I'm a grey primer fan as well. For most of the same reasons but I water down my primer a little. (Brush on primer) sometimes when slopping on primer, I lose sight of details. So I typically add a drop of water per two drops of white or black primer with two drops of its opposite color. White gets black paint and black gets white paint, so I end up with a thin grey primer. It goes on thin but still covers everything fine. I sometimes do this to bones too because there are lots of tiny details and it makes it easier to see mold lines or lumpy cast areas that may need love.

• Like 7
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since your figures are already primed black, partially spray them grey primer (or acrylic spray paint), then lesser white, for a shadow effect, similar to zenithal airbrushing:     If you want fu

I am actually doing the whole "black with progressive lighter shades from zenital position" with the airbrush now, still experimenting (here halfway through):     I really like how it defines sha

The only consensus we have here is that there's no consensus about the "one true way" to do anything. 

I started out with grey, but have migrated to using whatever color I think will work best for the application. If the model is primarily caucasian flesh or light colors, then white; if the model is primarily metal or fur, then black.

I recently started using Army Painter colored primers for Warhammer / WH40k stuff; so much faster to paint Space Marines when you start by priming the plastic in the appropriate color before you even clip it from the sprues. You do have to scrape some off to get good glue bonds, but not much.

I do use black for all my Lord of the Rings models, though. I find it changes the chroma of the colors to mimic the look of the Peter Jackson movies.

• Like 3

Matter of individual taste. I've tried black, white, and grey for primers.

Grey works for me with machines, tanks, and suchlike.

White is best when I want my colors to pop afterwards.

Black with a white drybrush to bring out details works well for realistic minis, and things I want the colors to mute somewhat upon.

• Like 4

Since your figures are already primed black, partially spray them grey primer (or acrylic spray paint), then lesser white, for a shadow effect, similar to zenithal airbrushing:

pic2043987_md.jpg

If you want further detail, wash with an "organic" black. I use Secret Weapon wash Soft Body Black, which is also useful for blacklining:

pic2043988_md.jpg

You can also drybrush or overbrush grey, followed by white, if you think it will help:

pic2033706_md.jpg

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 9

Holy carp, ced is posting pics! :p About time, old man!

I usually prime white, but I often find myself wishing I had primed black after all the lining and filling deep pockets with shadow. So it's mostly situational for me, though currently I'd say I'm priming black with a shot of zenithal white primer. Ideally I'd use an airbrush to get smoother and more usable coverage, as you can see in ced's pics the spray primer is a little spattery.

Actually, my ideal would be to use mixed brush-on primer the way DKS does, he pre-paints the whole mini to lay out the values with a greyscale consisting of mixed white and black brush-on primers.

• Like 6

@Willen You speak/type English better than some native speakers I know.

I prefer to prime with grey, though I occasionally just slap on some brown/blue/grey liner and call it go time. 

• Like 4