So who is excited about ReaperCon 2015?

Bonwirn

Bubble wrap is good and if you have a small box with sturdy walls to protect it that's good too.

I once carried a stained glass panel in my luggage bungeed between two thick, stiff sheets of cardboard. No fun, but it worked.

I've got a box that I painted to look like starry night with the tardis that keeps my minis. It fits all my contest entries (Except dioramas) perfectly with plenty of room for the Mr's and spare bits if needed. 

I'm wondering if I should order an extra set of Angel of Darkness wings just in case.....

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54675-missmelons-farming-for-xp/page-7?hl=%2Bstarry+%2Bnight#entry880916

Double-boxing is usually a good option for minis and other things with similar breakage patterns. Mini wrapped in bubble wrap inside box inside bubble wrap inside box. I don't know if that works for your particular box or not.

Money-back guarantee not available for stained glass...

• Like 4

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the most terrible dream that we got to reaper con, and I opened my storage box of minis to enter into the contest and my angels wings were shattered o_o like she'd been dropped and stomped on.

I had a version of this happen to me my first RC.  On the way down a lady pulled out in front of us and I had to slam the brakes not to hit her.  Didn't think much of it until I was unpacking my minis for the contest.  My Roderick and Glitter had come loose and slammed into the front of the case.  The lance had bent and the paint on it had flecked off.  It was of course the freehand roses that I had labored over.  I never did fix it to this day.

• Like 3

Bubble wrap is good and if you have a small box with sturdy walls to protect it that's good too.

I once carried a stained glass panel in my luggage bungeed between two thick, stiff sheets of cardboard. No fun, but it worked.

I've got a box that I painted to look like starry night with the tardis that keeps my minis. It fits all my contest entries (Except dioramas) perfectly with plenty of room for the Mr's and spare bits if needed. 

I'm wondering if I should order an extra set of Angel of Darkness wings just in case.....

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54675-missmelons-farming-for-xp/page-7?hl=%2Bstarry+%2Bnight#entry880916

Double-boxing is usually a good option for minis and other things with similar breakage patterns. Mini wrapped in bubble wrap inside box inside bubble wrap inside box. I don't know if that works for your particular box or not.

Money-back guarantee not available for stained glass...

For each small model or mini, I take one of those small containers -- like a butter container or a instant coffee container and I put in a layer of cotton balls. Then I place the model or mini and bulid a barrier of cotton balls between it and the walls of the container.  Then I cover the contents with a "roof" of cotton balls.  The whole thing is not packed loose, but relatively tight.  Then I put the lid on the container and I tape it shut with the ever handy duct tape. 

Cotton balls are cheap.

I then put that container with all my other containers in a larger box.  Each of the individual containers it wrapped in cloth or bubble wrap.

When I remove the model or mini, I slice the duct tape open, remove the lid,  and then use tweezers to remove the cotton balls.  After removing the mini, I have to clean it up -- as there are cotton fibers all over it -- again using tweezers.

When I come home, I unpack the same as at the contest or convention.

The only time it failed me was when I mailed a diorama.  I simply hadn't pinned and epoxied every mini and accesory down sufficiently.

• Like 2

No kidding.

On a related note, how do metal minis show up on an airport xray machine? Is the TSA gonna want to open and inspect them? Even worse, are they gonna let me open them up, are is one of their resident gorillas going to do it?

/curious on the same thing. My metal collection has gotten sizely that it won't fit in my carry on purse, neither will my tardis box. 

No kidding.

On a related note, how do metal minis show up on an airport xray machine? Is the TSA gonna want to open and inspect them? Even worse, are they gonna let me open them up, are is one of their resident gorillas going to do it?

Oh they'll show. Just tell them tin soldiers or a army men. Sometimes you might even get a fellow gamer for a tsa.

Only time I've had prob with the tsa was I forgot to take my Boneyard goodies out of my carry on. I had to explain those.

• Like 2

No kidding.

Oh they'll show. Just tell them tin soldiers or a army men. Sometimes you might even get a fellow gamer for a tsa.

Only time I've had prob with the tsa was I forgot to take my Boneyard goodies out of my carry on. I had to explain those.

Heh. Last year on the way to Reapercon, I was able to see the screen on the xray when my army bag went through. It looked totally awesome! Then I got to have a conversation with the TSA guy about wargaming.Pretty good experience, that time through.

• Like 2

No kidding.

I have yet to be stopped by TSA for a search because of my minis. I do know that other people have though. Sometimes its more out of curiosity than anything else. They will insist on opening it themselves just explain that they are fragile and that you would like to re-box them. This is why some of the cases, like the ones from tablewar or the custom wood boxes, are handy because they are already designed to show off our creations. Your are more likely to have a checked bag searched which is why its much better to have your entries in a carry on than in a checked bag. The ones that check bags are not always gentle nor are they interested in re-packing them to your exacting standards.

• Like 4

My anxiety dreams tend to involve my being witness to an airplane crash.

Pingo....you realize a lot of us are flying. O_O yes?

New Years Day 2014 my flight to BOS from DFW crash landed.

It was an inconvenience.

Liked because you are still here to crack heads. The forums would be a mess without LS to keep us in line. Very thankful that it was only an inconvenience.

• Like 3

No kidding.

I have yet to be stopped by TSA for a search because of my minis. I do know that other people have though. Sometimes its more out of curiosity than anything else. They will insist on opening it themselves just explain that they are fragile and that you would like to re-box them. This is why some of the cases, like the ones from tablewar or the custom wood boxes, are handy because they are already designed to show off our creations. Your are more likely to have a checked bag searched which is why its much better to have your entries in a carry on than in a checked bag. The ones that check bags are not always gentle nor are they interested in re-packing them to your exacting standards.

This is one of the reasons I am willing to drive 15 hours to get there.  I can bring all my stuff and if anything gets broken or messed up, it is my fault.

• Like 2