Using Reaper Anti-Shine Additive with P3 paint?

Hello all,

I've been exploring some P3 paint I picked up and I've found that the primary-ish colors (blues, reds etc) are a tad shiny and reflective for my tastes.  Brilliant and eye-catching, but also "I-can-see-my-face!" levels of shine.  It is a whole different beast from my usual fare and certainly has its purpose but I want to see if I can break down that reflectivity.

So, I'm wondering if I should try Reaper's anti-shine additive.  I don't have any and have never used anything like it.  I've read the threads on it: it is not matte medium, use tiny quantities or you will get frosting. 

I could just order some, of course, but I just received a large order from Reaper and need to build up a basket again, which might take me a bit of time.  So I need a motivation.

Has anyone used this additive on P3 paint specifically?

Thanks!  I would be most grateful for your thoughts and experiences! 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not, but P3 should be very similar to the Coat D'Arms I have used.  Of course, I also haven't tried anti-shine additive in that.  But I am aware of the shine you're talking about. 

It should work, theoretically, but go slow and cautious.  The line between too little and too much may be very fine.  Try a drop, see how it does.  Then another, etc.  That should get you to a sweet spot with relatively low risk. 

Coat D'Arms has proven robust to all the weird things I make it do, in fact it's the most robust of all my paints.  So it should be pretty hard to kill with a bit of experimenting. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4

I suggest you also look into Vallejo Matt Medium, I find it less trciky to use than Reaper Anti-shine Additive.

Thanks for your reply -- I tried Liquitex Matte Medium with the P3 paints and it did not reduce the shine (although it lengthened the drying time significantly).  Does Vallejo Matte Medium have special qualities that reduce the shine in paint?

We use tamiya flat base, its fantastic. And was recommended by top Spanish painters :)

Hmmm ... this is sounding like it is worth an experiment.  Cheers!

EDIT: so a phone call later .... Tamiya flat base is a brush on matte finish, right, rather than an additive to paint?  Someone at the hobby shop just told me it was a brush on, but I am finding internet info suggesting it is an additive to the paint. 

EDIT EDIT: found this video which demonstrates that it is an additive:

Seems like Hobby shop guy didn't actually know what it is for, although as the video man says, info on this substance is scarce.  I see a mission to the Hobby shop in my future!

Edited by Carnacki the Ghost Finder
  • Like 3

I suggest you also look into Vallejo Matt Medium, I find it less trciky to use than Reaper Anti-shine Additive.

Thanks for your reply -- I tried Liquitex Matte Medium with the P3 paints and it did not reduce the shine (although it lengthened the drying time significantly).  Does Vallejo Matte Medium have special qualities that reduce the shine in paint?

Vallejo Matt Medium just seems to get the job done for me, I have no idea why it seems to be better than say Liquitex Matte Medium. I've also tried the Liquitex Matte Medium as well as the W&N Galeria Matte medium, both seems to dry slightly shiny. In fact if I add it to Reaper paints it dries satiny. Liquitex Ultra Matte Medium, OTOH, dries flat too. However I find that if I use too much it lightens the color a little and slightly chalky.

The Reaper Anti-Shine Additive I have has a paste consistency. I don't know if that's how it should be or I have an old bottle.

Oh, and just to be clear I haven't tried the Vallejo Matt Medium with P3 paints since I don't have any right now. But I do have some P3 inks and I have used it with those.

• Like 1

Vallejo Matt Medium just seems to get the job done for me, I have no idea why it seems to be better than say Liquitex Matte Medium. I've also tried the Liquitex Matte Medium as well as the W&N Galeria Matte medium, both seems to dry slightly shiny. In fact if I add it to Reaper paints it dries satiny. Liquitex Ultra Matte Medium, OTOH, dries flat too. However I find that if I use too much it lightens the color a little and slightly chalky.

The Reaper Anti-Shine Additive I have has a paste consistency. I don't know if that's how it should be or I have an old bottle.

Oh, and just to be clear I haven't tried the Vallejo Matt Medium with P3 paints since I don't have any right now. But I do have some P3 inks and I have used it with those.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!  Super helpful -- I appreciate it.   Part of the challenge of this experiment is working with what I can find locally.  I can't get Reaper locally.  I know one place that has Vallejo but I don't know yet if they have Vallejo Matt Medium.  I can get Liquitex at the craft store and there is a Hobby supply warehouse in town that has Tamiya, as well as row upon row upon row of model kits and HO scale train stuff.  So there are some good options there.  It will be trial and error.

Cheers.

It's definitely fine as an additive but will take a bit to get used to the proper ratios.

I've never had any medium make my paint look as flat and matte as this stuff does.

It was recommended by one of the top painters I know of from Spain, and I've also used it recently so I can confirm it's effectiveness :)

• Like 3

Couldn't find Vallejo matt medium ...

But managed to pick up the Tamiya X-21 Flat Base, and just spent the morning testing it with P3 sanguine base and P3 Cygnar Blue Base.

It works really well!  A little dab and some flow additive tones that shine way down.   Looking forward to continuing to discovering its qualities.  Thanks so much for sharing this wisdom. 

Thanks also to the enigmatic Spaniard!

• Like 6