I had a idea to mentally walk through the center of the hunting town and come up with branches of stories for each and every person that they pass by and try and tie them in later, etc. 

Good, bad, ugly, ideas?

I'd give each one just one little blurb in case the characters run into them and ask questions, but I wouldn't get too in-depth because they may not use very many and this could take a very long time for you to do. They are NPC's and you don't need to go that in-depth with these kinds who won't play a big role in your campaign. The only ones I flesh out like that are the main NPC's they are going to meet so that I have my own notes and background on how I want him to be played when he meets the PC's.

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A DM should be like that kid who spends hours and hours building a really cool fort for his army men out of sticks and dirt, and then invites his friends over to help him destroy it. ::D:

That is a wonderful description. I think I shall plan for that as well! 

I had a idea to mentally walk through the center of the hunting town and come up with branches of stories for each and every person that they pass by and try and tie them in later, etc. 

Good, bad, ugly, ideas?

Do a few (maybe 3 or 4) and assign them to some of thepeople that the players actually decide to interact with when that happens. Never tell the players that you have done this.

Unless you just really like building this complete society where 99% of the stories will live only in your head*, there's not much point in doing all that work. Instead, give the illusion of having done all that work.

* NTTAWWT. Just don't expect much to be used by the players.

• Like 3

Question for you all: What is a good way to keep track of counters?

• Meaning: The hero hit the enemy with Fire damage: does 1damage per round for 3 rounds.
    • Is that tracked per the entire round, until the round gets back to the caster, or when the round gets back to the one it was "casted" on(the enemy)?

If you're doing alpha or beta testing for a new RPG, I think this is probably the wrong place to ask rules questions.  :blink:

That said, I mark perceivable status (invisibility, carrying a light, flying, on fire, whatever) using the Alea Tools magnetic markers. And as a GM, I track durations on a Paizo Pathfinder Combat Pad. As a player, I track my own durations (usually) using dice that I rotate to the side with the right number of rounds remaining.

If you're doing alpha or beta testing for a new RPG, I think this is probably the wrong place to ask rules questions.  :blink:

Ya, the reason I ask was the DM was using one way and having trouble keeping track of it. I think that has to do with his personality than anything. In an effort to improve them game I want to find a good/best way to track those things. 

Thank you so much for the info. I will look those things up. 

That said, I mark perceivable status (invisibility, carrying a light, flying, on fire, whatever) using the Alea Tools magnetic markers. And as a GM, I track durations on a Paizo Pathfinder Combat Pad. As a player, I track my own durations (usually) using dice that I rotate to the side with the right number of rounds remaining.

WOW! THank you! Just looked those up!  THAT IS PURE GENIUS! 

The FATE RPG book has a really good and short introduction to being a DM that is completely platform independent. One thing that has really changed how I view DMing is that characters should only be allowed to fail if that is an interesting result. For instance, If the players make a roll to find someone who knows something, failure shouldn't leave them sitting around going "Uhh, now what?". It should instead lead to some complication that eventually leads them to what they need along a different path.

• Like 2

Agreed with Both Products as excellent tools for the purpose of tracking.

This thread is full of awsome, experienced DM's. Also this:

I find it useful to have a list of names appropriate to the feel of the campaign. You don't have to assign them to anyone, but there's always someone who wants to talk to the orphans playing in the street, or question the guard, or whatever, and naming them all "Bob" won't add to the verisimilitude.

:;):

This is bloody brilliant advice, and I don't know why I never thought of it.

Lastly, one thing I will add to NPC creation: your players will choose who they like, who they think is funny, and who they are intimidated by. Introduce easy, quick NPC's, and keep the ones the players seem to gravitate toward in your back pocket. These get a little backstory in my games, because you never know who the players will dirk in the face with great prejudice.

• Like 1

Ok I wanted to bring this back up. I never got to DM as the game creator scrapped the project and restarted it but there are still GREAT points of information here.

Update: I am now playing DnD 5e for the first time, it has been great to actually play the game! Although I am not DM'ing right now, the new groups DM is new to DM'ing as well and I am sending him the link to this thread. I am still planning to DM a Star Wars based table top in the future...

I was wondering if anyone had any more information or links off the top of their head related not only with DM'ing but also role-playing. I'm trying to be a better role-player as well. I'm looking up as much information as I can to play the game better. 

Additionally, I want to link on here another thread I started about Table Top RPG Preferences as it contains some very helpful information when choosing a game to play. 

Again, thank you everyone!

• Like 1