Sign in to follow this  
SGHawkins09

14321: Bowsister

Really fantastic color and brush control gong on with this mini !

You really got each color to stand on its own, and contribute to the "whole Mini" effect.

You managed to get that "this whole miniature is done, and balanced" feeling.

Great going !

• Like 1

She is LOVELY; there is a porcelain quality to the skin tones that I find particularly attractive. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 2

CHEESE-n-CRACKERS! What a great use of browns, Blues, and COPPER! Very well done. Not going to sugar coats this, I'm totally going to jack that color design. I'm thoroughly impressed at how clean this looks!

• Like 1

Hey it's the Bowsister! Great job and I feel your pain with all of the little details! I had fits for days trying to figure out all of the parts of this piece as I painted her up for a friend. That was my first (and only so far!) attempt at African skin. At any rate, your sister looks awesome and you've done some really clean work here! You can check mine out here, and there are 2 wips for her: one the painting process (i.e.: the agony of painting tiny pieces) and one on the base. This was a challenging piece as I found lot of details weren't greatly defined on mine, and there was a lot of challenge (for me at least) on trying to blend everything together. Kudos on a great job! Can't wait to see what else you do!  ^_^

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 1

Awww shucks! She actually gave me fits as she didn't come as naturally as my exchange mini before her. Still I'm glad mine was useful! Your sister looks awesome! In fact, I didn't even notice the jewel in the belt buckle on mine, probably from the excessive bling. Lol!

• Like 1

Looks good but in some places the paint looks a bit thick. Particularly on the face you probably could have used a smaller brush for facial details.

• Like 1

Looks good but in some places the paint looks a bit thick. Particularly on the face you probably could have used a smaller brush for facial details.

Do you mean the brown liner? Some areas are a bit thick but once I started lining and realized how much there was to line, I just wanted to get done. The liner around the face is the one thing that I wish I had gone back and glazed over to lessen the harshness of the color. I should have left it the way I had it before which was the skin tone shadow color. With a darker hair color or skin tone, the brown liner would have been fine but she is so fair, it is very obvious in the pictures.

I don't find the brown liner to be too harsh. I think it helps when you have two tones that are light in color like that, otherwise they tend to wash one another out. It's been quite a while since I've done fair skin.... That was way back with Phoebe the Bladesister! This means, of course, that I should probably do a fair skinned person after the "Fair Spanish Lady..."

• Like 2

You did a wonderful job on her SG, if I was going to give you any critiques it's the shading/highlighting bit that we always give each other around here, but I really love the color palette you did and she's a very clean paint job all around. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Very nice, neat job. Brown is really a shade of orange, so adding the blue was a good call. Complimentary color and all.

I guess if I had to suggest anything, it would be to make the bow a lighter or darker shade than the rest of the brown to differentiate the leather and the wood, but it looks great as is.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I actually tried to do a faux woodgrain on the bow but failed. You can kind of see it in person but it does not show up in the photos.