ADW Ice Age Miniatures Kickstarter

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I GOT IT! I got my chargeback. It's not the end of the line for me - I still plan on dogging these guy's footsteps - but it's a real weight off my back as a broke college student to have this refunded

I just confirmed with my credit card that Kickstarter/Amazon/ADW did not dispute the back charge on my $155 pledged to the Ice Age Mammals project within the time provided for a merchant to do so, so

ladystorm has altered the thread.  Pray she does not alter it further.

So the latest topic of conversation on the kickstarters comments page is not about the scale of the minis or the material they'll be made from or even who the manufacturer might be.

Nope, the topic is about making sure the minis will come in pretty boxes.

Face meet Palm.

Head meet Desk.

• Like 2

They did say their background is in marketing.

Yet I wonder if Harvard Business School really taught her it's a great idea to contradict herrself at almost much every turn...

It's a shame, too, because the art and sculpts suggest this could potentially be a pretty fun, fairly kids-friendly game. Which would be totally worth backing. If the campaigns (including their cancelled KS one for a strictly 15mm game) suggested they actually have a plan, rather than merely ideas.

• Like 5

I'll probably pledge 30$. I like the Unitatherium and the Elasmotherium, and probably the Cave Bear, and there are enough stretch goals that I'll risk it. I see this as a big risk, big reward project - I'm not comfortable risking more, but at least it'll give me something to kvetch about if it fails.

Of course, this is all contingent on me seeing a plan come together. If not, I'll skip this.

I do like the look of the mammoth, though! I feel like these might look cartoony in sculpt but better IRL, once painted - to be fair, most prehistoric animals were pretty wonky...

• Like 1

yea i'm still keeping an eye on it to see where it goes

I do kind of wish they'd finish the core 8 models before sculpting anymore add ons though =( right now they only have the mammoth sculpted of the 8

Edited by ladystorm
Many Posts past this one removed
  • Like 1

Hi Pingo:

Scott, Writer for ADW, here.

As per the KS text, the lion mini was photographed pre-milliput, and pre-final detailing.

The lion looks cartoony but not too bad.  Details on the mane look a little sloppy.  Whoever they have doing the physical sculpting is doing a better job than the 3D renders.

Hi Siri:

Deo is being worked on at the moment. You should see him and the Dinohyus by Sunday.

yea i'm still keeping an eye on it to see where it goes

I do kind of wish they'd finish the core 8 models before sculpting anymore add ons though =( right now they only have the mammoth sculpted of the 8

They did say their background is in marketing.

Yet I wonder if Harvard Business School really taught her it's a great idea to contradict herrself at almost much every turn...

It's a shame, too, because the art and sculpts suggest this could potentially be a pretty fun, fairly kids-friendly game. Which would be totally worth backing. If the campaigns (including their cancelled KS one for a strictly 15mm game) suggested they actually have a plan, rather than merely ideas.

Hi Pingo:

Making adjustments to the marketplace is basic learning, not contradicting. And, ad hominum remarks do not help the development process.

The mini KS tht is currently running is very cut and dry. No rules to sweat over. We axed the 3D guys when their ideas did not gel with the community at large. We never said that eerything we produce would be 15mm. This is part of the IP, not the game.

The cancelled KS is relaunching, with Andrea Sfiligoi writing the revised rule system with our team. So, you are in good hands.

Best

Scott

So the latest topic of conversation on the kickstarters comments page is not about the scale of the minis or the material they'll be made from or even who the manufacturer might be.

Nope, the topic is about making sure the minis will come in pretty boxes.

Face meet Palm.

Head meet Desk.

Hey Darsc:

We did, in fact, state that the minis are (as per everything on the KS page, and the lead image for the KS states) 28mm. And, they will be resin.

Best

Scott

I think I answered this one.

This KS is for minis. Not the game.

So, your post does not apply?

I love this...

"Dina Andrews Walker on May 30

Doggerland will NEVER be a28mm game. How could we put the amazing terrain on a normal-sized dining room table with 28mm?"

they then do the Ice Age KS...

"This KS will produce a set of Hand-Sculpted Ice Age Mammal minis for collectors, dungeon-crawling, RPGs and 28mm tabletop wargames....And, they are 28mm!!"

Oh!!! And these two statements are right on the front page...

"Depending on the level of funding that the project reaches, the miniatures will either be cast in a durable urethane resin or white pewter metal.

The mammals will be sculpted on a 28 millimeter heroic scale and fit with almost all tabletop wargaming and RPG miniatures. Miniatures will be cast in resin."

Seems like a lot of back and forth on the decision making.

Potentially good news! They have announced they're dropping the 3D models and renders and having all the minis hand sculpted. I think that will greatly improve the quality. The lion and mammoth that are done already look pretty good, so I'm hopeful the rest will look fine too. I'm tentatively in, to keep an eye on it =3

That's only good news if they plan on killing the current kickstarter and recalculate the time, costs, and logistics required for designing and manufacturing these by hand.

Otherwise I'd be very leery of the project creators knowing what they're in for and being able to make enough to cover their costs or to make their shipping estimates.

Yellow flag lowered. Red flag raised.

We have 

I noticed that they on their website have previews of a couple of hexagonal battle maps (for their skirmish game, I presume), which are perfectly symmetrical, both north-to-south and east-to-west (to me, this makes the maps look pretty ridiculous). So maybe they have a general thing for doing half the work, or actually just a fourth when it comes to the maps, and then creating a mirror copy?

You will notice a 5 foot by five foot map on the mini KS that will answer this concern.

I was the same way with Oathsworn. I remember being very dubious about their first project, but their replies convinced me otherwise, and boy am I glad they did.

Cheers Suden! To be fair, I was dubious about our first project as well... lots of sleepless nights!

Anyway, back to the thread - Just to complicate things further on the 15mm/28mm question, Andrea Sfiligoi the rules writer said this yesterday:

an update on the ice age mammals kickstarter: all the figures will be hand-sculpted (they added a work in progress pic of the cave lion sculpt).

I will be writing the Doggerland skirmish rules, based on Song of Blades and Heroes, for the company doing this kickstarter (http://www.adwgames.com/). The rules will come with a set of 15mm miniatures (they went for 15mm because they plan to produce some massive monsters and scenery, you can see a WIP castle on their site, and there was a fort pic on The Miniatures page a while ago). The setting is very intriguing – not your usual Tolkien derivative – and this group of creators has been developing it for over 25 years.

If you are interested in the massive ice age animals, please give this Kickstarter a look. They are roughly midway to being funded and there are still 17 days to go. Thanks!

Andrea

So, is it 28mm or 15mm? Or both? Still not sure...

Our game designer Andrea Sfiligoi has chosen to create a set of rules that are scale agnostic- i.e., that can be played with 28mm or 15mm

Since we are creating terrain in 15mm, we are committed to 15mm for the game. The minis being offered are not the game. And, 2, if you want to play Doggerland with 28mm, we would be foolish to tell you that you can not. This is Andrea's reasoning, and I think it makes sense.