So, i recieved an unexpected update for Sedition Wars for some progress on Solo Play Beta rules. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-wars-battle-for-alabaster/posts/872802?at=BAh7CDoMcG9zdF9pZGkDYlENSSIIdWlkBjoGRVRpA8jnMEkiC2V4cGlyeQY7BlRJIhgyMDE0LTA3LTEwIDIxOjA5OjI0BjsGVA%3D%3D--c51041c1dc64b06b9f26fcefb1b5b21ad6dec823&ref=backer_project_update

This was one of the things i was hoping for as i seldom get a chance to play with a group and also like to use solo rules to get familiar with a game. Yet i am "ho hum" about this update. Is anyone excited about this?

How is Sedition Wars doing in the market...my impression is that it is dying. If so, will this help?

Hmmm.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Sedition Wars doing in the market...my impression is that it is dying.

I bought a brand new sealed boxed set last October at one of the UK's largest conventions for £15. They had lots. They left with lots.

Anecdotal, but I'm guessing not too great.

• Like 2

The rules were not written clearly so there is a fair amount of FAQ on the McVey website. I'm not sure that bombed is the right word. I think it wss a victim of kickstarter success. Basically that the deal was so good that almost everyone that would have normally bought the game at retail got it through Kickstarter. So the final retail market was pretty small. The game is playable out of the box but does take some patience because of the poor rules organization. There were some component issues with the boards but I think those were all fixed.

• Like 2

I also feel the minis are nice for gaming pieces, but not great from a painters perspective. Similar amount of flash as bones minis, a little easier to clean off, but more details to complicate the process. I would have been better off buying some of the metal or resin Studio McVey minis.

Still a good value, but not as usefull to me as i had hoped.

• Like 1

The days of people hiding their rules so people don't "steal" them are over. I really feel rules should be beta tested strenuously. Mantic does a good job with this. Give your basic rules away for free, and encourage people to use/play/test. Then, sell your minis and deluxe art/lore filled books to people hooked on your system. Its a shame they dropped the ball on this because I really liked the universe.

• Like 2

The days of people hiding their rules so people don't "steal" them are over. I really feel rules should be beta tested strenuously. Mantic does a good job with this. Give your basic rules away for free, and encourage people to use/play/test. Then, sell your minis and deluxe art/lore filled books to people hooked on your system. Its a shame they dropped the ball on this because I really liked the universe.

A good example of this is Zombicide where you can down load the rulebook from there website and they do not seem to be hurting for getting new sales.

I went overboard on Sedition Wars -- got a copy for myself, got a copy for a board-gaming friend, got the "exclusive" minis, went and got a Portable Warfare bag and some foam trays to store my "army" in ... and I have YET to bother to even assemble the minis.  Just trying to figure out how to assemble the "Lights Out" minis was challenge enough.  :P  Lots of pieces, lots of flash, and it seems that the minis that weren't already SCULPTED at the time of the Kickstarter have a markedly different look than the core minis.

I love the little terrain pack that I got; the pieces are durable, nicely detailed, and paint up well.  I've used some Photoshoppery and printing as a shortcut to make "computer displays" for the terminals, and that seems to work well enough.  Miniature Market has it for sale at nearly as cheap as the Kickstarter price.  But then, their price for the box of a bazillion minis and bases for Sedition Wars isn't much more expensive.

I love the bases.  I wish they'd sell packs of those separately.  If the price was decent enough, I'd buy 'em in bulk and use them for a lot of my sci-fi minis instead of the resin "lower-tech" sci-fi bases I'm currently using.  (That is, I've got some nice "industrial" bases, but I really like the high-tech look and detail of the Sedition Wars bases.)  I have to note that at the price the game has been going for, and how much comparable resin bases would cost, I've found myself seriously considering buying another copy of the game JUST FOR THE BASES.)

I haven't yet figured out the game play, but I must confess that I'm a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to new game systems, and I've never had a knack for strategic thinking anyway.

I'm sad that it didn't pan out so well.  I really like the look of Sedition Wars, and I was interested in seeing what would be done with the "Firebrand" faction in the future.

I thought it was well established that the rules, paper etc., weren't the money makers anyway?

I would have thought in the current Kickstarter heavy climate that getting rules out there to get people interested in backing your product was more beneficial if not near essential.