Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
By Ryan S
Hi, I want to start this to get me motivated to get some accountability and hopefully guilt myself into working. So here is the very first of hopefully many steps.
The first step is to prime the miniature, I've done that, the 2nd step? To photograph the miniature to capture the volumes of real light that shows where I want my light source. For this I want two light sources. So really that means I just used my computer screen and my ceiling light, adjust the miniature to taste and get the angle I want to set the light.
The screen light is whiter and will be the light from outside the window, the yellower ceiling light will be my tavern fire light and will be the primary light source.
The skin will be fairly shiny so this is pretty much a mandatory process to get those realistic sheens....because I'm literally stealing form reality it helps a lot. If I were a better painter I could fake the light sources with enough knowledge. Thankfully I have some serious shadows on the model, and my mid tones will have a lot of room for blending.
The problem now? Picking my colors.
What do I know? I know the floor is wood colored and the axe/haft materials
I know that I'm going to want off white and pinks for eye whites and gums teeth etc.
The gold of the primer is actually a really beautiful color for a fantasy creature, so I might see if I can't keep that.
So Gold, pink, whites/off whites, and browns, I don't know if I want a two toned or patterned beholder. I think this is gonna be a challenge whatever I do. I think I want to go for a fleshy color
Since I haven’t had a WIP in a very long time, I thought this mini would be perfect for it. I plan to paint her up for a Christmas gift for a friend and figured to keep me on track I’d do a WIP.
I have a few minis in progress she’ll be my main priority after my Darksword Stephanie Law Bard. I prepped her and primed yesterday after the humidity finally dropped.
My current projects in various stages on my desk.
And just the pinup after some prep work
A few places I could have spent more time on but figured I’ll prime and see what stands out.
I used army painter matte black primer followed by Tamiya fine white primer. For the bits on her base I left them in black since she will be the focal point no need to use white on them, it’ll help the colors be a bit more muted.
And finally my quick mock up for color checking. I usually just print a stock photo and use my paints over it to plan the general scheme.
Now to finish up my bard then onto tackling her flesh. Since she’ll have a hint of sheer with her stocking I needed to be sure the color for her skin and the sheer works and won’t lose the effect due to the color choices.
Feel free to post C&C throughout, or ask questions. I’m always happy to share what I can. I’ll do my best to share the steps I take and colors used.
Happy painting everyone.
I’m starting my first of the kid heroes from the Bones 5 core set. I really like the character design with the sharp looking long coat, cool hair and bone sword.
I want to do something different with the skin on this one. I want to paint them as a moon elf, with cool undertones and warmer highlights.
im going to try basecoating with a blue and highlight up to pinkish highlight. Not sure if this is going to work.
Starting with a basecoat of ritterlich:dark elf at about 1:1.
This is along the lines of what I’m going for with the skin. Putting this here for reference.
The merfolk in Dark Depths sculpted by Bobby Jackson were one of the things I was most looking forward to in Bones 5.
I chose the Mermaid Ranger for my RCL Q3 Large Group “Under the Sea”, and started work on her after ReaperCon.
I've been trying to make bolder color choices, and thought this was a great mini to push myself in that direction.
I’ve posted some WIPs on discord, but wanted to record the process here in a bit more detail.
First I primed both rangers with Badger neutral primer, and then basecoated the tails and hair with 0963 Coal Black
Then I tried to airbrush the tails with 09330 Wild Violet while leaving some dark shadows.
Been working on these guys as a test for the squad color scheme. Trying some layering on the white, it's working out well so far.
They're 1:48 scale, same as Star Wars Legion, and I've rebased them onto the same 27mm bases that Legion uses. Mostly because the standard D1947 bases are like 35mm. Way huge.
Who's Online 23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)