branded compressors for at 40% off. The only really tricky part of picking and choosing parts for an airbrush is getting the right brush to hose connectors which you're best off getting from Chicago Airbrush. My whole setup was about $220 and that included a badger patriot I got for $75, quick release (tottaly worth the money even if you just have one brush), cheap cleaning station from harbor freight and some tattoo bottles for water and cleaner.

What kind of air compressor?

• Like 1

Definitely not ready to drop $150+ on airbrush stuff right now. I'm thinking the cheaper the better just to do basic stuff with, like all I would really do is priming and some base-coating. Even if I had a super expensive one, I doubt I'd use it for much more than that as I love working with real brushes too much.

Outside of terrain that's all I use it for. I think the $100 tank compressor is worth it as it will last much, much longer then one for $70 without a tank. The compressors get hot really fast so without a tank you really should only use the airbrush for 2-3 min at a time (with 5+ min break) and even though that seams like a good enough time to base it's not--especially if you're doing more then one fig.

I only stated my overall price to let you know what going midrange would cost you but, again, I think spending $25 more on something of a higher quality like a patriot is a better choice then a $50 brush--even one that comes with different needle size as you'll never use the different sizes as a dual action brush gives you lots of flow control that replicates the other needle sizes. This is really important with Zenthial lighting as I've found you want to really be able to lightly apply the white highlight which would be much harder without the dual action.

Just like a dirt cheap brush sucks for basing coating\priming, a dirt cheap airbrush will be just as frustrating.

• Like 3

I wants airbrush...

DO EEET!!!!

The $99 Master Air compressor that's the top search result on amazon. From what I understand they're the one's that manufacture most everyone else's compressors so it's like buying the generic drug over the name brand one for twice as much. One thing to note is the vinyl tape they include for the airtrap\pressure regulator is junk, just buy a $1 roll from a local hardware store and you'll be much happier.

• Like 3

So... enabling myself, I ordered a few things from Fantization. Some fun things that I thought would be fun to have and use for various projects.

Links are either to Reaper Store or pictures.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

I wants airbrush...

DO EEET!!!!

The $99 Master Air compressor that's the top search result on amazon. From what I understand they're the one's that manufacture most everyone else's compressors so it's like buying the generic drug over the name brand one for twice as much. One thing to note is the vinyl tape they include for the airtrap\pressure regulator is junk, just buy a $1 roll from a local hardware store and you'll be much happier.

I think we bought the same compressor...

• Like 3

You do realizer, Ub3r, that is you went two weeks without buying (ordering) any miniature supplies, you could afford a good air compressor with a tank and a decent to good airbrush with money left over?

I have a 10 gallon air tank and a 200 psi compressor from Lowes that ran me $150. The capacity and pressure settings allows me to run the air brush for 30 -35 minutes without the compressor running. Once it kicks on due to low pressure, it takes roughly 5 minutes for it to fill the tank, while I am still air brushing, or 4 minutes if I stop.

The air compressor is not as portable as the little ones you see next to the air brushes, but it does work really well.

Harbor Freight has an air brush and small compressor for $89.99 or so... brush is good for base coating/priming. Two of the kits at the local store actually had bottom feed dual action brushes... the top feed ones were single action. If I am base coating terrain, having a 4 oz or 8 oz bottle of paint hanging from the air brush lets me base coat a TON of terrain without having to refill...

However, for miniatures, I like my top feed, as I "waste" less paint due to the smaller reservoir and not having a suction tube to keep covered with a minimum level in the bottle.

Edited by Bonwirn
  • Like 7

Instamold is great for some things but horrible for others. I've found really sharp recessed or deep items really hard to copy and it's near impossible to get a good 2-part mold out of it. That being said, for pressing patterns and coping bases it's great and can save you a lot of money.

I picked off of amazon with some earned up credit (via my amazon card) 2x rocket raccoon shops ($6 each...crazy good price) and 2x nova ships from guardians of the galaxy. Should make up a nice final round of airships and such for Sci-fi settings and games.

• Like 4

You do realizer, Ub3r, that is you went two weeks without buying (ordering) any miniature supplies, you could afford a good air compressor with a tank and a decent to good airbrush with money left over?

I was going to bring that up. Just don't buy any minis for a month like I did and you'll have the money pretty easily as you spend as much as I do in a month.

• Like 4

I picked off of amazon with some earned up credit (via my amazon card) 2x rocket raccoon shops ($6 each...crazy good price) and 2x nova ships from guardians of the galaxy. Should make up a nice final round of airships and such for Sci-fi settings and games.

Wow, hadn't seen those before and they look neat!!

• Like 2