Sign in to follow this  
zaphod

Pin Vices and Safety

I burned my fingers once trying to be helpful.  The blisters were pretty nasty.

Are you SO evil that your skin burns by just doing good deeds?

I was working in a kitchen on campus and they were short handed. I was the dishwasher. I was helping make hot sandwiches and pizzas one night and Everyone used a folded cloth to grab things from the oven. I did the same. Only thing was though is that no one had told me that they no longer used that cloth because it was getting threadbare. I grabbed a pan from the oven and about halfway to the prep table I lliterally threw it onto the table and yelped. Those were blisters that took a bit to heal.

I've got one better on that...I did that with a hot woodburner, and I was wearing shorts.

Yikes!

Add a sports cup to the "safety must haves" list.

Thanks

AWhang

I've got one better on that...I did that with a hot woodburner, and I was wearing shorts.

Yikes!

Add a sports cup to the "safety must haves" list.

Thanks

AWhang

I am picturing the youger brother from the movie A Christmas Story after his mom bundles him up under so many layers of clothes and jackets he is unable to move.

Speaking of burns. Nothing compares to the delicate touch of a slight spray of molten lead droplets accross your skin.

Some years back, when I was into casting my own minis, I used plaster molds. On my first try, the molds were not dry enough, so, when I poured the lead, there was this instant hiss and a cloud of vapor out of the mold vents I had carved. Got two or three droplets of lead on my right hand and clothes, and that's an experience not easily forgotten.

Being that we are the issue of personal safety and things that make people say,

"well...I probably should not have done that..."

I'll share with you an item that my wife share's with everyone she meets...

I ran over myself with a car....

LOL!

Do I want to know more? I think not.

Well actually I'm a poor college student so my mini workspace is the spot on my desk infront of my keyboard. This is right next to my bed. I also fidget constantly. Things end up in strange places in my dorm room.

LOL!

Do I want to know more?  I think not.

Well actually I'm a poor college student so my mini workspace is the spot on my desk infront of my keyboard. This is right next to my bed. I also fidget constantly. Things end up in strange places in my dorm room.

OK the fact you are in a dorm room definitely explains it. Dorms rooms are notoriously small at most colleges.

I probably shouldn't be giggling through a thread discussing personal injury. ::P:

Used to do stained glass in college. Now there was a hobby for a klutz. On work nights, I'd routinely come home with at least one good sliced finger, and about half the time with a nice burn. And yes, I did drop the soldering iron on myself. Twice.

There are protective leather (thick leather) finger guards made for woodworkers.  A search on Yahoo for "leather finger guards" should get you there.

Good idea. I've seen the heavy ones but thought they might be a little clumsy for working with miniatures. I use a leather thimble for sewing that's flexible glove leather but with a metal plate over the finger pad (sandwiched between two layers of the leather). Perhaps I'll try rigging up a similar thumb guard.

So......I don't have any injuries like this to add. Does that mean I'm due one? Is the first one the worst and the rest don't bother as much? Should I be afraid to go into my painting room?????

Slicing my fingers open with sharp objects.... Check

Piercing my hand with my dremmel... Check

Burning myself with a Sodering Iron (gripped the wrong end)... Check

Glueing my fingers together with superglue... Check

numerous metal objects in my eye... Check

Besided being trampled by wild elephants I would say I am covered....

Anyone else hear a thundering sound?

Ever seen those shrink-wrap machines that have the super-heated wire-masher mechanism that fuse/seam the shrink wrap around the box?

While managing a software store (a long time ago in a far away galaxy) one of my younger sales associates made a blood curdling scream from the back room. When I got to the store-room door he was nursing his finger (which had a burn pattern suspiciously similar to one received from a heated wire.

I asked what had happened & he replied that he wanted to know how fast the shrink-wrap machines' wire heated up...

heh heh heh heh :devil:

Ever seen those shrink-wrap machines that have the super-heated wire-masher mechanism that fuse/seam the shrink wrap around the box?

While managing a software store (a long time ago in a far away galaxy) one of my younger sales associates made a blood curdling scream from the back room. When I got to the store-room door he was nursing his finger (which had a burn pattern suspiciously similar to one received from a heated wire.

I asked what had happened & he replied that he wanted to know how fast the shrink-wrap machines' wire heated up...

heh heh heh heh :devil:

That was just plain stupidity on the part of the employee there.

I hope you laughed at the idiot.