Since some members of the gaming group I am a part of expressed interest in getting together to paint, I have decided to start a painting group in my area (East LA, Orange County, and Inland Empire.) Right now, I am just in planning stages and putting feelers out to see who might be interested.

So is there anyone here that lives in the area that might be interested in getting together?

Also, for those that are already part of a paint group, what do you find works or doesn't work?

• Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the paint group that I have attended, these are the following lessons I have learned:

- A well lit area. We ended up painting in a dimly lit room and had no access to spare lamps.

- Snacks/drinks. Set this to the side somewhere, some people were hungry and ended up leaving early, dwindling down the number of painters from approximately 10 people to 4 people.

- Access to supplies: Brush-on primer, corks or tiny canisters for the miniatures, superglue or poster tack, extra serviceable brushes, paints.

- A sign if you are meeting people for the first time.

• Like 2

The CMPA has been meeting on 2nd Saturdays for years now.

My basic advice is to pick a time tbat works best for you as the organizer. Otherwise you will dither around forever trying to determine a time that works for everyone and that won't happen.

Our slot is set for about six hours. I have never provided snacks or drinks although we typically break for lunch. People will figure it out and adapt.

The only things I provide are; an extension cord a power strip and six lamps. You should not take on the responsibility of providing supplies except maybe cups for water and paper towels. People really should come prepared to paint or the right materials to prep their minis.

Now if you are going to teach that's a different story and what you should provide will change.

We have managed to survive a couple of location changes over the years as well.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

Thanks for the advice pcktlnt and Heisler.

I'm in the valley, I'm not a gamer, but I am a painter. If you meet at a time/day I am available, I'm in.

I will PM you with more information when I get a time and date nailed down. I am looking at the third Saturday or fourth Sunday but I do not know when we will start.

Thanks for the advice pcktlnt and Heisler.

I'm in the valley, I'm not a gamer, but I am a painter. If you meet at a time/day I am available, I'm in.

I will PM you with more information when I get a time and date nailed down. I am looking at the third Saturday or fourth Sunday but I do not know when we will start.

That works for my schedule generally

As the organizer, you are only responsible for scheduling the date/time, and making sure it gets out to those who need to know it.

Everything else is the responsibility of the people who choose to show up.

Make sure you know, and that everyone coming knows, the rules of the venue you're meeting at. Some places are fine with bringing in outside food, others may require you to buy their snacks/drinks if they have them available.

Always be on your best behaviour, and try to buy something if you're at a store, even if it's just a snack or a die or two, just as a courtesy and a way of saying thank you to the owners.

Make sure that the people coming know that they're going to need to bring their own materials, i.e., this is not an ongoing paint-and-take... (Most folks won't mind lending somebody a color or two for a bit, but they're not going to give you their bottle of Carnage Red so you can paint your entire dragon that color.)

Always end the session early enough to clean up after yourselves before leaving - making sure that everyone understands they're responsible for their own trash, and leave the area in the same condition you found it.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

So I talked to a few members of the gaming group that paint and it turns out that one of the employees at the FLGS wants to get one started as well and is actually hosting a contest ending in July. We talked and it looks like we are going to start meeting on Wednesdays during the D&D encounters and continue afterwards. That way we can support the group and anyone who is playing can paint afterwards. I will be going to hangout and paint while they are playing and couple of others will as well. If anyone is interested it is the Realm Games and Comics in Brea. It is right off the 57 freeway on Imperial Highway next to the Brea Mall. We will be meeting around 6pm.

• Like 2