Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

Ral Partha Battlemech :: Dragon DRG-1N :: Grey Death Legion, Pennant Lance

Painting In Memorium, Amalor Myrnnyx

From my entry post for the submissions:

I've been working on replicating a lance design I made for Battletech based on the "Grey Death Legion" mercenaries from the novels and resource book.

My version of the mercenary company had added some additional mechs including the Pennant Lance, an Assault class lance. The original lance is made up of the following, Harlston Jacks' Grand Titan (leader), Bama Fujita's Battlemaster, Muriko Sampson's Awesome, and Wendy Mayhem's Archer.

I think I got it pretty close using some of my current training to maintain details.

Let me start out saying that the mech painted below couldn't touch one of Amalor's mech paint jobs.  I learned a lot just from examining what he did.

60-Ton Dragon DRG-1N Mech

GDL_Dragon_Front_Back.jpg

GDL_Logo.jpg

GDL_Dragon_Front_Left_Right.jpg

GDL_Dragon_Back_Left_Right.jpg

Unlike the previous mechs I painted in the schema, the Dragon mech has lots of details with the armor "scales" so it was difficult to get paint coverage and maintain the details.

When I first did the "dragon skull" the eyes at the left and the right were too small.  You can see it in the preview image from the memorial post:

Grey_Death_Legion_-_Dragon_and_Grand_Tit 

So when I went to do the basing I added a larger section to the "eye" and that allowed me to break up the two large white plains a bit.

GDL_Dragon_Head_Example.jpg

I also used a micro pen to strengthen lines and details all over the mech.  They are quite handy for doing details.  You just have to remember they are ink instead of paint and they don't dry right away.  I will sometimes use some acrylic sealer to expedite the process of drying the ink.  I have the Micron 01 Assorted Colors Pens.

Here's a group shot of the previously painted lance schema with the Dragon.  It was taken before finishing touches were added to the Dragon.

Grey_Death_Trio.jpg

Comments and Criticism welcome.  I know it's not nearly up to Amalor's level but it's in the spirit of my old lance and I did manage to get something quite similar.

• Like 15

Bought a pair these dice to go with this unit:

Battletech-GDL-Dice.jpg

Can't wait to see how well Greyson Death Carlisle does with these dice backing him.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      So I don't know much about Battletech, more of a fantasy guy myself, but I do like these figures which are some Mech Warriors that were sculpted back in the eighties by Bob Charette that Ral Partha just recently re-released.  They have eight per pack with different poses, and I got these first from the Liao Faction/Clan/Family.  Going to eventually get through the whole group and I'll eventually photograph the whole group together, which is why I haven't based them yet.  I've been told these are the pilots for the Mechs and it's very hot in the cockpit, which is why they are pretty scantily clad.

These are eighties Partha, so they are some pretty small  25mm sized figures.  More to come later as I finish them!

Enjoy!
    • By Weird-O
      FINALLY back in a WarShip frame of mind, so here we go! First up is the Essex-class CDS Architeuthis:

Up next is Alliance Naval Star, consisting of the Nightlord-class CSR Lynn McKenna, Essex-class CSR Marshal Ney and CSR Mulhacén, Whirlwind-class CSR William Adams, and Fredasa-class CSR Kutkh.

• By Xiwo Xerase
      These are the first four BattleTech miniatures I've painted this year.  They have been painted to tabletop quality.  The WIP for them is over here.

The four miniatures featured here are: (from left to right)
      Catalyst Game Labs Catapult, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack. Iron Wind Metals 20-211, Archer ARC-8M, metal (standing in for an Archer ARC-2R). Iron Wind Metals 20-200, Griffin GRF-6S, metal (standing in for a Griffin GRF-3M). Catalyst Game Labs Cyclops, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack.  
      They are painted in the parade scheme of the Free Worlds League Marik Militia: "purple, with highlights in red on the right side, and in blue on the left".

For an idea of size, here's the obligatory picture with Sir Forscale:

Individual pictures of the minis are hidden under spoilers.

Archer:

Catapult:

Cyclops:

Griffin:

The two metal miniatures have been based using Iron Wind Metals hex bases.  The plastic minis were removed from their integral bases and based on Proxie Model hex bases.  The basing is simply paver sand glued down with superglue and painted.

The paints used were: (all Reaper paints)
      Primary purple: Amethyst Purple, highlighted with Sorcerous Mist and Spectral White Blue accents: Cyan Blue, highlighted with Ultramarine Highlight Red accents: Phoenix Red, highlighted with Fire Orange Weapon barrels: Honed Steel, highlighted with Blade Steel, Filigree Silver, and Shining Mithril Joints and other metals: Tarnished Steel, highlighted with Blade Steel, Filigree Silver, and Shining Mithril Hands and other "rubber" parts: Stone Grey, highlighted with Weathered Stone Cockpits: Adamantium Black, highlighted with Pearl White and Vallejo Metal Medium Base sand: Yellowed Ivory, highlighted with Creamy Ivory Base rim: Gem Purple Wash: A mix of Brown Wash and Flow Improver  
      As noted in the WIP thread:
      There are some mold lines that didn't get filed down. There is some detail that should probably have been enhanced (for example, filing down more on the Griffin's missile pod and recreating that detail, or drilling some of the missile launcher holes deeper). Some detail in the Archer's missile launchers was obscured by CA glue.  (Gluing on the missile launcher doors was painful.) When the Catapult was removed from its integral base, its outside toes were mangled.  
      As always, constructive criticism and comments are welcome.  I won't be doing further work on these minis (unless I break one) but I can always use advice for painting future minis.
    • By Sylverthorne
      So.. this is happening.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1141913215/mech-cockpit-simulator

I'm not sure what I can say about this that isn't said on the page; other than it looks like a sheet management toy that could be a lot of fun to mess with.

I'll let you guys judge effectiveness for yourselves. ;p
    • By Weird-O
      I don't play them that often these days, but the Northwind Highlanders mercenary regiments will always build a dear place in my heart, as their sourcebook was one of the very first Battletech products I ever bought. I'm especially happy with how the Locust turned out.

• Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)