So who is excited about ReaperCon 2015?

Bonwirn

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with getting time off approved was that, if you get it approved, get it approved in writing.  Then simply refuse to hear anything that indicates a change in your approved time off.  So, when you boss says, "I have you working next Friday and Saturday", you simply reply, "I have time off approved for then, by you (or some other authority), so i won't be in on those days."

That will be followed by multiple instances of appeals for the good of the office, proclamations that Suzy needs the time off more, denials that your approval was official, threats of firing, emails on the emergency that requires you (but not others) to be present, announcments that the time off policy has changed -- and you just smile and say nothing.  Because you already said it once.

I learned this approach after watching other people use it.  I discovered that those who simply took their approved time off without making even a tiny deal of it, no matter how much they were pressured, never got in trouble. They just never acknowledged the pressure.  And, in general, got left alone.  It was those who got engaged in justifying their already approved time off that got into friction with their bosses and others.

But I didn't work where some of you do.

• Like 4

Just booked my badge.  Looking forward to meeting everybody there.  

I talked to one of my friends who did metals as his major in college and he a bunch of pure pewter for me to bring in for the metal trade.  So i will definitely be making my way to reaper HQ at some point during the con.

• Like 5

Was worries me the most is I put these 2 requests in together. I always put my Rcon request in Jan sometime.

Just irks me right now. It really shows just how much a company really cares about it's employees anymore. Espically this one....

Really was looking forward to the 4 days off too. I'm gonna put my request in each month until the time just to bug em. Original date & which request number this is. Just to prove a point.

• Like 2

Was worries me the most is I put these 2 requests in together. I always put my Rcon request in Jan sometime.

Just irks me right now. It really shows just how much a company really cares about it's employees anymore. Espically this one....

Really was looking forward to the 4 days off too. I'm gonna put my request in each month until the time just to bug em. Original date & which request number this is. Just to prove a point.

Why not every week? >:)

Sorry to hear that though. Makes me appreciate having a boss who's willing to go to great lengths to give people their time off. Hell, almost the entire management team got the day off for my wedding, and that was the night of a rugby match and the last day of uni exams.

• Like 3

Well I think the main prob is the assistant manager is writing the schedules for us now. It was the big boss before (no screw ups when he wrote it).

Still how much more plain can I make I want this day & this day along with my usual days off this week in February, typed & printed off!

I might have to break out the crayons next! ::P:

• Like 2

I talked to one of my friends who did metals as his major in college and he a bunch of pure pewter for me to bring in for the metal trade.  So i will definitely be making my way to reaper HQ at some point during the con.

Just to clarify, there really is no such thing as "pure pewter"; pewter is a mix of tin and several various other metals. Since that mix (metals and percentages) can vary wildly based on who made it, Reaper may or may not accept the metal from your friend in trade. You will probably need to see someone higher up the food chain than whomever is working the melt trade in station to get your metal approved (usually, that means Dave or Ed).

~v

That will be followed by multiple instances of appeals for the good of the office, proclamations that Suzy needs the time off more, denials that your approval was official, threats of firing, emails on the emergency that requires you (but not others) to be present, announcments that the time off policy has changed ...

This thread makes me love my job even more. Sorry this sucks so much for some of you. What kind of company does this to people?
  • Like 2

That will be followed by multiple instances of appeals for the good of the office, proclamations that Suzy needs the time off more, denials that your approval was official, threats of firing, emails on the emergency that requires you (but not others) to be present, announcments that the time off policy has changed ...

This thread makes me love my job even more. Sorry this sucks so much for some of you. What kind of company does this to people?

Several companies I worked for routinely did this.  It was not a company policy -- in fact, if may have been contrary to company pollicy. 

It is usually a manger who cannot manage people, so resorts to a spectrum ranging from being a  bully to being a lazy manager who initially agrees to anything (so they won't have to actually look ahead and figure out how to handle someone being off) and then realizing that his/her agreement has created a problem.

In particular I see it happen with good workers that managment relies on.  Places with many or several employees like call centers or customer service desks or maintenance (electrical, plumbing, communications) that have a mix of good and poor workers. So, if the good worker is going to take time off at a time when management suddenly needs his/her presence, then pressure is applied for them to cancel their time off.  Poor workers seldom have the pressure because management understands that they can't handle crises or periods of intense work.

Of course there are times when nobody gets off.  Like accountants at close of year or shipping people during the holidays or engineers right before launching a satellite.  Or unloading several containers full of product.

Smart, good workers manage to communicate that their good work is contingent upon managment honoring their committments.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1

What kind of company does this to people?

In particular I see it happen with good workers that managment relies on.

Yeah, I get why they might do it. For the most part, the worst of the worst (both managers and employees) don't make it very long where I work. Between getting my time off without a fuss, having The Postal Service play a company party with a month of starting here, and another party with an artificial snow hill so we could go tubing in April, I'm feeling pretty lucky. But I know that we're a bit out of the ordinary; it's the best place I've ever worked.

Edited to add: To get back on topic--and I'm still more excited about ReaperCon than going to work.

Edited by mototom
  • Like 1

I don't remember much about my retail days and how it worked when I needed to get days off but since starting my career in the web industry I usually go to the boss and say "just wanted to let you know that I will not be here on days X to Y."  More of a call out that I am going to be gone and not a request on if I could go.  Recently I got declined for one day I tried to take off because I forgot it was an important day for something one of our big clients was doing online and I needed to be there to monitor things.

I took this past friday off because I had a dental appointment and thought I may be taking a Xanax before it.  Plans changed and I did not do the meds so after the appointment I went to the office.  The boss asks me why I am there and tried to get me to go home.  I figured I had stuff to do and could just use that time off day that was taken at another time.

I used to go on convention or contest road trips with a guy who was a low-level manager at a very large bank's call center  One of his jobs was to be the primary coordinator between the call center and the IT section - if there was an issue he would be the go-to guy to work out the issues.  But he had, in theory, at least two back-ups.

He would schedule time off and we'd head off to a convention somewhere -- very early on a Friday morning.  Every single time we were on the road, he'd get a call telling him he needed to come in and work an issue with the IT folks.  He would tell them he was 200+ miles away and they needed to call his back-up.  About 10 minutes later, he'd get a call from the next highest manager up the chain, asking him why he had refused to come in and ordering to be there within an hour.  He'd explain that he was on approved time-off, he'd told the earlier caller to contact his back-up, and that he was now 220+ miles away.  He would then get a call from his direct boss, asking why he had not been cooperative with the other managers and asking what he was going to do about the situation.  He would then spend the next two hours trying to work the issue on the phone.  He said that everytime he returned he received counseling on his attitude.  When he would ask why his back-up didn't handle the issue he got answers like: 

(1)  His back-up had called in sick that day or just hadn't shown up.

(2)  Some other manager had given his back-up the day off.

(3)   And, per the above, honest to God, that his back-up had informed the manager calling him that my buddy had agreed that he would be available to handle problems if the backup was unable or unavailable. So, the back-up --  with no approved time off and who was actually in town  -- got a manger to accept that my buddy, with scheduled time-off and located hundreds of miles away, was available for IT issues.

or

(4)  There was no record of his approval for time off.  When he showed them the vacation schedule, with his vacation days on it, he was told that he should have coordihnated his vaction with all of the call center managers before actually leaving.

After one of these episodes, when my buddy was called in for counseling, he left the counseling session with an additional responsibility.  In addition to being the primary IT coordinator for his call center, he was also the coordinator for IT issues with another of the bank's call centers and its IT section -- in Canada.  My buddy no longer works there (he took a 50% pay cut to move to another job) and the call center has since been closed.  All the senior managers were given jobs elsewhere and everyone else was laid off.

My friend tells me every time we get together, and especially when we go on road trips, how happy he is knowing he won't get called to come in off vacation.

So, there are jobs like that.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1