Conan RPG

lionmane

Ok, I was wrong - the book is shipping now and should be available next week according to this post by Mongoose on their forums. It also contains an overview of the book. Now if I can find anyone who doesn't equate Conan with Arnold and Milius I might try roleplaying again...

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/v...opic.php?t=1039

My bookstore-working wife told me that my copy should be in around Feb. 5th or 6th, possibly sooner. After reading that release from Mongoose, I'm really eager to take a look at this book! It sounds like it will be different enough from other RPGs, and more along the spirit of REH's stories of the Hyborian Age. Some might be turned off on the fact that PCs are human only(no Elves, Dwarves, etc.), but that's no big deal to me(of course, an industrious GM could always work other races in if they really wanted).

Oh, I really liked the part about getting hit points back by drinking a flagon of wine ( slaying is cursed thirsty work!). :B):

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but $100 for a book, even with a dramatic reading of Worms of the Earth (only Bran story I've read thusfar, have it in Chaosium's Nameless Cults) on CD, is just way too much. For $250, I can have the book bound in leather too. I'll wait for paperback.

Yeah, I paid about $50 for my copy of Ultimate Triumph. I think I'll wait for the others to come out in paperback, though. Wandering Star also did a Solomon Kane collection, and was about $160, I think. It came with a music "soundtrack" CD. Again, I'll wait for paperback.

I think you'll enjoy The Coming of Conan- I got my copy about 3-4 weeks ago, and it's great!!! :B):

I've got Coming already. The artwork is magnificent and most of the stories in there I'd not gotten a chance to read yet...The character of Belit fascinates me. I've got a friend who looks just like her (except, you know, she wears more in the way of clothing then Belit) and has the same temperament. Same interest in hitting things with swords, too.

Some might be turned off on the fact that PCs are human only(no Elves, Dwarves, etc.), but that's no big deal to me(of course, an industrious GM could always work other races in if they really wanted). 

Well, the game isn't meant for people who want to play dwarves and elves :).

The only time I was ever able to enjoy a Conan RPG campaign in the past was a small group that played GURPS and everyone had an appreciation for Conan. Once we let some others play that didn't have any knowledge of Conan, it was ruined.

I've got Coming already. The artwork is magnificent and most of the stories in there I'd not gotten a chance to read yet...The character of Belit fascinates me. I've got a friend who looks just like her (except, you know, she wears more in the way of clothing then Belit) and has the same temperament. Same interest in hitting things with swords, too.

Queen of the Black Coast is my favorite Conan story, and Belit is a favorite character too. Interestingly, if you pay close attention, you will realize that she is never described as wielding a weapon at all. Even when she returns from beyond death to protect Conan, she is described as simply thrusting toward the beast (I love the illustration in the book for that, but the sword is never mentioned).

So along the lines of miniatures for Conan, who would you like to see sculpt them? I would love to see Mark Copplestone, Kev White, Bobby Jackson, or David Soderquist do them. Marek on CMON is also quite good at barbarians and has done one barbarian miniature for Assassin that he based on an Estaban Maroto drawing that is quite good.

So along the lines of miniatures for Conan, who would you like to see sculpt them? I would love to see Mark Copplestone, Kev White, Bobby Jackson, or David Soderquist do them. Marek on CMON is also quite good at barbarians and has done one barbarian miniature for Assassin that he based on an Estaban Maroto drawing that is quite good.

Good picks. I like Sandra Garrity's barbarians she's done for DHL- Angus Stormhand (#02247),Dantrag(#02233), and Marda(#02164) are good examples of her work. The Angus mini is one of the first minis I ever bought, and it's still one of my favorite sculpts. I love the broken horn on his crown, and the fact that he's got a sword and an axe.

Oh, and I painted Dantrag with blond hair so he would look less like Ahnold. ^_^

I've got a friend who looks just like her (except, you know, she wears more in the way of clothing then Belit) and has the same temperament. Same interest in hitting things with swords, too.

Lucky you! :B):

Except maybe you wanna be careful about the sword part, though. :B):

No, no, there may be something of a miscommunication here. There's nothing more than friendship between Des and myself, for three reasons:

1.) She's 12 years my senior.

2.) She's engaged to her boyfriend of eight years.

3.) She leaves some 1200-odd miles from me, in Florida. I met her online some four years ago.

She's a riotoriously fun friend, and we intend to cross swords someday...Trying to scrape a half-inch of sheet ice from the driveway, I realized that there is no way I can spend the rest of my life here in Buffalo. Too cold (I don't retain heat well) and no job opportunities. Florida's nice and hot and humid, a really nice college (University of South Florida) which has an excellent biology department which is what I'm looking for...and not far off are such diversions as Sea World and Busch Gardens and...ehe...Mote Marine Laboratories, where Molly, a preserved 37-foot female giant squid, is on display.

Chello!

Just got my copy of the RPG in the mail today and the visual layout is stunning. alot of work went into this game.

Now as far as mechanics and writing style go, give me a couple of days to pursue this one. First impressions are that it's gonna be GOOD!!!

Tony

I should be getting my copy this Tuesday thru my FLGS. Turns out my ordered copy thru B&N is backordered(?), and now it's mail order only, not being shipped to stores. So I said @#*! it, and am getting a copy at said FLGS/comic store.

But, my friend got his copy from Amazon the other day, and loaned it to me! :B):

And since I've been sick all weekend(my first 3-day weekend in forever,too), I've had time to look thru it. And I gotta say it's pretty good! the artwork, while not at Frazetta-like heights, is still pretty good for the most part. The game really tries to give the feel of Howard's works, and I think it succeeds. The true test will be in the playing, though. I've got two players and one other likely candidate to be in the game that I will hopefully run(time permitting). I may let them run two characters each. The guy who has the book will probably play a Noble, with his second character being either a Gunderman Pikeman or a Thief. The other players still have to look over the book and pick. Then comes the rolling of stats, etc.......

I've already got the first adventure laid out in my head, with details to be worked out on paper later.

So, has anyone had a game yet? Or at least characters rolled up? I'm eager to see what everyone else has going on with this.