Sign in to follow this  
zaphod

Pin Vices and Safety

I can add another thing to pin vise safety. Keep an eye on it or it may end up in your bed.

End up in your bed?

You know, I really don't even want to know how it got there. :blink:

For those who want a little added protection, my father, who used to do some woodworking passed on some nice protective advice.

There are protective leather (thick leather) finger guards made for woodworkers. A search on Yahoo for "leather finger guards" should get you there. I've got a thumb pad which is great for the way I like to use my x-acto, but they also make finger guards. $.95 (that's 95 cents!) fromTime Motion Tools

The other interesting protective device is a glove weaved out of wire. Woodcraft makes one that has Kevlar and Stainless steel in it...you could stop a bullet (JK, please don't try that!).

This still won't protect you from the inevitable "x-acto rolling-off-the-table-and- landing-blade-first-in-your-thigh" event. You haven't lived until you experience that one! :lol:

Thanks

AWhang

Seeing how we're on the topic of bandages, I'll share a little advice as well.

Feel free to use the spray-on bandages on any minor injury. Do not, however, attempt to use it on any injury that will require three or more stitches.... The pressure of the flowing blood will inflate the bandage like a water balloon, which will in turn burst in a fantastic splash of red gore. You may or may not pass out at the sight of such a mess...

This is the voice of experience talking.... so, pay heed. ::D:

And yes, for the record.... I passed out....

It may be wrong, but......OMG :lol::lol::lol:

This still won't protect you from the inevitable "x-acto rolling-off-the-table-and- landing-blade-first-in-your-thigh" event. You haven't lived until you experience that one! :lol:

Thankfully when that happened to me said blade was dull and didn't even cut my jeans. IT still made me jump though!

It may be wrong, but......OMG :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don't worry, it amuses me, too, particularly since the wound was on my middle finger. Thus, anyone wanting to see the scar receives a rude gesture in return! ::D:

*ROTFLOL*

That was even better Whiz....

I have a friend who literally crushed his left hand in college playing football. He has a metal pin holding his left middle finger together. He went through airport security once before 9/11 and the metal detector beeped. Of course he thought nothing of it. Finally after a few minutes of them searching him and finding nothing and the metal detector still going off, he said "Could it be this?" And he held up his middle finger not thinking what he was doing. Needless to say he was taken to a private room, and strip searched for that until it was realized he had a metal pin in his finger.

I've got one better on that...I did that with a hot woodburner, and I was wearing shorts.

This still won't protect you from the inevitable "x-acto rolling-off-the-table-and- landing-blade-first-in-your-thigh" event.  You haven't lived until you experience that one!  :lol:

I've got one better on that...I did that with a hot woodburner, and I was wearing shorts.

*winces*

Ohh Frosch that sounds beyond painful.

I was at camp, and I was sitting at a workbench doing woodburning. I nicked my knuckle on the hot side of the shield, and then out of reflex dropped the woodburner onto my leg. I think the scar is gone from my leg, but I might have it on my finger still.