Department of Acquisitions

Thrym

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I blame all of you that I went out and bought an airbrush and compressor from Michael's last night.

Guess I should buy a mask too, before I play too much with it?

Ub3r! You enabler!!

Should get a mask, or paint outside and upwind. And if you're like many of us, will ignore that anyway.

• Like 5

So, I blame all of you that I went out and bought an airbrush and compressor from Michael's last night.

As I said above, for the price of 2-3 minis, why risk your lungs which you cannot replace?

You will understand when something like window cleaner gets in your nose and you can't stop sneezing, or get a sore throat.

• Like 8

As I said above, for the price of 2-3 minis, why risk your lungs which you cannot replace?

You will understand when something like window cleaner gets in your nose and you can't stop sneezing, or get a sore throat.

Yeah, if I'd seen the posts about the mask I would have bought one of those last night too, because when I got the compressor home, I found that I needed a regulator because it didn't come with one.

And then when I got home from Lowes, realized the regulator was backwards, so had to make a second trip to get converters.

And then realized I didn't buy teflon tape so it leaks like crazy.  So I'll be going and getting Teflon tape tonight and to get back to my point... What type of mask should I buy again?

Edited by Lochar
  • Like 4

My recomendation, the one I use, is a Half Face Mask Respirator, model 6200 from 3M. From what I see, it is a widely available, relatibly inexpensive mask. It covers nose and mouth, seals nicely on your face, has two supports (one over your head to support the weight, one around your neck to hold it tight, all elastic bands) and is very comfortable.

You need filters to attach to it, it takes two filters. My recommendation is a pair of 6001 Organic Vapor filter, which will stop not just dust but also alcohol vapors and acetone. Apparently there are some pre-filter snap ons that help with small dust too... I am seeing a set of mask, 6001 filters and that pre-filter cover online for less than 20 USD.

There are three mask sizes, small, medium and large. I have the medium, so I don't know how much they differ between each other.

This is the mask without filters:

3M6200%20double%20mask-500x500.jpg

All the light grey is soft rubber.

• Like 6

I just can't stand how loud airbrushes are. The rattling sparks my nerves. o_o

Really? Good compressors' engines are not louder than a refrigerator. 

Problem is that we get stuff labelled as "hobby", charged 3 times as much, and 10 times louder.

I have a chinese compressor that makes some noice, yes, but nothing the radio on normal volume does not cover easily.

• Like 2

The one I witnessed at cmon last year (guy was having an airbrushing class) was pretty loud. Then I've watched a few videos of Pepas painting classes on YouTube and theirs were loud too. I've a tiny office I paint from, I can just imagine it being deafening in there o_o.

I'll have to do a ton of reading up on quieter ones when/if I plan to buy one.

I found out my wife has never seen Dark Crystal or Legend. I just ordered a DVD of each.

And you married her anyway??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Todd quoted Dark Crystal on our first date and I knew he was the one.

• Like 7

The one I witnessed at cmon last year (guy was having an airbrushing class) was pretty loud. Then I've watched a few videos of Pepas painting classes on YouTube and theirs were loud too. I've a tiny office I paint from, I can just imagine it being deafening in there o_o.

I'll have to do a ton of reading up on quieter ones when/if I plan to buy one.

Mmm... seems I need to finally edit - re shoot the "Airbrushing for Newbies, by a Newbie" I have in the backburner... my place is small as well and I am no near bothered by the compressor's sound. 

• Like 3

Mine make some noise but it doesn't bother me. My cat is skittish around noises and he will sleep in my painting area while it is on.

As for masks I used to not wear one for years. I thin with water and have a spray off container. You still get paint in your nose.

Todd found out I wasn't using a mask.... He gave me some 3M ones he got when he went to Beijing for work. They are specifically made so that they keep particles out of your nose and mouth due to the pollution in that area. I find them really annoying, but I also have glasses on top of them and normally have lipstick or gloss on.

• Like 1

I found out my wife has never seen Dark Crystal or Legend. I just ordered a DVD of each.

And you married her anyway??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Todd quoted Dark Crystal on our first date and I knew he was the one.
I may have done the same. I quote movies all the time. Only recently has she begun to get the references. Edited by Talae
  • Like 1