Conan RPG

lionmane

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliment Orsino!

I haven't gotten ahold of any GURPS stuff yet, so I can't really comment on them .

As far as sources, so far I've just used my own ideas , inspired by REH's work. I recently re-read "Shadows in Zamboula" , and I thought the cannibals would be a nice background threat. I thought the trip to the ruined temple would be a classic RPG task , with lots 'o' fighting, ala REH. Multiple factions after the same object is also something inspired by REH ( "Jewels of Gwalhur", for example). The game book has lots of ideas for adventures, too. I've got a piece of paper with game ideas jotted down as I come up with them . I've thought that a future adventure may have the heroes up in Nordheim, fighting alongside Aesir tribesmen against savage, bearskin -wearing , flesh -eating foes( yeah, I liked 13th Warrior). ^_^

The next session will have the heroes going into the Turanian Empire to rescue the kidnapped gal from a nobleman's palace. There will most likely be encounters with the Kozaks along the way, and possibly a visit from sinister Stygian priests who are P.O.ed at the players for snagging the scrolls before them.

That bit with the Pict killing the wizard after the other guy revived him cracked me up. :lol: My friends are always doing stuff like that during game sessions to each other, but they always stay in character doing so. ^_^

Do you have the book for the Conan game yet?

Do you have the book for the Conan game yet?

I'm not likely to spend fifty bucks on this release. I'll probably seek out an old GURPS Conan on E-bay to go with all those modules I just ordered from SJG's Warehouse23. I've read almost none of the Howard Conan, but I really love the first movie, awful as it is (it's my wife's all-time favorite). I picked up a few issues of the comic book twenty-some years ago, but the pirate stuff with Belit appealed to me less than the rest.

Someone nice tried to start up a Conan play-by-post on these forums, using GURPS even, but I think I'm not bloodthirsty enough as a player for the scenario (Belit-era piracy). I was this close to signing up, but didn't want to disappoint anyone looking for a hack-fest.

I have read a few reviews of the Conan RPG on the net and there is mention of the book having poor editing. Have you come across that problem lionmane? Also have you used any miniatures and if so which ones?

Decado

I have read a few reviews of the Conan RPG on the net and there is mention of the book having poor editing. Have you come across that problem

I haven't read my copy too closely, but I haven't noticed any major editing errors yet (not as if any of the WotC books are free from errors ::P: ). Maybe it was edited by a barbarian, that would be appropriate. Or they could be preparing for Conan 1.5.

As for price on the book, I bought my at a hobby store in NJ for $35 (new) so it possible to find a better deal than list price.

There are lots of mistakes-spelling errors, a few rule contradictions, and other things, but none of it is insurmountable, in my opinion. The few errors in various rules can be settled by any GM worth his salt. All in all, so far I really like the book and the game. Over on the game publisher's boards there's lots of folks trying to convert this or that to D&D stats or whatever. If you wanna play D&D, then play it! This is NOT D&D. It's the Hyborian Age.....if ya want masterwork weapons and elves and threat ratings, ya got the wrong game. :B):

Decado, so far we haven't used any minis during gameplay. If I did, I think any of Sandra Garrity's barbarians from Reaper would be good, as would many of her Sisters of the Blade minis. Heresy's minis would also work fine too, I think.

Thanks for the update lionmane. From what I have read from Mongoose they are going to work on a 2nd printing to correct the editing. There was even mention of somehow reimbursing those that bought the 1st printing and wanted the 2nd. I have still yet to even SEE the game at my FLGS. :angry:

Decado

Thanks for the update lionmane. From what I have read from Mongoose they are going to work on a 2nd printing to correct the editing. There was even mention of somehow reimbursing those that bought the 1st printing and wanted the 2nd. I have still yet to even SEE the game at my FLGS. :angry:

Decado

Yeah, I think the deal is you cut out a certain part of a page out of the book, mail it to 'em, and you get something like a 60% discount on the 2nd printing. The other option is getting a bunch of supplemental stuff for free. I'm just gonna keep my 1st edition, warts and all. Like I said earlier, the problems aren't insurmountable....just a bit annoying here and there. ^_^ If the game were unplayable, that would be a different thing.

Another thing I found interesting on the Mongoose boards was the outcry for supplemental material. The book basically draws from REH's writings and descriptions of the Hyborian Age, and so where REH was vague about some aspects( the Border Kingdom comes to mind), so is the book. Some folks want all the blanks filled in....but I think it's cool that the main book doesn't do so for two reasons: 1) Most Conan pastiche material sucked, IMHO, so I'm glad it isn't in the book, and 2) it gives the GM a bit of a free hand to flesh out these unknown areas for themselves, promoting some creativity , which is a good thing, I think. It even says something along those lines in the book itself. I think it's cool that you could play the Conan RPG with different GMs and have these blank spots be very different from one game to another. ^_^

Decado, you may have to ask your FLGS to order it if you want it. It can also be ordered from B&N, and Amazon, I believe. Have you checked out the free downloads on the Mongoose site? They will give you an idea on the flavor of the book.

I ordered my copy. Last week, though, I saw a couple of copies at the FLGS down my street.

If and when you get a copy, I'd like to hear your feedback on it. I really like it, but I'd like to hear opinions from other Conan fans.

I am planning a trip to my FLGS this week and will see if they have it. If not I may order it from Amazon. I am in total agreement with you about keeping the book close to REH work as possible. I much prefer to have those blank areas free for my development and not be contradicted by a supplement. That is one of the reasons I enjoy DMing the World of Greyhawk setting. As far as the Mongoose site goes I think the only thing I have downloaded is the character sheet. I will have to see what else they have.

Decado

Hey lionmane, I was wondering how your Conan campaign was going? I was in Electronics Botique this week and saw some very sweet Conan figures made by McFarlane toys and it got me thinking about the Conan RPG again. I think this week I am going to see if my FLGS has the updated edition. If so it will be mine! I checked the Mongoose site and there is a book due out (soon I hope) revolving around the Pictish Wilderness. I always liked the Conan stories (the comics being most memorable) set in and around the Pictish Wilderness. I am already cooking up some campaign ideas.

Decado

I just got back from my FLGS and picked a 1st. edition copy. I was gonna wait for the updated version but the guy at the store gave me a deal on the book so I went with it. I can't wait to dive in and take a closer look! I already have a campaign beginning in mind.

Decado