Sign in to follow this  
Aard_Rinn

Dragons Don't Share (Painted Edition!)

I spent a lot less on KS2 than on KS1, mostly because I had less to spend. Especially with the shipping costs this time around, and DDS2 was a hefty shipping cost that I couldn't manage.

So I'll wait for December now that money is better and get it at full retail, but I really wish I could just get the terrain.

Yeah I had to pass on the Kaiju. Pretty sad about that. But adding him in would have cost more this actual cost in shipping and I still haven't done anything with most of KS 1 yet, so thankfully, I'm not regretful.

For those nervous about it. The Bigthulu was actually not to bad to paint. I'd recommend using a big brush for the basecoat stuff though. Aside from it being bigger. It's actually easier because you have so much more canvas space to work with. There's not heaps and heaps and heaps of tiny studs and buckles and weird armour things.

• Like 6

For those intimidated by Khanjira, I think it'll be a pussycat.

Have you ever tried to paint a pussycat? I still have scars... :upside:
  • Like 16

DDS2 looks awesome and I do kind of wish I picked up two..even if I have yet to paint any of my big three from KS1.

I own at least one of all but 14 currently available Bones. Makes my completionist side twitch.

For KS2, I am in at something like $420 total. It was not enough to get one of everything. It would have taken quite a bit more if I remember correctly. I tried to get big items over small ones with the theory that I would be more likely to pick up individual minis in the odd order here and there if they are cheaper.

• Like 4

Ha, I was going to post more about spending habits relating to the kickstarter, but then we might get in trouble for posting off topic. 

On topic - I only got one DDS2 because it's such a display piece. I don't think I'd ever get around to using two of them ever. (Probably won't even use one, but it will look great if I can paint it marginally ok).

*shifty eyes*

If I type it super small the mods wont see it right?

I actually spent far less on this kickstarter just because there was way too many options to buy from. I knew I wasn't going to be able to afford it all so I didn't bother. It does mean I missed out on some cool stuff. But then looking at what I've got to paint already and probably what I'm never going to use.... It's actually taught me a good lesson about other miniature kickstarters. So I've saved a heap of money over the past nine months.

• Like 2

If I type it super small the mods wont see it right?

That size is perfectly legible, so you're probably in trouble.

Watched Anne painting up the DDS2 dragon for photo purposes today.  It was looking nice. 

I was already getting 3 extra dragons with KS2 and had to skipped this one. but idk if I had to do it over again.....

• Like 5

/pouts I had plans for my cinder, but now I can have better plans for this set. I wonder if the bones set will be as big as the master. @[email protected] it had its own seat in the caravan. I have no idea where i could put something that big.

• Like 2

Yeah I had to pass on the Kaiju. Pretty sad about that. But adding him in would have cost more this actual cost in shipping and I still haven't done anything with most of KS 1 yet, so thankfully, I'm not regretful.

For those nervous about it. The Bigthulu was actually not to bad to paint. I'd recommend using a big brush for the basecoat stuff though. Aside from it being bigger. It's actually easier because you have so much more canvas space to work with. There's not heaps and heaps and heaps of tiny studs and buckles and weird armour things.

I got the Kaiju over DDS, because it was one or the other and I have plans to use Kaiju. Of course now I want the DDS terrain (but not the Dragon)...

BTW you should check out the Brisbane Painters over in the off-topic area, we'd love to have you along. :)

• Like 2

/pouts I had plans for my cinder, but now I can have better plans for this set. I wonder if the bones set will be as big as the master. @[email protected] it had its own seat in the caravan. I have no idea where i could put something that big.

As I recall, the final Bones model is usually slightly smaller, but not by very much. (i.e. you could tell if they were next to each other, but probably not otherwise.

Painting my Bones Deathsleet for last year's "There Be Dragons" contest gave me a lot more confidence for tackling large minis, especially in Bones. I originally pledged for one DDS2 to paint up and mount on a big display base and an extra Nathavarr to paint up for gaming, but then I wanted another copy of the terrain for gaming. It was down hill from there.

Having seen the resin prototype at ReaperCon, and now the photos of the painted version, I have no regrets. It's gonna be awesome. ^_^

• Like 6

I had to beg the Mr to let me add it to my Pledge. He complained and pouted and fussed....now he's holding it hostage if I don't let him paint Cinder because apparently he'd be happy either way. >_> 

• Like 8

Easy peasy. Put some paints out on a palette or plate or something. Put the palette on a table you have expressly told the cat not to go near. Presto chango - painted cat. At least it worked that way for me... ;->

• Like 14

Easy peasy. Put some paints out on a palette or plate or something. Put the palette on a table you have expressly told the cat not to go near. Presto chango - painted cat. At least it worked that way for me... ;->

Just get an empty box (cat trap) put it near your airbrush and spray away.

• Like 4

There's not heaps and heaps and heaps of tiny studs and buckles and weird armour things.

Yeah, they're probably saving "C'thulhu in Bondage Gear" for Bones III...  :lol:

• Like 3