So who is excited about ReaperCon 2015?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ask and you shall receive, O' One of the Singular Footwear      

Oh. Never put this shot of five ounces of platypi. Had talespinner sign it. Hehehe   Shot was prior to it being signed.

Waiting on my minis to come back from mold making so I can start my contest entries...   Wait, what?

Posted Images

Green stuff is supposed to be kept in the freezer...?

GS is basically a chemical reaction.  When you remove energy from the reaction you slow it down.  Therefore....\

If not in use, it'll last longer by being kept in freezer. I think some people have had the same tubes for 5+ years around here.

It's also why some people separate the two components to keep them from curing together permanently, or so I'm told.

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 3
  • Artists

Like most chemical products in our hobby, I think it goes off after a few years even if not in contact. Not unusably off, but best suited for bulking out off. Gene showed me a test once, but I don't remember the key point. What I remember is when you stick a tool into the yellow and pull it out, if it acts one way it's still fresh, if it acts another way it isn't.

• Like 4

I will be bringing a bit of GS and BS. I'll probably also bring a bit of sculpey; both baked and non for people to play with. 

I know what you meant, but I can't help but imagine that someone out there doesn't, and is now thoroughly repulsed. :upside:

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 2

Yes, you should freeze your Green Stuff, only keeping a small amount thawed that you are using.  I use mini play dough containers for my working GS.  For my long term storage, I take all the GS out of the tubes, put the yellow part in half of the tubes and the blue in the other half (I bought a case).  Then the Blue goes in one Zip Lock freezer bag and the Yellow in another (that way there can't be gas exchange between the two either) and put both bags in the deep freezer.

Gene says that they will stay fresh indefinitely like this, and after a year and a half, mine is still as good as the day I got it.

I do the same with Apoxie Sculpt, though that comes in separate, sealed plastic jars so I don't bother with the bags.

• Like 4

One more Gene VH trick, if you are in the middle of sculpting with mixed GS or Apoxie and get a phone call or other disruption, pop the sculpt in the freezer. The chemical reaction will almost halt and you can take it out when finished and keep sculpting without losing much working time before the cure. I'm not sure how long you can leave it in the freezer and expect it to stay soft as even frozen the chemical reaction will still proceed, just very slowly, but an hour or so shouldn't hurt (I've never done this more than 30 minutes to date).

I will be bringing a bit of GS and BS. I'll probably also bring a bit of sculpey; both baked and non for people to play with. 

It really doesn't surprise me that you'll be bringing the BS.  ::P:

• Like 8

It really doesn't surprise me that you'll be bringing the BS.  ::P:

Ha ha ha. You're almost as funny as Frank. Just for those bad jokes I'm sitting next to Corporea at the banquet.

• Like 6

It really doesn't surprise me that you'll be bringing the BS. ::P:

Ha ha ha. You're almost as funny as Frank. Just for those bad jokes I'm sitting next to Corporea at the banquet.

Lol I'd love to see the fight that took place that allowed you to beat everyone else that wants to sit next to her at the banquet.

• Like 6

It really doesn't surprise me that you'll be bringing the BS. ::P:

Lol I'd love to see the fight that took place that allowed you to beat everyone else that wants to sit next to her at the banquet.

He's sneaky and has a streamlined head.  While everyone else is fighting, he'll just slide into the chair next to her.

• Like 4

I have a ribbon that I am slowly using up, but I bought a larger "tube" style batch and tossed in the freezer for future use. It's much cheaper for the same amount of stuff, and the professional putty-pushers tell me it'll keep. :;):

I did not even think of this, but can it go in my checked baggage ok?

I have never had a problem with a ribbon stuck into my tool kit in the past.

• Like 3