Sign in to follow this  
Guindyloo

Guindyloo's WIP

Alright, so I thought I'd start a WIP thread for myself while I wait for this wash to dry. I didn't dilute it enough so it got weird on me and I thought posting would be more productive than watching paint dry.

I'm working on 77009: Werewolf

First, behold the way too thick coat of brown liner that I put on my wolfie yesterday:

post-13371-0-17990200-1403317581.jpg

Oh wow, such delicate painting, amazing restraint.

Now this evening I did a quick drybrush of Splintered Bone just so I could see the details and then I thought I'd do a wash of Nightmare Black really just to help the mini speak to me. Nothing's terribly obvious in the pic, especially not with this dreadful lighting.

post-13371-0-53818600-1403317892.jpg

I've been wanting to paint this guy for a while but I hadn't really decided on a colour palette, but now I think I know what direction I'm headed in.

• Like 9

You gotta start somewhere. This layers of paint, while time consuming, is best for showing off (and not covering up) the details.

• Like 2

Extremely happy to see you start your own thread, off to a nice start! Looking forward to this figure.

• Like 1

Put down a base of 1:1 Nightmare Black & Nightsky Blue for the skin and Woodstain Brown for the fur.

post-13371-0-74812200-1403324895.jpgpost-13371-0-42603800-1403324896.jpg

Not really feeling the tone of the brown. Right now I'm deciding what to wash it with to bring it to where I want it. It's reading very grey when I want it to look more, you know, brown.

Btw, I should've mentioned before - any and all comments and constructive criticism are extremely welcomed by me at all times!

• Like 12

I like the blue on his skin...should come up pretty well, I'll be interested to see it.

As for the brown, I might suggest a brown in the redder end of the spectrum...Chestnut brown if you want it warmer, something in the Cinder brown family for cooler...except that I just remembered the Cinder/Volcano brown group is OOP now, so I'm not sure what the cool pink/purple brown is anymore. But something in the vicinity of red would contrast nicely with the blue, I think.

• Like 4

I like Sanael's idea of the redder/warmer browns or if you don't have those colors, try mixing a bit of red into your darkest brown to get that chestnut color.

• Like 2

Thanks, that definitely helped. I don't have chestnut brown, but I mixed ruddy brown with brown liner and watered that down a bit.

post-13371-0-82377900-1403330221.jpgpost-13371-0-54250100-1403330222.jpg

I think he's browner now, right?

• Like 10

So I've been working on highlighting his skin this morning. Drybrushing is my favourite part so I spend a long time just gradually bringing the colour lighter and lighter. I used a mix of Nightsky Blue & Nightmare Black &Splintered Bone at first. Not really sure on proportions. For the lightest highlights I put a dot of Gem Purple to lighten the tone.

post-13371-0-06202100-1403367120.jpgpost-13371-0-41947700-1403367120.jpg

Toward the end of the highlights I almost completely eliminated Nightsky Blue from the mix to where there was probably only a little smidge of it. I then took the lightest paint and thinned it out and took a detail brush to certain areas to clean it up.

post-13371-0-20682500-1403367121.jpgpost-13371-0-92974800-1403367121.jpg

Upon seeing those pics big on the screen, I ran back and added a little more highlighting to the underside of his raised arm and heel of his hand, as it was looking pretty flat.

I'm pretty pleased with him thus far. Thoughts or suggestions on his skin? I think I need to lighten up the right side (his right) of his face, there's not much transition, especially compared to the left side.

Also, what's the best way to lighten reddish brown for highlighting his fur? I don't want it to go too grey on me again.

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 11

I think I'm finished with highlighting the fur (probably....maybe.) I started mixing browns with Ruddy Brown. Like 6 different browns, I don't really know what all I used. Many layers. The last layer was straight Maiden Flesh. I also did some clean up on the skin because the brush I'm using for drybrushing is honestly a little too big, but I tried using a smaller one and I didn't like it anywhere near as much. This one just works right. So,much clean up in my future. Oh well.

I also did a little bit of a light Nightmare Black wash over the dark areas of the skin. I think it punched up the contrast.

post-13371-0-03810500-1403386435.jpgpost-13371-0-57418200-1403386435.jpg

I'm very pleased with him right now. I think I might move on to detail work.

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 10

Nice! Nightmare black is one of my favorite colors, so versatile. Glad you're getting some dood results out of it. Looking forward to seeing those details happen.

• Like 2

I like blue and brown as a combo.  You could almost put a bit of purple in your blue shadows if you wanted.  nice!

• Like 2