Wargames Factory woodland Indians

Cat-a-day calendar

The Oatmeal's "How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you"

Sony Blu-ray player

Jurassic World on Blu-ray

Lindt truffles (peanut butter)

Lego minifigure (evil wizard dude)

Crossword book

Plus whatever my sister gets me when she comes tomorrow night.

• Like 8

My 12 Days order came in yesterday...er...maybe it was Tuesday. I can't remember, exactly.

• 01581 Christmas Dragon Hoard
  • 03686 Dreg Chieftan
  • 03687 Dreg Devourer and Slinker
  • 03688 Dreg Butchers
  • 03723 Death Shroud
  • 03737 Tombstone of Sorrow
  • 03738 Tombstone of Protection
  • 03739 Female Wraith
  • 09419 MSP BONES Tropical Blue (HD)
  • 29837 MSP Armor Grey (HD)
  • 29844 MSP Blue Flame (HD)
  • 61109 MSP Heavy Gear Blitz! Armadillo Tusk (HD)
  • Like 10

My Christmas present to myself...

In the process of making tiny home-made versions of my standard sculpting tools out of ground-down paperclips and some pine scraps.

Making two double ended tools - one a leaf blade and a regular blade (from the paperclips) and another with a point and a chisel blade (made from the tiny pins I usually use for pinning).

May make myself one of those rounded things for smoothing sometime next week if I get around to it.

• Like 7

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!

Christmas gifts were exchanged yesterday evening.

The girls spoiled me with:

a Sweater

a Blouse

men's perfume from Dunhill

Men's perfume from Vespa

a Rucksack

season 4 from Game of Thrones

CD Motörhead Bad Magic

CD Motörhead Orgasmatron

Chocolate with hazelnuts

Chocolate with Butterschotch

Donald Duck Pocket Fantasy 1. ( because fantasy ::P: )

a book - Uprooted - Naomi Novik ( Fantasy novel)

a bottle of lemon cheesecake liquor

Foodies magazine christmas special

And I got lots of basing stuff, rocks, snow, sand, moss, gravel.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 9

Sadly no one bit on any of the basing material I requested, but I did end up with some hobby related items:

• Frostgrave
  • Frostgrave - Thaw of the Lich Lord
  • The Vikings (Osprey book)
  • Numenera
  • Realms - the Roleplaying Game Art of Tony DiTerlizzi
  • Porcelain well pallet
  • Giant wet pallet
  • Magnifying Visor

Edit: And to follow up on the previous acquisition, I grilled the king crab today, and it was good.

• Like 10

Yes, BRASS wire. It's too thin to be called a rod, really, about 26 gauge thickness, and all coiled up. Still kinda scratching my head over that. For the life of me I can't figure out what the hell someone would use brass wire that thin for.

I have seen it used in handmade crafts (jewelry, decorations, sculpture, etc.) because they wanted the brass color before.

The one that seems most common in my memory is a metal wire cage that holds a semi-precious gem or crystal as part of jewelry (earring, necklace, bracelet).

This does remind me that I need to get more galvanized steel wire.

I used mine up making these diffusers for my work / photography lights.

img_1243_corrections_resized_650x650_56_

The rocks were free.

This is what I got during the 12 Days of Christmas.

Order 1

01405: 2001 Christmas Sophie (9.99) x1

01550: Christmas Eve (9.99) x1

01577: Santa Dwarf (2015) (9.99) x1

01579: Sir Ulther, Christmas Knight (9.99) x1

01524: Reaper Con 2014 Cowgirl Sophie by Bobby Jackson

Order 2

01551: Christmas Knight (9.99) x1

01552: Santa Dwarf (2014) (9.99) x1

09999: Reaper Paint Caddy (19.99) x1

01559: Malena the Sorceress, by Bobby Jackson

Order 3

14215: Hound Of Judgement,Crusaders Solo (7.49) x1

14504: Saproling Warrior, Elf Adept (5.99) x1

14647: Nadezhda the White, Ice Sorceress (8.79) x1

50217: The Black Mist (6.99) x1

60191: O-Sayumi (6.29) x1

01503: Reaper Con 2006 Bourbon Street Sophie by Bob Ridolfi

Order 4

01435: 2011 Sophie Christmas Ornament (12.99) x1

01578: Carol, Christmas Bard (9.99) x1

02793: Arianna,Fairy Princess (7.99) x1

50308: Vermina (5.99) x1

01501: Reaper Con 2004 Sophie by Gael Goumon

Bourbon Street Sophie and Arianna,Fairy Princess are going to get a wing swap.

• Like 12

This does remind me that I need to get more galvanized steel wire.

I used mine up making these diffusers for my work / photography lights.

img_1243_corrections_resized_650x650_56_

That Is very Clever!

I was thinking of going out and getting some embroidery hoops to make the rings for diffusers, now I may have to try this instead!

Do you use those same lights to paint with?

Because mine do double duty for painting and photography, so I I think I want the diffusers out of the way when I paint...

George

• Like 2

That Is very Clever!

I was thinking of going out and getting some embroidery hoops to make the rings for diffusers, now I may have to try this instead!

The embroidery hoops would probably be easier for the ring part since this stiff wire is hard to bend into a decent circle.

Bending the two ends of the wire so they don't move past each other changing the size of the circle required crimping the ~2 inch area I wrapped the wires around each other with vise grip pliers.

It can't guess if it is cheaper or not since the coil of wire I used up lasted me ~6 years so I have no idea what the current price would be.

Do you use those same lights to paint with?

Because mine do double duty for painting and photography, so I I think I want the diffusers out of the way when I paint...

I have not tried painting with them yet.

I am just getting back into painting anything after several years and I don't think I did much miniature painting back then.

I ordered some primer for metal and plastic models and brown liner for bones today so I should be painting in the next week or two.

The diffusers are actually removable though you need pliers to do it.

They are held onto the desk lamps by two hooks that go around the bendable neck right below the lamp housing with each one facing the opposite direction.

One of the wires is bent around the base of the on/off knob so it can't drift out of position.

Blue painters tape keeps the other wire in position.

It is also possible to remove the filter itself because I only taped it to the ring.

I don't want to get creases in the paper while it is loose since I had to glue cardboard to it to get the tape to stick and I don't want to do that again.

My workroom smelled like super glue for hours since I had to saturate the cardboard with glue because it absorbed it so well.

Each desk lamp probably costs about ~$35-40 with the diffusers included.

The lamp was ~$10 and the bulb ~$20.

I already had the stuff to make the diffusers (Galvanized Steel Wire, Parchment Paper, Thin Cardboard (Club Cracker Box), Super Glue, and Duck Tape) so I don't know exactly how much they cost to make.

The table lamps are styleselections "Desk Lamp" (#0475381) and the lamps I used are 13 W (850 lumens | Color Temperature: 5000 K | CRI: 84) Sylvania "Ultra LED Natural Daylight" Floodlamps (LED13PAR30LN/DIM/850/FL40/G3/RP).

I got both at Lowes.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 6

Depending on the shape of the lights involved, it shouldn't be too difficult to rig up a wire configuration that would allow them to be easily removable while still holding them in place well enough... Maybe build two halves of a cage, top and bottom, to go around the light with a hinge on one side and a hook and eye on the other side, with the frame for the diffuser attached to the top side of it... Wouldn't really need to be perfectly snug in order to hold the thing in place.

• Like 1

Really only thing I got for Christmas was a gift card for Panda Express. My mom did give me a big bag of Hersey's kisses. This is due to a inside joke.

Kids in the other hand made out like bandits robbing 5 banks. ...jeesh.

• Like 5

I find that my old "Benbo 2" tripod as good as it is outdoors is just too large for indoor macro work.

It also does not work as well with the heavier camera (28.6 oz / 1.7875 lb without a lens) I use now.

My "Velbon Super Mag Slider Macro Rail" focusing rail can't handle the newer camera either and droops noticeably.

I am going to replace the tripod with a "Giottos Pro Series 9384 Aluminum YTL Silk Road Tripod" ($166.00).

Replacing the focusing rail is harder since the ones that can handle the weight of the new camera and adjust in two directions start at about $600.

I am going to get two "Dot Line Adjustable Camera Platform (6.0")" ($17.95) and see how well they work.

I think they should be fine for the horizontal adjustment since I always felt the Velborn adjustment was too fine in that direction anyway.

If the adjustment is not fine enough for the forward back direction I think the best option is to use a "Kirk FR-2 Focusing Rail" ($299.00) but I want to try something cheaper first.

I just need to wait about 4 hours for the B&H website to take orders again.

• Like 3

I got some cork and popsicle sticks from Michael's while I was out.

I've got plans, y'see....

• Like 8

I got some cork and popsicle sticks from Michael's while I was out.

I've got plans, y'see....

You're making cork popsicles, aren't you?

• Like 4