Sign in to follow this  
scorpio616

Homemade Hunting Horror

And in the air about him were great viperine creatures, which had curiously distorted heads, and grotesquely great clawed appendages, supporting themselves with ease by the aid of black rubbery wings of singularly monstrous dimensions.

—August DerlethThe Lurker at the Threshold

Time for a critter that seems a staple of the Call of Cthulhu game.

Amusingly, most of the depictions, including the Grenadier and RAFM sculpts of the creature ignore the  "grotesquely great clawed appendages" line. I'll keep with this tradition since I think not having limbs keeps the creature more "otherworldy".

Took a coated copper wire and started wrapping newspaper around it. The wire will let me shape the critter as I want later.

post-12161-0-64742900-1402964840_thumb.jpg

Used masking tape to make a skin to bind the newspaper.

post-12161-0-36689200-1402964839_thumb.jpg

Measured more wire to make the wing base

post-12161-0-02540700-1402964840_thumb.jpg

Drilled through the body and ran the wire through

post-12161-0-72148300-1402964838.jpg

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      These two were made out of hot glue and given a quick paintjob by my sister and me. I like how they look and I made 4x medium and 8x small ones the same way. Will post them too when painted If you like these! :D

Next to a reaper bones orc:

Before the paintjob:

• By Nightwing
      Here are 4 twisted wire trees I made. Three of them use moss from a craft store package, one used Woodland Scenics foliage. They all use Vallejo Earth Texture, Woodland Scenics scrubery, and Army Painter Lowland Shrubs. 

Here is is an average wizard under a tree for size reference: 

• By SparrowMarie
      I have some minis I want to pin (or attempt to, have never done it before). I have wire, tons of paper clips, and am going to acquire some brass rod soon. But my question is about the clippers. I know I shouldn't use my sprue cutters for most things beyond plastics, resin, and other things like those. 

So my question is what kind of clippers (cutters?) Do I need to cut the metal bits down to size? I don't want to ruin my good clippers by cutting something too hard. I saw some in the jewelry section at Michael's but wasn't sure they'd hold up in the long run since it said it cuts soft wire and thread.
    • By malefactus
      Our Own Glitterwolf posted a photo in my Last Hurrah Thread:

I loved it. I knew I would have to make a version of my own (there were some liberties taken...a lot of liberties). 
      Once more I had the base all ready for her...or some other hapless miniature. AND here is the result:

There you go.
    • By malefactus
      I have been planning a few ore photo stages. The Trio of Trees will be movable props, & character actors in the cast.
      They will eventually appear in somewhat fancier surroundings, but for their first presentation, they are seen here on my work table:

The Philosopher or Idiot...take your pick:

The Conversation, Monk & Tree:

AND the Group Portrait:

...if you go out in the Woods today, you're in for a big surprise.

• Who's Online   17 Members, 2 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)