ADW Ice Age Miniatures Kickstarter

Be the goat.

:;): Not trying to start anything, Dilvish, honestly - just my opinion, is all. I nearly posted the comments that were made, but decided that would be a bit too provocative...

That's OOP?

Shame...

Annoying, isn't it? Coop does a lot of amazing sculpts, but apart from that one they are all much larger pieces. Although it might be available again soon - it's now listed as 'Out of stock' rather than 'No longer available':

http://www.paleocraft.com/coelodonta.html

Oooh I love that wooly rhino! Rhinos are awesome anyways, I would love to have that. A great pose too

I love them! I've got a wooly rhino ulna on my mantelpiece... ^_^

Bookmarked to keep an eye on it ^^

• Like 2
  • Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I GOT IT! I got my chargeback. It's not the end of the line for me - I still plan on dogging these guy's footsteps - but it's a real weight off my back as a broke college student to have this refunded

I just confirmed with my credit card that Kickstarter/Amazon/ADW did not dispute the back charge on my $155 pledged to the Ice Age Mammals project within the time provided for a merchant to do so, so

ladystorm has altered the thread.  Pray she does not alter it further.

I'd like to see the actual production models, but I wouldn't mind simply being able to buy the things.

I don't know what it is, but terror birds and axe beaks in 28mm just don't seem to stay in production. Reaper's Axebeak is the only one I've seen that has any staying power. And I've seen ice age megafauna come and go, but they never seem to stick around, except when in the wrong scale.

They are going to be doing some additional creature sets in July which are not KS funded.

Info from their website:

28mm Sea Monsters

Available July 12, 2014

28mm Mythological Beasts

Available July 21, 2014

And the creator also clarified this in the KS comments:

Our first Myth Sets are:

Arabic

Russian

Celtic

Greek

Germanic

No KS, for those. But a 20% discount for this KS crew.

Edited by ctsteel

See, that's the issue for me: I want good miniatures and models, but I don't need to have all of them.

Reaper makes a fine Chimera, for example. I have two. And I don't want any other Chimeras, unless someone makes a better one than the ones I have, one that appeals to me more.

There are several Kickstarters out there producing fine and excellent fantasy miniatures... and I'm not backing them... NOT because I don't want them to succeed, but because I have more armored fighters, mounted knights, wizards, and so forth, of both genders than I know what to do with, and unless they have something that surpasses what I already have, I DON'T NEED ANY MORE!

This sometimes goes south when someone posts a really awesome WIP or Show Off, and suddenly, I need to see what I can do with that particular piece, but most of the time, I don't need any more fantasy characters, orcs, trolls, demons, and so forth. I do make an exception for dragons, because dragons just keep getting awesomer as the years roll by. But most fantasy stuff... I do not buy. I already have a lot.

This is why I tend to get interested when someone produces something new... or at least, something that is not market saturated (I guess I can hardly regard the Ice Age as a recent development). I was one of those kids who not only loved dinosaurs, I loved megafauna as well. All the weirdo elephants! Shaggy rhinos! Horned gophers! Wowsers!

...and for some reason, I can go out right now, within thirty miles of my house, and buy a dozen different dragons... but not a single 28mm dinohyus or elasmotherium?

• Like 8
  • 2 months later...
Hello All:

We have elected to resculpt the miniatures created in sculpy in Castilene, in order to save steps in creating masters that would need repair, and recasting. Castilene is the standard medium that is used the world over for toy prototyping. The sculpy route was chosen early on based on poor advice. We have corrected the path, at significant personal expense, because we are not going to produce and deliver inferior product.

Castilene has been ordered. We have spoken, at length to our casting consultant and to the manufacturer of Castilene.

The amount of time required (40-60 hours) for casting has not changed. The time required to resculpt will be around the same amount of time. So: most importantly-  we are still on schedule.

Castilene sculpts will be posted as they are completed. 

So: as the saying goes we request that everyone stay calm and carry on. We are making these decisions for the betterment of the project and the end result of same.

Regards,

Lars

So, yeah, I'm not entirely sure what to make of this--I mean, quality control is super, but this seems awfully late in the game for what sounds like a major overhaul--but I really get the feeling my $25 lark on this one will not pan out very well.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 4

I also pledged to support the company because the concepts were rare and cool.

The last update sounds like the voice of experience... and frustration. Really sounds like they tried one and it didn't work like whoever advised them told them it would. Ouch! I just hope they will decide that quality is more important than timeliness, regardless of what some backers are yelling about.

Considering the amount of time I have waited for companies like CSM and Palladium and CMoN I'll consider it a win if I get good quality minis by Christmas :)

• Like 3

I don't know enough about sculpting to judge this change. Castilene, it's mentioned as the gold standard in the production of toy prototypes. Is it used by other miniature companies?

A concern would be if they now have to redo all the sculpts on the main page that looked decently good (mammoth, cave lion, bird), but the sculptor they now are using is the one that's done their later work (sea bishop).

• Like 2

This again speaks to their overconfidence, in my opinion. Their original sculpts were in Sculpey, based on what they claim was "poor advice." First of all, to my knowledge, lots of sculptors and casters work with Sculpey, so I'm curious about that claim. Regardless, it seems like bad news that they just now discovered that this medium wasn't suitable for their needs--why didn't they do that research ahead of time?

They also still don't seem to be sure what their products are--Sculpey is commonly used because it holds the fine details needed for boutique miniatures, which they claim they are making. However, Castilene is apparently commonly used in toy prototyping, and I've never heard of a professional mini sculptor using it. Is this just another case of conflating toys and minis, or have they gone back to making children's toys, which they have periodically claimed these were? Is the process they describe as "toy prototyping" equivalent to mini sculpting? I wouldn't think so, but is that just unfamiliarity with the terminology on either of our parts?

Lastly, how can they possibly still be on schedule? It took them a month at least to build up that collection of (pretty quality) Sculpey minis--can they afford to lose that much time in their production schedule, will they have more sculptors working on them, or will they be rushing the new minis?

Frankly, at this point, I will be annoyed if everything works out perfectly for them. I'll feel bad for the backers if it doesn't, but it would frustrate me to no end if their behavior, both here and in their own comment section, was rewarded.

• Like 9

I agree on your points, Slendertroll. I'm not sure about Sculpey being a miniature medium, i think I heard somewhere it wasn't suitable for miniature making long before this KS ever started, back when I was still looking into sculpting things myself. But i can't find the post i'm vaguely remembering. But they did insist on calling them 'toys' numerous times *Shrug* Honestly I'll be a bit annoyed if it all goes perfectly as well, for the same reasons you stated

• Like 2

Much of the thread in question was nuked by the mods due to the rising heat in the discussion, particularly where their company rep was involved.

The gent in question seemed quite certain that nothing could go wrong with their kickstarter.

I do hope this is the only hitch they encounter.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 5

I agree on your points, Slendertroll. I'm not sure about Sculpey being a miniature medium, i think I heard somewhere it wasn't suitable for miniature making long before this KS ever started, back when I was still looking into sculpting things myself. But i can't find the post i'm vaguely remembering. But they did insist on calling them 'toys' numerous times *Shrug* Honestly I'll be a bit annoyed if it all goes perfectly as well, for the same reasons you stated

Its fine if you master in resin.  Just want to make sure you are using sulfer free materials.

• Like 1

I don't know enough about sculpting to judge this change. Castilene, it's mentioned as the gold standard in the production of toy prototypes. Is it used by other miniature companies?

Castilene's more of a wax - it needs a very different sculpting process to what most mini sculptors use. The only guys I know using it work at 1/6th scale and larger. I don't know of any minis companies using it. It's ideal for toy work, as it can be given a very high gloss finish, and produce extremely high tolerance joints, for example.

This again speaks to their overconfidence, in my opinion. Their original sculpts were in Sculpey, based on what they claim was "poor advice." First of all, to my knowledge, lots of sculptors and casters work with Sculpey, so I'm curious about that claim.

I agree on your points, Slendertroll. I'm not sure about Sculpey being a miniature medium, i think I heard somewhere it wasn't suitable for miniature making long before this KS ever started, back when I was still looking into sculpting things myself.

Sculpey's a ploymer clay, and lots of sculptors use polymer clays. Not all use Sculpey though. I think Tre uses Cernit, IIRC?

But I've used both regular Sculpey and Firm Grey Sculpey in the past, for stuff similar in size to the models in this KS, so it would have worked - these 3 were done in Sculpey, for instance:

giganotosaurus383.jpg

arab-foal-383.jpg

tempest383.jpg

In short, if their sculptors couldn't produce the goods in Sculpey, switching to Castilene won't make any difference. In fact, given the steep learning curve of waxes, it might just make the sculpting worse... 

• Like 13