Guindyloo's WIP

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The blue skin is a great idea. You're very good at drybrushing, it's something I've never really gotten the hang of. I think it just needs something to tie the two different colour areas together. Perhaps add a bit of blue into the recesses of the fur, or maybe do a bit of a glaze or wash over the whole thing. Looks good so far.

• Like 1

Fiddly bits are all done, probably. I wish the eyes popped a bit more in person, but considering they were my first eyes ever and I didn't completely massacre them, I'm calling them done and counting myself lucky.

The claws are appearing very stark/opaque in the pictures, but they're muddied down in person, the lighting is just contrasting them into oblivion.

I took your suggestion, Corporea, and added a bit of purple to the shadows. It absolutely refuses to show up properly in pictures, but I think it added a nice depth in person.

post-13371-0-86880600-1403411814.jpgpost-13371-0-22987700-1403411815.jpg

These were the most colour/saturation accurate pictures I could get, between the iphone that thinks it's a fun time to inexplicably change the tone of blues and purples and The Worst Lighting in the Worldâ„¢. Relocating everything to a different room that has better lighting but no space for a paint station wasn't too much of a hassle, but my werewolf found himself in a rather precarious situation as being setup on my bed piqued the interest of both my cat and my dog. I have never uttered the phrase "it's not food" so many times in all my life.

Pragma: I attempted to marry the fur and skin together several different ways. A thin blue glaze/wash pushed the tone too grey, whereas a heavier blue glaze/wash gave everything a monochromatic look, which wasn't what I was going for. I tried pushing a bit of blue into the recesses of the fur but as you can see, well, you can't see it. In the end, these two have decided that it's for the best that they remain platonic friends who maybe hold hands every now and then when no one's looking. It's my matchmaking failure and, in all seriousness, something I'll have to work on. Any method I'm overlooking? I was considering doing a very, very light drybrushing of almost white blue but I was a bit concerned about that coming off more as poor brush control rather than being purposeful.

The base is intentionally just hanging out unfinished. I really want to explore doing some basing but from my looking around, it seems my best bet is to buy supplies from Hobby Lobby. Unfortunately, the nearest Hobby Lobby location is about 30 miles from here in an area that I have no other reason to be in. I could order online, but they don't do free shipping and I have a mental block against shipping fees. The brightside is, there's a new location opening up within 5 miles of me on July 11th, so that's when I'll get back around to basing things out.

Still open to suggestions, although I think I might start working on another piece.

• Like 11

This is certainly not progress. I ordered a lot of new paints. A lot. One box came home with me yesterday and the other two I accidentally left at my office. The company I ordered from for the first box puts each paint bottle in an individual baggie so I spent some time un-bagging them. There was one where the number and name were a bit rubbed off, so I left it in the baggie, which also has a name and number sticker on the outside and proceeded to take my dog for a walk since there was a break in the horrible weather we've been having. I came back inside to find a baggie with a paint bottle on the floor and my first thought was "Oh, I must have dropped one." Then I picked it up and got paint on my hands.

post-13371-0-96611100-1403841234.jpg

There are little holes all in the bag and bottle. CAT TEETH shaped holes.  :down:

Better to find out now that my cat is a paint bottle murdering fiend than to come home from work to brightly coloured paint all over the furniture and carpet. I imagine it was really just the baggie that he couldn't resist chewing on, but better safe than sorry. This completely changes my plans to keep my paint displayed out on the desk, which is a bummer as that certainly would have made things handy. I'm now also worried about the safety of anything left on the desk, which I've only just de-cluttered and moved to a better location. I'm concerned now though that it was a mistake to back it up to the couch, as it obviously gives the cat easy access to it. He's not usually one to get on the furniture and hadn't disturbed my painting station on the dining room table. I'm not sure what to do now. I was really excited about making myself a really functional painting station despite my very limited space.  :down:  I'm at a loss for discouraging him from getting up there again.

I think the paint itself will be salvageable at least. I just so happened to buy some empty bottles, so I can transfer it. Unfortunately, the empty bottles are in one of the boxes I left at the office. I triple bagged it in the meantime and put it and all of my other paints away where the cat (who I am not speaking to for the remainder of the evening) can no longer get to them.

As far as actual progress goes, well, I also got in my Kord so I can join in the group WIP this weekend, so I'll be posting that there. I wish I had more time during the week for painting, I'm excited to use these new colours!

• Like 4

So last night I painted up an adorable skeleton.

post-13371-0-54334700-1403974063.jpgpost-13371-0-87026100-1403974063.jpg

Pretty standard, I just really wanted to paint one because it was my love of skeletons that brought me to the hobby in the first place. I had massive troubles with the spear handle as I was going for making it wooden and it pretty much turned into a complete disaster. Lesson learned: armour wash creates a shiny glaze that is not compatible with any attempts to drybrush over it. It may also have been a bit damp when I tried. (not entirely sure why I was using armour wash for wood anyway. It was late, we'll blame it on a tired brain.) After about 11 hopeless coats trying to save it, I finally just gave up and made it metallic. The paint on it is very obviously extremely thick and thus has begun to look a bit chunky. It's okay though, I learned from it and I think that's important.

One more pic of him in natural light by my patio door so you can see that I actually attempted some shading on the shield, it's not just glare from my terrible lighting.

post-13371-0-16955000-1403974064.jpg

I didn't do anything with the base, still pondering basing attempts. I'm reasonably happy with him - C&C always very welcome!

Next I began painting up Kord the Destroyer, but his WIP will be posted in the group thread so do please check that out!

• Like 8

Once your bottles are out the cat should leasve them alone.  I have two and they donot touch the paint.. mini's is a different issue!

Possibly use the old spray bottle technique,  everytime the cat gets on the desk squirt it with water..  :devil:     they eventually give up.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think I'm going to give it a go at leaving them out. I left several out overnight and he didn't mess with them...although he was mostly busy stomping all over my head, as is his usual nightly routine. I was just really surprised because this isn't a little mischievous kitten we're talking about - this is my 10 year old full grown cat that I've had since he was a ball of fluff that could fit in the palm of my hand who's never been much of a troublemaker at all. It's usually just stringy objects and plants that I have to keep away from him. If I post asking for best methods to get paint out of carpet, you'll know it didn't work out so well.  ::P:

• Like 3

Greetings Grindyloo. Sorry to hear about the trouble your cat has given you. Hope it just gets better and better. Your irises look amazing. My only suggestion would be to add a gleam highlight with a touch of an off white paint. I believe it should give you that pop you are seeking. I hope that helps and it should not be to much trouble I hope. Your highlights look amazing. I like the highlights. Look forward to seeing more. Cheers Zoot.

• Like 1

The purple/brown in the werewolf's skin adds a lot of depth. The inner ears in particular are just really pleasing to my eye (I'm an unapologetic weirdo when it comes to appreciating art).

You could try glazing deep blue into the roots of the fur - basically where it is growing out of his body - for example, the darkest shadows in his beard. That way you are not muddying up the nicely highlighted fur too much.

Anyway looking great and can't wait to see what else you'll be working on!

• Like 1