Department of Acquisitions

Thrym

Is my hope I can get it working. The friend who shipped it is in the states visiting from Australia. I worry that if he has to make the claim it's going to be a PITA. I'm more upset that this gift was damaged when all they wanted was for me to be able to rejoin them in our online games.

They just want me to come out and play!! :(

• Like 6

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the most glorious and fantastic friends ever. They banded together and built me a computer which I received yesterday. They had to ship the 45 lbs monstrosity.

I opened the box with a hole in the side to find the steel case was dented. From the front ... the dent was significant and very close to the video card. There was rattling, and upon taking off the cover, pieces fell out and the front had to have the drive bay covers reattached.

I checked everything while IMing the friend who put it together (she was MOST upset) and we tried to power it on. Nope. :'(

After much tossing and turning last night I thought maybe some wires were loose. I traced the wires from the power button on the case and found the power/reset cables were not plugged in to the motherboard (red, white, and grey striped).

I can only HOPE that upon returning home tonight I can get it working and the hard drive or video card were not damaged by the impact.

I have awesome friends. The shipping company sucked. *sobs*

I built and shipped someone a computer once, and the CPU heatsink snapped off en route. I shipped UPS and they handled the claim very quickly... I hope your friend gets his money quickly for the poor thing.

Also, I'd check all of the really heavy bits very carefully before turning it on. =/

Those sound like awesome friends, though. I hope you can get back to gaming with them soon!

• Like 4

So a box from a miniature retailer came for me today, and my husband got all excited "let me see what minis you got!" And I was like, there are no minis in there. He seemed incredulous and I told him to open it up. He was very disappointed to find two canisters of army painter primer, and a tub on strong tone quick shade dip.

I was very happy however. :lol:

---

Also got two dresses from Macy's. :)

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 11

I built and shipped someone a computer once, and the CPU heatsink snapped off en route. I shipped UPS and they handled the claim very quickly... I hope your friend gets his money quickly for the poor thing.

Also, I'd check all of the really heavy bits very carefully before turning it on. =/

Those sound like awesome friends, though. I hope you can get back to gaming with them soon!

I have the greatest bestest friends ever. <3 them muchly.

The connector to the front case power button had come off. Reconnected. Reseated the video card, futzed with getting the correct drivers for my wireless LAN, and now updating Win 7 happily.

And sooooo quiet with 5 fans going! Quietest comp I've ever had.

My friends are, of course, happy the computer is running. Kids can't wait to use it (but have to wait until I get an antivirus installed), and now I want to acquire sleep.

• Like 9

I built and shipped someone a computer once, and the CPU heatsink snapped off en route. I shipped UPS and they handled the claim very quickly... I hope your friend gets his money quickly for the poor thing.

I have the greatest bestest friends ever. <3 them muchly.

The connector to the front case power button had come off. Reconnected. Reseated the video card, futzed with getting the correct drivers for my wireless LAN, and now updating Win 7 happily.

And sooooo quiet with 5 fans going! Quietest comp I've ever had.

My friends are, of course, happy the computer is running. Kids can't wait to use it (but have to wait until I get an antivirus installed), and now I want to acquire sleep.

What a wonderful gift. I'm so happy it's working for you!
  • Like 3

I've been building my computers since 1993, it really saves the hassles and expenses of not knowing how to do it. And the modular nature means I can slowly keep it upgraded over time, I put in a 970 last year. Of course, I still mostly play minecraft, but with SHADERS :p

• Like 6

My father's main hobby is putting computer components together. He completely built my desktop computer from scratch. So every now and then he'll come over to install an upgrade. Generally if I make any mention whatsoever of a computer component or upgrade that would be nice, he appears with it. He just gave me a second monitor because I mentioned how weird it is to work all day with two big monitors and then come home to only one.

I also recently hinted that my graphics card is getting a bit old for the newer games coming out...

Ok, so I'm kind of terrible. But I was never one of those girls that demanded daddy's credit card or new cars or anything like that. So that justifies it, right? Right. ::P:

• Like 7

My husband is a computer person, used to do IT, now an engineer.

I know nothing about computers, he built mine, fixes it and upgrades it.

The last time it was tweaked was to play Skyrim. I don't play a lot of newer graphically involved games so he doesn't have to upgrade it often. :)

• Like 4

Woot!

Double Acquisition Day!

Got my Flesh Golem from the Minion Minis Kickstarter this morning (and he looks awesome!).

And, just now I got my shipping notice for my Kingdom Death: Monster Small Rewards box:-

Your small reward box includes:
1 x White Speaker: Plastic
1 x Rawhide Dame: Plastic (ppin_1)
1 x Phoenix Dancer: Plastic (ppin_2)
1 x Lioness: Plastic (ppin_3)
1 x Primal Huntress: Plastic (ppin_4)
1 x Dragon Sacrifice: Plastic (ppin_5)
1 x Sunstalker Dancer: Plastic (ppin_7)
1 x Leather Queen: Plastic (ppin_8)
1 x Twilight Witch: Plastic (ppin_9)
1 x Lantern Festival: Plastic (ppin_10)
1 x Spider Silk Assassin: Plastic (ppin_11)
1 x Allison the Twilight Knight: Plastic (ppin_12)
1 x Promo: Holiday White Speaker Nico (kss_2)
1 x Promo: Candy and Cola (kss_3)
1 x Promo: Kara Black (kss_4)
1 x Messenger of Courage (kss_5)
1 x Messenger of the Spiral Path (kss_6)
1 x Messenger of the First Story (kss_7)
1 x Messenger of Humanity (kss_8)
1 x Beyond the Wall (kss_10)
1 x Thsirt 2XL ( xxl)

Didn't realize they'd starting shipping the non-US ones (had to stop reading the KS comments, as fulfilment seems to have increased the whining bizarrely enough), so that was a really nice surprise.

• Like 5

They did the test run on US orders and then switched to international for fulfillment on wave 1. Wave '1.1' doesn't include orders with resins or armor kits. I believe wave '1.2' adds the resins into the mix, with wave '1.3' adding the armor kits; but that's not the official word.

I did get a message from Adam asking my t-shirt size and final shipping address yesterday...

• Like 5

Bloodhowl, in response to a post about finding a replacement for gryphonne sepia (which I all but used up on Kaladrax) sent me a big bottle of homemade Griffin Sepia wash!! 

And 3 others!!! Armor wash, heavy black and heavy sepia!!!

I'm not sure the exact volume, but they've got to be about 1 fl oz/30 ml each!!

• Like 9