Beagle

Penny Dreadful - who's watching it?

I can't watch it at the moment, but some friends have told me it's very good. What's your take?

20140509HOPennyDreadful2-1.jpg

I'm watching it. I'm on the fence. I like what they're doing, just not sure how I feel about it yet. I keep watching so I must like it.

Just my 2¢...

I got 4 episodes in, trying to give it a chance, but found it too dreadful to continue viewing.

FYI, it's on Showtime, not Starz

I watched the first episode and it didn't grab me enough to make me think "I can't wait for the next episode". I've been meaning to watch the rest of them, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I watched the first episode and it didn't grab me enough to make me think "I can't wait for the next episode". I've been meaning to watch the rest of them, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Yep, this. Second episode just aired yesterday here, however, so while I am looking forward to episode two, it didn't grab my like True Detective did. 

At the house we are at full "let's watch Doctor Who!"-mode, however, so it might just be that we are more into some more, lighthearted shows at the moment. YMMV

• Like 1

I can't watch it at the moment, but some friends have told me it's very good. What's your take?

20140509HOPennyDreadful2-1.jpg

So if it is not Black, Grey, Gray, or Red it does not appear in this show?  (Can't look no cable for me...)

• Like 5

Yeah it's just....I don't know its hard to explain. Im a horror fan and I like the different characters or elements in it. The first turn off for me is that the sheer number of sex in it is off the charts. I mean come on, game of thrones had it bad but this feels worse. I think within the first four episodes there's like two or three sex scenes an episode plus some gratuitous nudity. But when you do get story it drags you in a bit to want to know a bit more then punishes you with a spur of the moment sex scene. I was terrified for Frankensteins scenes for fear that something was going to go on between him and the creature because that was a sexual realm that hasn't occurred yet. @_@ something similar happens but yeah. THATs what it is.

Edit: also the whole Frankenstein and his creature is what dragged me in the first place. I liked watching him teach and the learning.........THE OTHER creature is a mix up of wanting you to take pity on him or hating him because he's a massive swear word. You get absolutely no insight on why he's a massive swear word and from reading the book, I get it, but this movie makes it something different where you kind of have to disregard your previous knowledge? Anyway.....creatures a jerk.

Edit 2:

and nobody freaking asks why dude can talk to wolves. I know what he is, you know what he is, but he gets ONE scene and nobody asks questions, its never brought up and he continues living like a normal human being. Its been what five or six episodes now?!

/rant over I swear

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 1

MissMelons... thanks for that comment. I am afraid it will be a turn off for me too. If it makes sense and adds to the story, I don't care a little sex here and there, or nudity, but lately the focus on it is pissing me off. 

I mean, there are other kind of shows for that stuff.

• Like 3

I have seen the first 4 episodes. I'm on the fence. In my opinion it's not anywhere close to as good as True Detective. It's interesting...ish. But 4 episodes in, and it's going nowhere fast. The initial story line is fairly interesting, but I could care less about the Frankenstein angle. I really just don't care about the character or his little sub-plot. I think maybe they are trying to cram to many pulp references into it for me. They should have grabbed one angle, and gone with that. Just my .02.

• Like 1

I'm on episode 4. I'll probably keep watching it. I like the premise... a sort of updated take on "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" without the comic-bookish superheroics... the look and feel of the series is great. Some of the acting is sub-par, some is over the top --- but in general it's pretty good.

I guess I would tentatively recommend it. But very lukewarm recommendation. :^_^:

I had not heard of this show and don't have cable. That being said, I might find a way to watch it.

:wub: Billie Piper :wub:

• Like 3