• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put some time in on the sash cover kilt thing. I chose to use Splattered Crimson and the related triad. I did not have a camera while working but will try and remember to take a pic prior to doing more work.

What is the consensus on eyes? So far I have two black dots. Not sure if I can push it much further, but would love to hear other people's plans.

I put some time in on the sash cover kilt thing. I chose to use Splattered Crimson and the related triad. I did not have a camera while working but will try and remember to take a pic prior to doing more work.

What is the consensus on eyes? So far I have two black dots. Not sure if I can push it much further, but would love to hear other people's plans.

I'm not worrying about his eyes, I can't make them out on the mini so I'm just leaving that whole area in shadow.

• Like 2

Did a bit more work on Kord:-

kz24l.jpg

hbiv.jpg

I finished off his steely bits and gave the fur a good drybrush of Vallejo Red Orange and Sun Yellow.

Now I'm putting down various basecoats for all the other stuff, I'm kinda stuck now due to how many layers he's wearing (there's like six or seven different things on his right arm alone). I dislike putting similar colours next to each other but I also don't want him becoming Kord the Angry Clown.

• Like 11

I received and began painting my Kord!

This was the first bones mini that I've had to straighten out any bendy parts. I dunked him in boiling water from the microwave and then into cold tap water. It worked really well and I'm sure Kord is as pleased as I am that his axe is no longer a bendy noodle and is now a proper instrument of gory death.

I honestly didn't make too many attempts at removing mold lines on him as they seemed to be all up in the detail work and I'd rather a few minuscule mold lines than muck up details. I then nearly dropped his cloak down the drain while scrubbing - really should have better paid attention to the fact that it popped off so easily.

I first picked up the trick of painting the mini completely in brown liner and then drybrushing with a white shade to make the details pop from one of you, so thank you for that. I might have first seen it in this very thread, but I put it into practice on my werewolf (not sure on the timeframe there) and used it for Kord as well. I only dropped the cloak 2 more times during this part. At this rate, he will have a very short, but fashionable mini cloak by the end of my painting him.  ::P:

So then since it seemed that everyone else was picking out his skin first, I did the same.

post-13371-0-91645900-1403975500.jpgpost-13371-0-27301200-1403975501.jpg

This is my first human skin tone. I think it's looking decent enough, (aside from the splotch of skintone paint in his mustache - oopsies) although it could certainly use some more shading on the chest area and legs. I find myself hopelessly confused by his chest area anatomy though. Does his ribcage expand when he lifts his arms? Where are his pecs? Does he keep his waist cinched to keep his delicate lady figure?So confused. I'm going to stare at everyone else's pics to try to figure it out. Also, does he have a chin? It looks like some of you painted a chin but I'm not seeing it. Maybe my Kord leaves his beard more unkempt.  ::P:

Then it's on to picking out colours for the rest of him. I haven't decided yet if he's going to be blonde or a brunette. Probably blonde since I want to do the bear cloak brown, but we'll see.

• Like 7

Sooo, off and on all day I've been working on my Kord. As has been noted by others, he's wearing a lot of layers. Like, a lot. My friend commented that he's definitely overencumbered with all that equipment - he must loot like I do and we've caught him on his way to a merchant.

He definitely never heard the Coco Chanel quote of looking in the mirror and removing one accessory before leaving the house. I've taken to referring to him as Kord The Destroyer of Outlet Malls. 

So, instead of fighting against the many layers, I decided to embrace what a fashionista Kord obviously is and just colour coordinate him. I'd like to think that he's feeling pretty.

post-13371-0-36076400-1404017526.jpgpost-13371-0-73233700-1404017526.jpg

As usual, my terrible lighting and equally terrible iphone pictures are completely washing everything out. I swear there's shading on his skin...it's not very good shading, but it's not glaring white as it appears there. Also I'm really irritated that the green is looking so dull here. In person, it's a very vibrant emerald and I got some pretty highlighting in it. Here, dull as a spoon. It's the iphone that dulls the colours for sure, as I attempted to capture the proper colour earlier while it was still light out. It made no difference.

Obviously I made him blonde, but I decided that the tuft on the top of his head reminded me more of plumage on a helm than hair, so I painted it as such.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

post-13371-0-33425100-1404018160.jpg

I can't figure out what it is and thus, I have no idea how it should be painted.

C&C always very welcome!

• Like 6

Been forever since I painted a mini (still working my way through my DwarvenForge game tiles...almost done!) but for some reason this WIP got me interested in getting this guy painted, so here we go.

First session was some basing work, and some brown liner base coat:

post-9097-0-44270800-1404018982_thumb.jpg post-9097-0-24773000-1404018983_thumb.jpg

I probably should have added another smaller layer of cork over the bottom one, but oh well.  This was a base I had started some time ago and decided it would work for this guy.  I plan to make it snow covered by the end.

After this, I added some Liquitex resin sand around the base to fill in the rough edges (no pictures of this step).

Next session was getting the base colors mostly done (for minis I have already attached, I usually do this first since it's a lot of dry brushing and I don't want to slop it onto the mini), and then doing the skin:

post-9097-0-04693400-1404018984_thumb.jpg post-9097-0-09123200-1404018985_thumb.jpg

Not totally happy with the rock colors on the base; may try another glaze/wash of something, although it will get covered with snow anyway so I may not bother.  Did a bit of work on the beard/hair, and a base coat on the helm, mostly to get some variation around the face to tell if the skintone was where I wanted it.  Next up: figuring out where the heck to go next.  I am going to need a lot of browns on this guy; need to look up some recipes for different cool and warm browns.

• Like 8

Sooo, off and on all day I've been working on my Kord. As has been noted by others, he's wearing a lot of layers. Like, a lot. My friend commented that he's definitely overencumbered with all that equipment - he must loot like I do and we've caught him on his way to a merchant.

He definitely never heard the Coco Chanel quote of looking in the mirror and removing one accessory before leaving the house. I've taken to referring to him as Kord The Destroyer of Outlet Malls. 

So, instead of fighting against the many layers, I decided to embrace what a fashionista Kord obviously is and just colour coordinate him. I'd like to think that he's feeling pretty.

attachicon.gifkord4.JPGattachicon.gifkord5.JPG

As usual, my terrible lighting and equally terrible iphone pictures are completely washing everything out. I swear there's shading on his skin...it's not very good shading, but it's not glaring white as it appears there. Also I'm really irritated that the green is looking so dull here. In person, it's a very vibrant emerald and I got some pretty highlighting in it. Here, dull as a spoon. It's the iphone that dulls the colours for sure, as I attempted to capture the proper colour earlier while it was still light out. It made no difference.

Obviously I made him blonde, but I decided that the tuft on the top of his head reminded me more of plumage on a helm than hair, so I painted it as such.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

attachicon.gifcloseup.JPG

I can't figure out what it is and thus, I have no idea how it should be painted.

C&C always very welcome!

My guess is that it's a type of Sporran.

• Like 1

I had thought both of those things were a possibility, but the oblong shape on the front is completely throwing me off. I guess I'll just put some shade of brown on it and go from there. Thanks for your thoughts!