ADW Ice Age Miniatures Kickstarter

pcktlnt

Too late for me I'm afraid, at least for the ice age set. The 5 I pledged for the other I'm not to worried about. Fortunately, I'm in that happy spot between "successful in business" and "have kids in college" so I can afford the little mistakes.

And because no one else has said it in response to the latest announcement:

"Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked"

- Monty Python

• Like 11

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too late for me I'm afraid, at least for the ice age set. The 5 I pledged for the other I'm not to worried about. Fortunately, I'm in that happy spot between "successful in business" and "have kids in college" so I can afford the little mistakes.

"Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked"

- Monty Python

Lol, I actually posted that on the Ice Age page about 5 minutes after the update.  It was my first thought, and I laughed at the update.  This is nearly gone full circle back into "amusing".

I'm in the same boat as you, though:  No chargeback.  First really failed KS I've backed; can see the rancor others express first hand, and it sucks, to be so excited and then see it fail so hard. 

• Like 2

- Monty Python

Lol, I actually posted that on the Ice Age page about 5 minutes after the update.  It was my first thought, and I laughed at the update.  This is nearly gone full circle back into "amusing".

I'm in the same boat as you, though:  No chargeback.  First really failed KS I've backed; can see the rancor others express first hand, and it sucks, to be so excited and then see it fail so hard.

It is a rotten position to be in, and I am sorry.

I don't think that this quite counts as a failed Kickstarter, though. There's mounting evidence that the creators had no intention (or, in the most charitable interpretation possible, no understanding or methodology) of fulfilling it. I am not sure that something that was smoke and illusion right from the start can be considered to have failed the way an honest project that falls through fails.

• Like 3

Too

It is a rotten position to be in, and I am sorry.

I don't think that this quite counts as a failed Kickstarter, though. There's mounting evidence that the creators had no intention (or, in the most charitable interpretation possible, no understanding or methodology) of fulfilling it. I am not sure that something that was smoke and illusion right from the start can be considered to have failed the way an honest project that falls through fails.

I would say it depends on your perspective. From my perspective, it's exactly the same: I lost money, something I supported and believed in failed, and I didn't get my merchandise.

Probably somewhat different perspective from the side of the artists that got nothing for their work though..?

(Repeat of a post from the other thread because it's pertinent here too)

Aha.

Apparently at least some credit card chargebacks are only temporary, giving the merchant time to dispute the charge.

If the project looks all nice and respectable and under new management, the credit card companies might not allow the chargebacks.

Why does this feel similar to something they have done before?

Same reason some backers think KS is a store. If you don't do your research, you'll eventually lose your money on a project. Doesn't matter if it's a scam or incompetence. 

One of the IAM backers looked up Susan. Notice Quebec here. : http://www.weaverchestertweed.com/press100113.html

To follow up on Pingo's post, Defiance Games is a textbook case of stalling your creditors with "leadership change":

http://sining83.blogspot.com/2013/10/defiance-games-kickstarter.html

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/558217.page

Wouldn't be surprised if this "update" was part of a merchant's response in a CC dispute. Up Front did something similar with the CC chargebacks.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

I am wondering. There seems to be a patterrn of attempting back room secret intimidation, trying to pick off and stifle voices one by one.

When there are enough chargebacks, will the banks / cc companies themselves try to track down these people? Because I imagine the Bank of America has more resources to pursue them and are less likely to be impressed by a rude email with pseudo-legalese threats than a lone person might be.

• Like 3

Seems? There is. Whoever's behind ADW threatened legal action against Hearth Stone, has been using Google Earth to find backer's addresses, called one of them the cousin of he Unibomber or something, etc. etc.

IANACCC :) but ADW only pulled in 26K from backers and, spread among whatever many credit card companies (who still have some chargebacks under probation), and assuming not all backers filed for a refund, the amount of money each CC company is pursuing isn't very much for the amount of work they would have to do to find these people and collect from them. I'm guessing none of the backers are lawyers, because it's not difficult to file legal action against this party, as in the Hansfree KS, not that they would get the money. Also, I doubt any of the backers have ties to the media, because I think that's what what started the Washington DA going against that Bicycle KS creator.

Look for the inconsistencies, people. If a creator behaves in some sort of odd manner (and, in my opinion, unprofessional or unethical), don't pledge, and start your research. Google is not difficult to use, and discussion forums are not hard to find. If you don't want to do the work, it's your own fault, and don't back the KS. Remember, if you don't back one must-have can't-miss-it once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity will-not-see-an-offer-like-this-again you'd-be-crazy-to-skip-out-on-this-one wake-up-the-kids-and-neighbors you-don't-need-to-make-that-car-or-mortgage-payment KS, just wait a few weeks for the next one.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 3

I also noted this particular turn of phrase from the 'change of staff' update (emphasis mine):

As such, I am removing myself from ADWGAMES and her KS Campaigns.

Seems to me to be a bit of a Freudian slip that ADW is really just one person (with Lars/Laurence/Scott/next-red-shirt as a second accomplice perhaps).

I note from others who have posted about their difficulties with Evergreen entertainment et. al., that they welcomed their lawyers to contact them. Actually they had been looking for a way to serve them legal process, so they greatly appreciated if Evergreen's lawyers would contact them.

• Like 4

So, I have no horse in this fight.

But I do have a question: do cc chargebacks actually reach a KS creator? The charges are made by KS/Amazon, aren't they? At which point ks sends a lump sum to the project? Obviously my understanding of the process is rudimentary at best, but it seems like a creator like ADW has many layers of protection for their funds.