StoneHaven Miniature Pop-Up Terrain Kits Kickstarter

It's actually my one sadness with these. Because of the offset, a 4x4 "grid" will end up being 4.5 feet in one direction (the offset of the hexes) and 56 inches in the other (because the hexes are 14 inches in the long axis).

A 3x3 will be 42" by 42", so pretty close to perfect for a 4x4' table, but if you want to cover the table exactly, you'll need some funky half-hexes and three-quarter hexes and one-quarter and thirds and so forth. Exactly what you would need is too much math for Monday morning.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gorey had a pop up book for Dracula... and once you reminded me.... Yeah, I can see the similarities.   But I am an enormous Gory fan... and can recite the entirety of the The Gashlycrumb Tinies Alp

Come over to the paper side,   we will let you use the sacred glue, scissors and coloured pencils!

Stonehavens Terrain Kit Kickstarter is now live.   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/pop-up-miniature-terrain-kit   It's a little different as it's for "pop up" style terrain.  

I think you are calculating wrong Sanael. The 14" long axes are not placed end to end, they are offset so it is 14" for one and 7" for the next. Only the 12" should be added directly.

3x3 should be smaller than 42"x42". It would be 42"x35", And if you split one hex down the middle you could make a 36"x35" almost square. There are the little triangles empty along the sides, but they are only 13"x3.5", so I don't think they'd have much negative impact.

A 4x4 pattern would cover 54"x42", but if you split two hexes you could turn it into a 48"x42" board, with three of those little 12"x3.5" triangles missing down each of the 48" sides.

Here's a diagram. The blue are the full sized hexes, the green are the split ones and the black are the empty spaces. They come pretty close to full coverage, I don't think you'd need to fill the black spaces to use them as skirmish boards. I just noticed an error in my diagram, but I'm too lazy to fix it. The modified 4x4 should be 48"x45.5", not 48"x42. I forgot the last row is offset from the first. But that just means you'd have even better coverage for a 48"x48" playing area.

2cnf8n5.jpg

I think these could be easily used for this form of skirmish board, though you'd probably only use a few buildings per map, and would want several of the hedgerows. They would be best for the split hexes as well. For instance, the two part viking village would make a nice centerpiece of a 3x3 map, surrounded by several hedgerow hexes.

Edited to add, as long as the next two stretch goals are reached, there would be more options for 'generic' hexes, rocky field and forest hexes are pretty generic and repeatable as well.

Edited by Suden
  • Like 2

Seventeen bucks until ROCKY FIELD!  ::o:

You could also shuffle the folded flats, and have each player toss a few on the game mat. Then have players set up their forces. THEN unfold for RANDOM TERRAIN SETUP! 

Yeah, I'd like to see that done with regular terrain!

Seventeen bucks!  :bday:

I think you are calculating wrong Sanael. The 14" long axes are not placed end to end, they are offset so it is 14" for one and 7" for the next. Only the 12" should be added directly.

3x3 should be smaller than 42"x42". It would be 42"x35", And if you split one hex down the middle you could make a 36"x35" almost square. There are the little triangles empty along the sides, but they are only 13"x3.5", so I don't think they'd have much negative impact.

A 4x4 pattern would cover 54"x42", but if you split two hexes you could turn it into a 48"x42" board, with three of those little 12"x3.5" triangles missing down each of the 48" sides.

Here's a diagram. The blue are the full sized hexes, the green are the split ones and the black are the empty spaces. They come pretty close to full coverage, I don't think you'd need to fill the black spaces to use them as skirmish boards. I just noticed an error in my diagram, but I'm too lazy to fix it. The modified 4x4 should be 48"x45.5", not 48"x42. I forgot the last row is offset from the first. But that just means you'd have even better coverage for a 48"x48" playing area.

2cnf8n5.jpg

I think these could be easily used for this form of skirmish board, though you'd probably only use a few buildings per map, and would want several of the hedgerows. They would be best for the split hexes as well. For instance, the two part viking village would make a nice centerpiece of a 3x3 map, surrounded by several hedgerow hexes.

Edited to add, as long as the next two stretch goals are reached, there would be more options for 'generic' hexes, rocky field and forest hexes are pretty generic and repeatable as well.

Suden, you are totally correct! That's what I get for doing mental geometry immediately after rolling out of bed o.0

That does work far better than I thought. I will likely make a series of four or six river hexes to supplement these...something needs to go alongside the fishing shack!

• Like 1

Hmmm.... I kinda want to, it'd be useful, but I'm really worried about how much of a PITA it's gonna be to construct. I have no experience with anything like this.

• Like 1

I don't know about the pop-up stuff, but if you search www.drivethroughstuff.com , they have a couple of papercraft terrain pieces for free. If those don't give you problems, I guess you'll be safe with the Stonehaven terrain, too.

example: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/130696/Elven-Ruined-Sanctuary

Edited by Knight of the Dinner Table
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link, is there any paper (books terrain anything) free on that site, I've got a order that has to ship from there

Going to roll will save for this stonehaven project

It's actually my one sadness with these. Because of the offset, a 4x4 "grid" will end up being 4.5 feet in one direction (the offset of the hexes) and 56 inches in the other (because the hexes are 14 inches in the long axis).

A 3x3 will be 42" by 42", so pretty close to perfect for a 4x4' table, but if you want to cover the table exactly, you'll need some funky half-hexes and three-quarter hexes and one-quarter and thirds and so forth. Exactly what you would need is too much math for Monday morning.

If you're making them yourself there's nothing stopping you from making them with squares instead of hexes. They fold in the middle, it looks like the actual base could be any shape we want/need it to be.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... I kinda want to, it'd be useful, but I'm really worried about how much of a PITA it's gonna be to construct. I have no experience with anything like this.

Well, it's much easier than painting frickin' eyes on these teeny tiny man-dollies, that's for sure...  :wow:

SM said they'd have tutorials and instructions for making the models. Also, since you get PDFs, you can practice with the PDF printouts first before cutting out your cardboard printouts.

I mean, shrubbery! C'mon!  :;):

Viking village detail!

b01ac69c15d4065fdc4795c659dd944c_large.j

COLOR!!!

e81b76a426600849b91e71182edc35d4_large.j

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

Update 9: Pics of assembled fish shack, viking village, and town shot, not including the recently unlocked and free forest hex, rough terrain hex, and hedge row hex!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/pop-up-miniature-terrain-kit/posts

$600 or 20 backers to the adventuring gear unlock!

9846ff39d0bf864817c8cea4e507b57e_large.j

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

I...  I think I'm going to have to get in on this one.  The price is just too good, and I've been wanting to get into paper craft terrain.  I used to build very small, intricate replica buildings out of cardstock, so I'm pretty sure I can handle assembly.  Something to do in the evening in front of the TV. 

Anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth it to get the color version versus sepia??

I've just backed it...

$18 for colour & sepia pdfs is a good price.  Especially since theres lots in there. 

The postage to Australia is evil though if I had got into the physical copy...

Now to see if I like paper craft, lol

I...  I think I'm going to have to get in on this one.  The price is just too good, and I've been wanting to get into paper craft terrain.  I used to build very small, intricate replica buildings out of cardstock, so I'm pretty sure I can handle assembly.  Something to do in the evening in front of the TV. 

Anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth it to get the color version versus sepia??

Personally, I prefer the Fat Dragon Games use of color. I think I'm backing this for the unique sepia art of SM as much as the gaming terrain itself. Still, if you have a family of gamers, you could always pledge for the "one of each" set and keep whichever you prefer!

Anyway, if you're new to paper terrain, also check out DriveThruRPG's free paper model samples. They don't fold-up, however.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?keywords=paper+model&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=0&pto=0 

Eight more backers to the Adventurer's Gear Depot!  :bday:

Edited by ced1106