Sanael: Sporadic Workbench

Nightmare black! One of my favorites I listed recently!!

I had a feeling I'd invoke your presence with this post! I remember when you discovered just how blue it is at Rcon. It's a great color, and worked really well for this project.

Cash, Ashen Blue is one of my favorites for a lot of things...it is very bright here, against such a dark background, but I like the way it plays. This isn't anywhere near as subtle as your gravekeeper, but I like it for a magic effect.

Willen, glad you like what I'm doing. You're right that a few more points of brightness are called for, especially on the gem bits (I'm thinking of the beard-rings as some kind of agate). The wand does have some white edging that isn't photographing well, but I may go back in on that, too. The beard is bothering me a bit, so I'll have to do something about that.

Grim, thanks for the comment!

• Like 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh this is looking so gorgeous!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  Thank you for taking so many pics and walking us through the process, I found it all very fascinating even though I know it's not something I'll be attempting anytime soon! Will definitely file it away for later though!

Guindyloo, don't be afraid of the OSL. It's really, as I said in my post, just highlighting in a different color, at least at its basic level. Once you've got a good grasp on how to place highlights and shadows, it's a pretty reasonable jump. Like anything, it'll take a while to master--this dwarf is far from perfect, and I have several other OSL attempts under my belt before this one--but it's a pretty cool effect once you try it!

I'm afraid I don't really have a good grasp on how to place highlights and shadows yet! Drybrushing, yes; but actually purposefully placing them in a controlled way? Nope. For now I'll just keep admiring it from afar!

Well, I took a break from the Oathsworn wizard, as he took a bit of a tumble. So close to being done, and he had a box full of dwarfs dropped on his head!

After the disaster, his staff-hammer and wand were both at right angles to their original positions. A lot of paint was removed as well, as shown here (after I reshaped the bends):

post-3328-0-00383300-1412297338_thumb.jpg

Having cleaned up the bending and the flakes of paint, I began to repaint. I'm now willing to call him finished, and I'm sending him to show off.

Given the new WiP thread rules, I'll be abandoning this thread in favor of my specific-project threads. Please take a look; they're in my sig!

• Like 3