Department of Acquisitions

Thrym

You do realizer, Ub3r, that is you went two weeks without buying (ordering) any miniature supplies, you could afford a good air compressor with a tank and a decent to good airbrush with money left over?

BLASPHEMY!!!

Instamold is great for some things but horrible for others. I've found really sharp recessed or deep items really hard to copy and it's near impossible to get a good 2-part mold out of it. That being said, for pressing patterns and coping bases it's great and can save you a lot of money.

I want to try it out with some coins to see if it'll work for things that I'll use with some basing.

I was going to bring that up. Just don't buy any minis for a month like I did and you'll have the money pretty easily as you spend as much as I do in a month.

DOUBLE BLASPHEMY! 

My problem isn't the cash, it's the not disturbing the wife with the compressor noise (while watching TV or reading a book as my hobby area is in the same loft area as our main TV) and just making sure it's something I'm ready to invest in whether it's $100 for a cheap set-up or $500 for a top-of-the-line. Now the cheaper would obviously be better for the pocketbook, but I also like to get the better things if possible and know that I'll use them for more than just priming, base coating, and highlighting.

• Like 2

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem isn't the cash, it's the not disturbing the wife with the compressor noise (while watching TV or reading a book as my hobby area is in the same loft area as our main TV) and just making sure it's something I'm ready to invest in whether it's $100 for a cheap set-up or $500 for a top-of-the-line. Now the cheaper would obviously be better for the pocketbook, but I also like to get the better things if possible and know that I'll use them for more than just priming, base coating, and highlighting.

I took Aaron's how to paint your dragon class at Reapercon back in 2014... He used a $30 airbrush... According to him, the key is dual action and getting used to what you have. Every brush behaves differently.

I have the following brushes:

Badger Anthem 150 - dual action, bottom feed (x2)

Iwata (something or other) - dual action top feed

Harbor Freight Special (came with small air compressor) single action - bottom feed

** crappy brush ** don't remember manufacturer or model number... was first top feed brush I got... top paint pot leaks, even after I super glued it on (super glue on the threads)... Trigger is "loose" so sometimes doesn't open air valve, but paint runs everywhere... GRRRRR

The Badger Anthem 150 is my work horse brush for base coating all my HA builds... I have two since one was in a damaged box at A.C.Moore and the manager had it marked down to $40...

The Iwata is my main mini brush. It was $80 at Hobby Lobby, but I had a 50% coupon. I have used it mostly for larger (giants, dragons, etc) minis. I will soon be experimenting with army priming using this brush, and will most likely do a WIP on it... if I remember...

It's not the cost of the brush, but the quality that really matters. And after returning an Iwata... cost is not always a good indicator.

Also... DON"T AIRBRUSH INSIDE!

Edited by Bonwirn
  • Like 3

You do realizer, Ub3r, that is you went two weeks without buying (ordering) any miniature supplies, you could afford a good air compressor with a tank and a decent to good airbrush with money left over?

BLASPHEMY!!!

Instamold is great for some things but horrible for others. I've found really sharp recessed or deep items really hard to copy and it's near impossible to get a good 2-part mold out of it. That being said, for pressing patterns and coping bases it's great and can save you a lot of money.

I want to try it out with some coins to see if it'll work for things that I'll use with some basing.

I was going to bring that up. Just don't buy any minis for a month like I did and you'll have the money pretty easily as you spend as much as I do in a month.

DOUBLE BLASPHEMY! 

My compressor is about as loud as a cheap fridge when running. I regularly listen to music or talk to my wife while it's running.

• Like 2

I took Aaron's how to paint your dragon class at Reapercon back in 2014... He used a $30 airbrush... According to him, the key is dual action and getting used to what you have. Every brush behaves differently.

Harbor Freight Special (came with small air compressor) single action - bottom feed

** crappy brush ** don't remember manufacturer or model number... was first top feed brush I got... top paint pot leaks, even after I super glued it on (super glue on the threads)... Trigger is "loose" so sometimes doesn't open air valve, but paint runs everywhere... GRRRRR

The Badger Anthem 150 is my work horse brush for base coating all my HA builds... I have two since one was in a damaged box at A.C.Moore and the manager had it marked down to $40...

The Iwata is my main mini brush. It was $80 at Hobby Lobby, but I had a 50% coupon. I have used it mostly for larger (giants, dragons, etc) minis. I will soon be experimenting with army priming using this brush, and will most likely do a WIP on it... if I remember...

It's not the cost of the brush, but the quality that really matters. And after returning an Iwata... cost is not always a good indicator.

Thanks for all the information!

Why not airbrush inside if I have a respirator and a tent?

You don't even need the respirator if you're not using alcohol or Windex (ammonia) to thin if the room is well ventilated or near a window.

• Like 1

You don't even need the respirator if you're not using alcohol or Windex (ammonia) to thin if the room is well ventilated or near a window.

I would still advice to wear one, since acrylic polymer dust is better kept outside your lungs... it doesn't hurt to protect yourself. Also, a lot of commercial airbrush thinners/cleaners contain alcohol and vaporized alcohol = very bad.

• Like 1

Also, just to enable, just got an email newsletter that Fantization is running a Memorial Day weekend sale for 20% of site wide w/o coupon code. Starts today 05/20/15 and ends on 05/26/15 at 8am PST.

I didn't need to know this....

• Like 2

Thanks Bathory, looks like the standard Iwata tip... I am always afraid of breaking the threads on those.

I am waiting anxiously on my Harder & Steenbeck with the floating self-centering nozzle.

Willen do you just use the simple white one or the ones with filter attachments?

White "paper" masks are just for big dust, like when sawing off wood or stuff like that. For alcohol and solvents you need Organic Vapor filters. I use a 3M half-mask with dual filters, that I got cheap as industrial surplus.

I can't find a pic of myself on it, but it is this one (model 6200 it seems, it is not at hand to check)

3m-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-62

The two filters are replaceable, and you can get different kinds of filters (but again, get the 6001 Organic Vapor Filter).

I just searched for it and it is less than 10 USD in Amazon. Pair of 6001 filters are about 7 USD - and I didn't even check for better prices. 

The mask is incredibly comfortable, you breath in/out great, and get absolutely NO smell from outside. I have used it for more than an hour (my compressor auto-switches off so I do 30-45 min sessions) and I hardly notice I have it on.

• Like 3

Also, just to enable, just got an email newsletter that Fantization is running a Memorial Day weekend sale for 20% of site wide w/o coupon code. Starts today 05/20/15 and ends on 05/26/15 at 8am PST.

I didn't need to know this....
With some bills I had pop up I don't have money for it anyways
  • Like 1

GUYS!!!! THERES NEW NUMENERA FIGURE SIN THE GALLERY!1!!

Edit: This totally meant to go in Randomness. >_< I got a little excited with the tabs. Sorry guys! I havent acquired these yet...but when I do.....

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 4