A miniature crisis I should be happy to have

So with just having finished a miniature last night, I'm at that familiar crux again:  what to paint?   Has it ever happened to anybody that you just literally have so much stuff, that you just don't know what to do next?  

Amongst the bazillions of miniatures I've got sitting around, I'm thinking about some lizard men, some dragon men, a pair of lions, amongst others.  Being I really don't use them in games, I really don't have "reasons" to paint any figures in particular, it's just about what I feel like next, but I think I've got painter's block.

Poor me....

• Like 9
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reach in and grab 8 minis that you like.   Put them on the table in a line and number them 1-8.   Roll a d8.   Paint the one that you were secretly hoping would come up on the roll.

Except that those 20 miniatures get heavier with time. First they weigh 20 oz., then 20 lbs., then 20 st., then 20 cwt. If you reach 20 tons (long, short, or metric), you might have gone a step too fa

So with just having finished a miniature last night, I'm at that familiar crux again:  what to paint?   Has it ever happened to anybody that you just literally have so much stuff, that you just don't

I run into painter's block a lot because what I enjoy most about miniatures is converting them and sculpting new detail on them. When I get to the actual painting part I often find that it feels like I already did the fun part.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 6

I'm trying to work throug it now while I'm watching Mexico versus Cameroon. I think the lizard men are starting to win...

I'd love to paint eight at the same time, but I'd never get them finished. I think four is my max, and that still takes forever.

• Like 5

I run into painter's block a lot because what I enjoy most about miniatures is converting them and sculpting new detail on them. When I get to the actual painting part I often find that it feels like I already did the fun part.

You need to tag team with someone who loves painting but hates converting. ::D:
  • Like 7

I tend to switch back and forth between choosing things to paint to meet the following goals:

- Painting miniatures for my players' characters in the current or upcoming game

- Painting monsters I will use as DM in an upcoming game (or sometimes distant future game)

- Painting terrain and scenery that I will use in an upcoming game, or that I'm likely to use in many games

- Painting common monsters, like undead and goblins, that I'm likely to use in many games

- Painting a really cool miniature that I really just feel like painting for the pleasure of it

Edited by zoroaster100
  • Like 4

I am finding that currently I like to paint two at a time. This gives me a chance to paint while the other is drying, or even focus on one for a while if I am not really feeling it for the other. More than that at a time tends to leave me feeling like it is too much to handle (unless it is a small cohesive unit or something).

• Like 6

I've got a few figures, I think literally two, that have the skin painted and that was it, and I've got Yephima still waiting for a bit more love, but other than that, nothing else really sitting around waiting to be painted. I usually have a few going at the same time, either from the same blister pack or at least a similar theme.

The lizard men, some old Julie Guthrie figures, are catching my eye, and I'd paint them all at the same time, but then the new problem arises: what color? Lizard men ciuld be green but they could really be any color.

Oh, the weight of all these decisions push heavily upon my black and rotten soul....

• Like 4