Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Hurin of Anhur

Another day, another attempt!

WP_20140606_007_zps48cc2563.jpg

WP_20140606_008_zpsf940f7e9.jpg

WP_20140606_009_zpsf636dddf.jpg

I'm not happy with the pictures I was able to take AT ALL lol. I was fairly pleased with the way this turned out, at least in part. I base-coated with a bluish gray (all the armor), and then dry-brushed highlights with a metallic silver. I left my homemade wash off this time. Also, big news as per everyone's previous advice: I took a shot at lining. Just used black and hit edges/boundaries. Hopefully it's noticable. He doesn't feel AS dark in person (the purple of his under-shirt-skirt deal isn't coming through at all here, I don't think), but I'm wondering now, looking at the pictures, if I should try a round of lighter dry-brushing. I did a little white, but I'm not sure it worked out. This was my first time using metallics really, too.

Once again, advice for improving is supremely appreciated!

• Like 15

Yup, I can see the lining. It's barely discernible, but it's there. And I'll emphasize (and echo) everyone else here on the forums: higher highlights, and deeper shadows, almost never hurt. His leg plates kind of blend into his pants, and his armor into his underskirt-thingy. Deeper shadows between them would help them be separate pieces.

Keep practicing, and good work so far!  ::):

• Like 3

An adventurer many parties would be happy to have at their table!

• Like 1

Ah, okay. Darker underneath makes sense. I was worried about having everything the same color--some greater separation would definitely be good.

ETA: And thanks, you guys!

Edited by Marvin

The silver you used for the sword should be your highlight for the armor

It's the same stuff! The gray with which I base-coated is soaking it up or otherwise seriously muting it, I guess? What can I do about it? More coats? Mix with some white?

It's the same stuff! The gray with which I base-coated is soaking it up or otherwise seriously muting it, I guess? What can I do about it? More coats? Mix with some white?

I would try a little white to see if it shows more

• Like 1

I would try a little white to see if it shows more

Sounds good!

Update:

WP_20140606_021_zps2f2ef50e.jpg

WP_20140606_020_zps5a3293eb.jpg

Mixed white into my metallic as Grim suggested, and I think that did the trick! Thanks for the advice, Grim.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fanguad
      I haven't been painting much Reaper lately, but painted up this beastie for Jimmy The Brush's July community challenge.

Everything on the beast is TMM.

• By Glitterwolf
      Artisan Guild 3D Design.
      Printed on my Elegoo Mars.

Part of my Horde of the North Project.
      WIP here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79398-horde-of-the-north-glitterwolf-paints-barbarians-and-mammoths/&tab=comments#comment-1686478

Here she is.
      For those interested she is a free sample on Thingieverse.

• By Vytau
      So here is one of two converted Kang, Half-Orcs (02514) I've done.  Pretty sure I posted the other one around here somewhere...maybe I'll try to dig it up later for a side-by-side. 

Anyway, here goes:  

Kang Half-Orc converted to carry a Reaper Bow in his left hand  and a battleaxe in his right (the plastic Bones 3 weapon sprues).  Also has a shield (a GW bit from a really old Brettonian knight) and a GW quiver (Mordheim / Empire free company).   Shield painted purple and yellow because I like color and I get bored painting "realistic" neutrals & darks & such.  As always, my mini photography skills are complete butt thanks in part to using a really cheap light box and a really cheap camera phone.  

99% reaper paints:  Olive triad mixed with scholar flesh, pure black and white, woodland brown, ashen brown, white metal triad, various washes. 

This mini actually has kind of a weird story.  

This mini represents my character Zarkosh Bowyer in a short Wildemount campaign.  This campaign is being played 100% online thanks to COVID-19, so he is 100% unnecessary.  Same goes for another mini I painted (Duke Gerard in Bones and Metal) which was for a DIFFERENT 100% online campaign.  But that's only part of the backstory. 

I actually BOUGHT this miniature back in like 2004.  I bought two of him - my friend & roommate and I decided to play Barbarian brothers from the same tribe.  I converted and painted mine to carry a war hammer and a shield.  My roommate never got around to doing anything with his, and so it went back in my "Someday" box.  

For sixteen years. 

Anyway, I finally got around to doing something with the mini - hopefully, Zarkosh does better in this campaign than the previous character incarnating the mini did in his!  

May come back and tidy up some edges & half-tones, may not.  Don't know how much more time I want to give this one.  Probably won't get TONS better than it is now, so here we go. 

• By DragonWyrm
      I painted most of these figures quickly or experiment when I did so. The exception is the reaper figure. I didn't really paint his face with too much detail, you can't see it due to the hat and what I did paint is sufficient (white eyes, basic colour variation on skin). 

Lords

Duelists
      They look better in person (I swear, the light makes the skin look washed out more than it is, plus the hair has darker shadows.)

Feedback and Critiques are welcome and appreciated. 

• By Skiatis
      This is my first mini painting, just finished it tonight. I have a lot to learn, especially the correct way to dry brush. But I followed a Reaper paint kit on the steps for their minis and this is what I came up with.

Once I get the hang of the minis themselves I'd like to learn to make custom bases, this one just looks awful as is.

For some reason I can't get the picture to show the color true either, it's a much more grayish blue than this bright color that is shown.

All in all, I'm pleased with its turn out.

• Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)