If you could green light any one movie, what would it be?

The Wood Between the Worlds

An open ended prequel to The Magician's Nephew that could turn into a series of **prequels or sequels. (Wood Between the Worlds VIII, etc.). In The Magician's Nephew there are these magic rings, one color will take you to The Wood, the other color will let you step into a pool and be drawn into the world that corresponds to that pool. The ordinary earth is but one of many, many, pools that dot the floor of that endless wood. Worlds that are long gone are represented by dried up pools.

**In The Magician's Nephew the origin of the rings was never fully explained and they were buried at the end; In The Last Battle a plan was afoot to recover and use the rings but their ultimate fate was left undetermined so both prequels and sequels are possible.

• Like 2
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honor Harrington gets my vote. I'd actually like to see the early stuff, either On Basilisk Station or even the one of the prequel stories, from before she became the legend and the stories became too bloated. And I want Stephanie Jacobsen to play her:

battlestar-galactica-razor-2007112108274

• Like 2

Wow. One of my alternates that I was considering mentioning is a Dr. strange movie but I figured that was one super hero that would just never get a movie. Now I find out that Marvel is looking to make one.

I'm alternating from happy because going on their track record for the last few years Marvel is actually likely to make a movie I'll enjoy to kinda scared they'll make it too campy.

They could do some really cool stuff with a Dr. Strange franchise.

• Like 2

Heh, my first thought at seeing the thread title was del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness. I guess maybe a Marvel solo film for some of the cooler superheroines? Black Widow, the current Captain and Ms. Marvels, the younger Hawkeye... any of those could have awesome movies.

Definitely would like to see the Marvel Now Ms Marvel. I also think the Fearless Defenders could be a wicked movie, but I've always been a fan of the Defenders.

For Dr Strange, I just wish they'd cast Benedict Cumberbatch. And then roll in the Marvel Now Illyana Rasputin/Magik.

• Like 1

Definitely would like to see the Marvel Now Ms Marvel. I also think the Fearless Defenders could be a wicked movie, but I've always been a fan of the Defenders.

For Dr Strange, I just wish they'd cast Benedict Cumberbatch. And then roll in the Marvel Now Illyana Rasputin/Magik.

I haven't seen any casting rumors for Doc yet. But it's being directed by Scott Derrickson.

The Tick

Live action, or animated?

I haven't seen any casting rumors for Doc yet. But it's being directed by Scott Derrickson.

The only rumor I've seen is Jared Leto, which seems like an appalling choice.
  • Like 2

They could do some really cool stuff with a Dr. Strange franchise.

Especially with the director they've chosen...

I don't understand this.

I have seen a few comments on line that are excited by the news Scott Derrickson was hired as the Doctor Strange director, but I don't know why. I'm not much of a horror fan, so I haven't seen The Exorcism of Emily Rose or Sinister, which unfortunately leaves me with The Day the Earth Stood Still. And that was a very bad film, an insult to the memory of the original classic. It has a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 5.5 on IMDB, and I really don't know how it got 5.5.

But even his better received films only managed 45% RT and 6.7 IMDB for Emily Rose and 63% RT and 6.8 IMDB for Sinister. Those are both respectable showings for modestly budgeted films, but hardly cause for excitement. And Doctor Strange isn't really horror, though the comics do sometimes have horror elements.

I'm certainly willing to keep an open mind. I always liked Doctor Strange, and I hope they can do well by him. But because of the fantastical elements, it might be hard to capture the essence without seeming silly. Summoning the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak or the Winds of Watoomb while shouting "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" and floating in a very flamboyant cape without smirking could be tough. Maybe that's why they want a primarily horror director, so he will keep the absurdity in check. We don't need another Ghost Rider.

By the way, the latest rumour has it that they are looking at Jared Leto as Doctor Strange. His face doesn't look how I pictured the Doctor, but again, I'd like to keep an open mind.

I actually think Doctor Strange is one of the superheroes they could cast as a different race without causing too much fuss. He doesn't really have much of a cultural component to his character, he was just a rich arrogant surgeon before his accident and rebirth. I could easily see Chiwetel Ejiofor or Boris Kodjoe playing the part. Or to go in a different direction, how great would Naveen Andrews, Sendhil Ramamurthy or Daniel Dae Kim be? Marvel has been taking great chances on properties to adapt, it'd be awesome if they started taking chances in other areas, like ethnicity and gender.

• Like 3

If we're going to cast without regard to race of the original (which I'm totally cool with), my vote for Dr. Strange is Idris Elba. But then I would watch Idris Elba in just about anything.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 4

Idris would be fantastic, but he has already been in Thor, so no way he'd be considered for Doctor Strange. I left Denzel Washington off the list as well, he could play anything, but I was trying to pick guys who would be likely to take the job if offered the chance to star in a summer blockbuster.

• Like 2

I honestly don't know what movie I'd like to green-light, but I would love it if I could work on a movie with old-school miniature sets (even if it all ends up being "enhanced" by CGI effects), a la the original Star Wars trilogy.  I know that once something becomes WORK rather than hobby -- and if the hours are nasty -- the luster tends to wear off, but for me that's about as close as it gets to a "dream job."  :)