Atomic Hero (was Archon Raygun) - Latest: v2016-06-19_01.

I'm writing/adapting a raygun skirmish game with the intent to host it at Reapercon 2015.  Here's the intro:

Archon IV:  Planet of dreams come true; planet of nightmare made flesh; planet of adventure!  Experience larger-than-life heroes, villains and aliens!  Take part in amazing adventure and thrilling heroics!  Rocketships, rayguns, strange and beautiful aliens and locales fill our heroes’ days!  Villains, masterminds, galactic conquest, and shining spires fill the nights!

Archon Raygun is a one-sheet game of cinematic swashbuckling with rocketships and rayguns, playable with 5-10 figures per side, in a couple of hours.

If you are interested in playtesting it, you can find the document folder at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6HUGmJgXqKHS1RIU0hZMHdJWE0

I would love to have your actual results-of-play feedback on this, posted here or sent to me privately.  I want this to be as good as it can be by the time the con rolls around.

Feel free to stat up any appropriate Reaper figures and post the stats here - I hope to compose a roster as well.  Make up new skills, new weapons, whatever you want.

I do reserve final editorial authority - should be obvious and I'll not be a jerk about it, but I do have to say it.

Thanks in advance!

ETA 6/19/16:  Changed the game name to "Atomic Hero".

Edited by Froggy the Great
  • Like 2
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Downloaded.  I just picked up a copy of this guy:

80019_w_1.jpg

I'll have a go at making stats for him:

Jazz Jankins :: Archon Raygun Stats Box :: 1st 2nd Draft

Rating: 2    Wounds: 3

Equipment:

Heavy Energy Rifle :: Range 18; Ballistic/Ablative Armor

Heavy Armor Ballistic/Ablative (2)

Skills List:

Dead Shot, **Driver (1), Energy Weapons (2), Fearless, Heroic Dodge, Melee Fighting (2), Projectile Weapons (1), **Tough (1)

**New skills and equipment explanations:

Driver (x) -- this reflects skill at operating wheeled or tracked motor vehicles: tanks, half tracks, trucks, bikes.

Tough (x) -- the number is the additional wounds above the number derived from the base rating.

Ballistic/Ablative Armor: gives protection against projectiles and energy weapons.

Heavy Armor Ballistic/Ablative (2) model may re-roll 2 dice when defending against projectile or energy beam attacks.

Edited to Incorporate Froggy's recommendations.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

Made changes to Jazz per suggestion. I don't have one of these but pondering a stat box for him is just too much fun to resist:

80001_w_1.jpg

Ape-X, Simian Cyborg :: Archon Raygun Stats Box :: 1st Draft

Rating: 1    Wounds: 5

Equipment:

Integral Chain Gun :: Range Bands 12"

Heavy Armored Power Fist**

Targeting Monocle**

Skills List:

Duelist, Fearsome (2), Fearless, Heroic Leap (2), Melee Fighting (3), Projectile Weapons (1), **Rope Monkey (3 - climbing only), **Tough (4)

**New or modified skills and equipment explanations:

Tough (x) -- the number is the additional wounds above the number derived from the base rating.

Rope Monkey -- the only trick this monkey can do with a rope is climb it or heave on it.

Chain Gun -- base range band is 12"; _______________________________ ?

Heavy Armored Power Fist -- allows 2 additional Active or Passive Dice when in melee.

Targeting Monocle ______________________________?__________________

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

I cannot access the document even though others have had success. I click on the link and wait, but my window loads up a blank page. :(

Google was pretty weird about letting me download a PDF. I wonder if I could just attach it to a PM.  Nope. I checked, it won't.

Edited by TGP

More stat boxes:

80017_w_1.jpg

Reginald, IMEF Chain Gunner :: Archon Raygun Stats Box :: 1st Draft

Equipment:

Portable Chain Gun :: Range 18

Skills List:

Artillerist (1), **Driver (1), Fearless, Heroic Dodge, Melee Fighting (2), Projectile Weapons (2), **Tough (1)

Driver (x) -- this reflects skill at operating wheeled or tracked motor vehicles: tanks, half tracks, trucks, bikes.

Heavy Armor Ballistic/Ablative (2) model may re-roll 2 dice when defending against projectile or energy beam attacks.

Next:

77185_w_1.jpg

Silicon-based Alien, Large :: Archon Raygun Stats Box :: 1st Draft

Rating: 1    Wounds: 5

Equipment:

Massive Fists

Massive Armored Hide, Ablative (3) 

Skills List:

Duelist, Extremely Lethal, Fearsome (2), Fearless, Melee Fighting (2), **Tough (4)

Extremely Lethal -- model doubles effects on the Lethal Effects Table (this thing badly hurts anything it hits)

Massive Armored Hide, Ablative (3) -- model may re-roll 3 dice when defending against energy beam attacks.

Edited by TGP

I cannot access the document even though others have had success. I click on the link and wait, but my window loads up a blank page. :(

Email me at [splorg at gmail dot com] and I'll send you a copy.

I uploaded v.2014-06-08_01 based on Saturday's playtest results, both .docx and .pdf (haven't added anything from the thread here yet - it's coming).  If you want to see the changes, enable change tracking on the .docx.

I figure Nick Stone and Jazz would have identical stats. Is more detail needed for the flamethrower?

80018_w_1.jpg

McHugh, IMEF Flamethrower Tech :: Archon Raygun Stats Box :: 1st Draft

Equipment:

Flamethrower :: Range 12

Skills List:

Flame/Gas Weapon (1), **Driver (1), Fearless, Melee Fighting (2), Projectile Weapons (2), **Tough (1)

Flame/Gas Weapon (x) -- skill with weaponry that launches a plume shaped attack.

I figure NOVA corps troops will be similar to these IMEF guys but without "Tough"; only 1 or 2 Wounds & Armor grade 1 instead of 2.

This is fun looking for Reaper models that could figure into a Sci-Fi scenario. It is going to take awhile for me to put together a game though.

80011_w_1.jpg

80012_w_1.jpg80013_w_1.jpg80015_w_1.jpg

NOVA Corp Troops :: Archon Raygun Stats Box :: 1st Draft

Rating: 2    Wounds: 2

Equipment:

Projectile Rifle :: Range 16

Heavy Armor, Ballistic (1)

Skills List:

**Driver (1), Melee Fighting (1), Projectile Weapons (2),

Heavy Armor, Ballistic (1) model may re-roll 1 dice when defending against projectile impacts.

50242_w_1.jpg

Kuthulian Invaders :: Archon Raygun Stats Box :: 1st Draft

Rating: 2    Wounds: 1

Equipment (3 variants):

Twinned Rayguns x2 :: Range 4

Twinned Heavy Raygun :: Range 8

Twinned Energy Gun :: Range 12

Skills List:

Melee Fighting (2), Energy Weapons (2), Pilot (1), Squishy (-1), Twinned Weaponry

Squishy --- model has one less wound than its rating would indicate.

Twinned Weaponry --- each model automatically counts as conducting volley fire equal to the number of barrels it sports.

Very nice!  

So far I have a few, but I lost the bit of paper I had written them on.

I played one game with the original posting - 40pts each, and that went waaaay too long.  I've tweaked the ratings and the current version has movement actions gaining active dice, so things should play much faster.

Try a 30-pt game with these and tell me how it works - I'll try to get in another game as well.