Conan RPG

lionmane

Hey, is it me, or is The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian missing a few tales? I could have sworn Red Nails, Jewels of Gwalhur, and A Witch Shall Be Born were REH, but they're not in there. I'm probably confusing them with something else.

De Camp may not have been the best at writing Conan pastiches, but he did okay with nonfiction. His biography of H.P. Lovecraft is exhaustive and I'm currently half-way through a book of his on various facets of the Atlantis myth dealing with Plato, Mme. Blavatsky, Major Churchward and various others.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the differences between the Conan stories as Howard wrote them and as DeCamp edited them aren't too huge(if I recall correctly).

Well, one example that springs to mind of a change that seems pointless is the changing of the capitol of Aquilonia from Howard's Tamar to DeCamp's Tarantia. I believe I read somewhere that DeCamp would often change names if he thought they were too close to other names; in this case a city that borders Ophir is named Shamar, so I guess he decided he knew better than Howard what to name Hyborian cities.

As far as the differences between the Conan stories as Howard wrote them and as DeCamp edited them aren't too huge(if I recall correctly). [/quoteI believe I read somewhere that DeCamp would often change names if he thought they were too close to other names; in this case a city that borders Ophir is named Shamar, so I guess he decided he knew better than Howard what to name Hyborian cities.

When taken to task about his and Carter's Conan stories being inferior to Howard's, De Camp once replied something to the effect of that he and Carter weren't crazy like Howard, so their writing coudn't match his intensity.

DeCamp also hated Frazetta's artwork for the Conan books. He thought Conan should have short hair, which he thought more macho. I don't think anyone looking at Frazetta's works have ever thought, "Hmm, looks like a wimp." Plus, Howard's writing desribes Conan as having long hair. Luckily DeCamp didn't have any say on the cover art.

It is very lucky I would say that De Camp did not have a say on the cover art!!

Does anyone know when the RPG is going to be released? I am anxiously waiting for "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian" to arrive in the mail and have been trying to find the release date for the RPG. I was unable to find it on the Mongoose Publishing website.

Decado

I found The Ultimate Triumph as well as Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, both by Wandering Star Press, who's putting out the trilogy of Conan collections, online. Each are hardcover, lavishly illustrated...and a minimum of $50 each. Then the Conan RPG is another $50...Crom and Steel. I need to go raid an ancient temple complex, I think.

I found The Ultimate Triumph as well as Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, both by Wandering Star Press, who's putting out the trilogy of Conan collections, online. Each are hardcover, lavishly illustrated...and a minimum of $50 each. Then the Conan RPG is another $50...Crom and Steel. I need to go raid an ancient temple complex, I think.

The Bran Mak Morn book is going to eventually be put out as a paperback like The Coming Of Conan, but there is a version of the hardback that also comes with a cd with a dramatic reading of Worms of the Earth - I think it is over $100 though. Amazon.com lists the Conan RPG at around $35, but I like to suppport the local shop, so I may fork over the full $50.

I agree - that's why I waited for the paperback of The Coming Of Conan. I think the Bran Mak Morn paperback is due in 2005. I hope they do a Kull one as well, but I do have the old Donald Grant Kull that is the original unedited texts anyway.

More on the subject of the RPG, it would be nice to see an official line of Conan miniatures using characters from Howard's stories.