Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Painting again

He's back!!!!

Thanks everyone.  :blush:

Erin, I have to say your work is phenomenal these days!

• Like 1

Yes, welcome back--it might take a couple of sessions to knock the rust off your brush (pun very much intended), but you'll be back up to speed in no time!  I like the color inspiration.  The crystals might be a great place to work in one of your accent colors (purple/green, both?) to unify the base with the model.  Then again, it also might be cool to do a brighter version of the main body color (orange, maybe into a golden yellow) since it looks like your accents are going to have a decent amount of surface area in their own right.

• Like 1

The orange/golden yellow is exactly what I was thinking Tonya! 

Do the crystals glow enough to cast OSL on the oxidation beast, or just faintly have their own internal glow?

• Like 1

That, I think, depends on how challenging you want to make the mini to paint!  ::P:

My gut reaction is to keep it faint, though; kind of like those deep-sea critters that glow just a bit.  In that case, the two crystals on the beastie's right would probably only reflect on the surrounding rocks, but the one on his left might be close enough to cast a little light on his tail.

If you start small, you can always increase the size of the glow until it seems properly proportioned.  

• Like 1

Welcome back Sir.  Your research for oxidation is impressive.

From a gaming standpoint I would just do a faint glow as we all know the Oxidation Beast is one of the most terrifying things to encounter in the darkness. 

From a technique standpoint I would do the OSL.  Perhaps doing the crystals casting a black light effect and creating an iridescent response in the Oxidation Beast.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 2

Aww!  Thanks!  I've been really pushing myself.  It's been fun!  I think you could go either way on the crystals.  You could start by getting everything painted up the way you want and then add some highlights if you feel you want or need them.  It's fantasy- we can do anything we want to it!

• Like 5

Here are some progress shots.

1) I used Nightshade Purple (one of my all time favorites) to darken up areas of the base with a wash, and then more seriously darken up lines and the monsters own shadow on the ground.

2) I used Nightshade Purple to darken up areas of the oxidation beast where the creature itself casts shadow upon itself and where there are cracks in it's side plates and deeper recesses.

3) I used Maggot White to lighten up the Imperial Purple I used to color block the creatures leg joints to work my way up to an iridescent like glow (thank you for the idea!!!).

My goal will be to have it's own glow case onto it's side plates faintly.

This is why I have always advocated taking photos and posting to the Reaper Forums. Lots of good advice and easy ideas that can make your work even better. 

Bad photos attached.

post-7416-0-31549200-1403540160_thumb.jpg

post-7416-0-91972600-1403540167_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Welcome back! Glad to see you're painting again.

My phone is sadly being weird, so I can't see your beastie right now...I'll be sure to take a look when I get home, though!

• Like 1