Love the composition.

For the figures, in general, I feel they need more highlights and shading. You clearly demonstrate you have very fine brush control on this one, something I had missed in previous show-offs from you. The terrain also looks like it need a lot more shading to look natural, especially the bridge and the tree.

And that giantic faux flower and leaf on the bridge side looks so off-scale it seems to be there just to cover some defect, and unfortunately ruins the whole effect for me. Definitely not a fan of such additions to your bases.

• Like 1

I love the piece in general, but I do agree with Willen about the gigantic flower kind of throwing me off with how big it is in relation to the rest of your wonderful scene. Your bases are usually magnificent and keep things in perfect scale, so this one is kind of surprising with going out of scale on just the one little addition.

• Like 1

Love the composition.

For the figures, in general, I feel they need more highlights and shading. You clearly demonstrate you have very fine brush control on this one, something I had missed in previous show-offs from you. The terrain also looks like it need a lot more shading to look natural, especially the bridge and the tree.

And that giantic faux flower and leaf on the bridge side looks so off-scale it seems to be there just to cover some defect, and unfortunately ruins the whole effect for me. Definitely not a fan of such additions to your bases.

Willen...Thank you for your comments and feedback...I appreciate your comments (if this were a standard war/battle scene...which it is not) your comments would be valid but the scene depicts a well kept and manicured oriental fantasy garden (thus the wooden bridge is in pristine state as are the grounds)...the lack of weathering, other foliage, and the oversized flower are all completely deliberate and by intentional design. As far as the two figures go (your statement of them needing more highlights and shading)...I appreciate your comment, but completely disagree (in fact they are slightly over highlighted)...The piece depicts the " Ying & Yang "...of the dark & light!

• Like 2

Do you have a better angle of the water under the bridge? I can't tell if you painted it up or do something else down there.

• Like 1

What would be then, the comparison for Ying/Yang, light and dark? Because the hue of the blue, mayor color on both minis, seems very similar from the pics, so I am not getting it from them. Contrast levels seem, in general, not pushed far enough for current standards, that was were my original comment was going.

I guess I am trying to say that I don't get what you say are trying to convey with the piece  :down:

• Like 1

What would be then, the comparison for Ying/Yang, light and dark? Because the hue of the blue, mayor color on both minis, seems very similar from the pics, so I am not getting it from them. Contrast levels seem, in general, not pushed far enough for current standards, that was were my original comment was going.

I guess I am trying to say that I don't get what you say are trying to convey with the piece :down:

Willen. Different eyes...as different people...see things differently. You state that you do not see the Ying/Yang; whereas I see the white kabuki face vs. the dark clothing...I see the black shrouds of the warriors highlighted by the lighter blue...I see the dark horror of pending battle and death vs. the light clean surroundings...I see the extremely high contrast levels of the two figures vs the base piece!

I have no idea as to what your statement means (contrast levels not pushed far enough for current standards). I have no idea what standards you refer to...I don't follow standards...I create artistic visions. As far as you not understanding what I am saying with the piece...as I said in the opening...different eyes...different people...see things differently!

Do you have a better angle of the water under the bridge? I can't tell if you painted it up or do something else down there.

ub3r...No I don't have any shots of under the bridge...there is really nothing to see...I have reeds on one side...lily pads under the bridge...and the bamboo stalks growing on the other side.

I think what Willen is trying to get to with the "current standards" is the mantra around the forums where people speak of higher highlights and deeper/darker shadows, the greater contrasts is the "standard" for most competition pieces that are winning awards like the Crystal Brush and Golden Demon. I know you enter competitions as well and have won many awards, but if you ever go take a look at the stuff that is winning those "top awards" you'll see the difference between what you are used to painting and what the other painters out there are doing.

All that being said, everyone does have their own style and this piece is a great representation of how you paint your figures and how you do your vignettes/dioramas. It's always very clean and portrays a wonderful story.

ub3r...No I don't have any shots of under the bridge...there is really nothing to see...I have reeds on one side...lily pads under the bridge...and the bamboo stalks growing on the other side.

Is the water just painted then? I wasn't sure if you used something like water effects or realistic water down there that's what I was most curious about.

• Like 1

I think what Willen is trying to get to with the "current standards" is the mantra around the forums where people speak of higher highlights and deeper/darker shadows, the greater contrasts is the "standard" for most competition pieces that are winning awards like the Crystal Brush and Golden Demon. I know you enter competitions as well and have won many awards, but if you ever go take a look at the stuff that is winning those "top awards" you'll see the difference between what you are used to painting and what the other painters out there are doing.

All that being said, everyone does have their own style and this piece is a great representation of how you paint your figures and how you do your vignettes/dioramas. It's always very clean and portrays a wonderful story.

Is the water just painted then? I wasn't sure if you used something like water effects or realistic water down there that's what I was most curious about.

Since it is just a tiny bit of water...it is just layered gloss paint over a blue/green base.

• Like 1

No need to be rude or get upset. I am sorry, I was offering my own point of view and hoping to both understand you, and engage in conversation.

No need to be rude or get upset. I am sorry, I was offering my own point of view and hoping to both understand you, and engage in conversation.

Willen, my friend...please forgive me if you took offense to my pointing out the different visual views from two different people looking at the same item (be it a sculpture, a painting or a miniature figure piece).  I am not at all upset and by no means did I mean for my retort to your comments to be considered and/or taken by yourself as my being rude. As I stated in my first reply...I thank you for your comments/feedback...both of which are greatly appreciated!

Paul (Catdancer) 

• Like 2

All cool then.

Is the bridge scratchbuilt? If so, can you tell us how you did it? It is impressive and I would love to try my hand at something similar for an oriental-themed board.

• Like 2