I keep encountering forum malfunctions.  Here are two examples:

1) Empty Notifications

Most of the time, my notifications menu is empty.  When I click it, I get this:

blank-notifications.png

I checked the console log, and it looks like the JSON response that's supposed to populate that with a list of recent likes and such is coming back as {"html":null} rather than containing the HTML for recent notifications.

2) Truncated Forum Lists

As of this writing, the Sculpting sub-forum has 764 topics.  But only the first 20 load for me.  When I click the "Load more topics" link, it comes back and says "No more topics".  It makes it hard to browse.

For the record, I'm on Firefox 30.0 with a bazillion extensions.  But I've duplicated the problems in Chrome (no extensions), and in a new, blank Firefox profile (no extensions).

Is there anything to be done about this?  Is it a known issue?

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the funky notify thing happens to me with firefox on occasion.  I find if I close my window, clear cookies, etc and re-sign in it fixes itself.  alternatively you can open the notifications in a new window.

for the second- go to the foum fliter and select show all and the old ones will load. edit- it's under custom heading, timeframe subheading on the little red bar above the first topic thread.

Edited by Corporea

That's also happened to me from time to time as well (the no notifications thing). Another workaround that I have used with 100% success is to click my profile name in the top right corner of the page -> My Settings, then click My Notifications in the list on the left. I actually use this feature all the time, it's nice because then you can see all of your notifications, and not just the most recent 10. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Oh ho!  That's interesting.

Yes, I see -- he has an O with an umlaut, but it's encoded in ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8.  Hrm.  The HTTP headers are correct (UTF-8), and the META tag has the correct character set as well.

I see three other points where it might fail:

1. the table definition doesn't have the right character set;
  2. the connection to the database is set to the wrong character set;
  3. Patrick's entry in the table contains historical data that was not correctly converted.

Let's test.  If it's 1 or 2, then putting in a bunch of UTF-8 characters should make it choke.  Here's a snippet from the highest-rated answer to the classic question RegEx match open tags except XHTML self-contained tags on StackOverflow:

"If you parse HTML with regex you are giving in to Them and their blasphemous ways which doom us all to inhuman toil for the One whose Name cannot be expressed in the Basic Multilingual Plane, he comes. HTML-plus-regexp will liquify the n​erves of the sentient whilst you observe, your psyche withering in the onslaught of horror. Rege̿̔̉x-based HTML parsers are the cancer that is killing StackOverflow it is too late it is too late we cannot be saved the trangession of a chiÍ¡ld ensures regex will consume all living tissue (except for HTML which it cannot, as previously prophesied) dear lord help us how can anyone survive this scourge using regex to parse HTML has doomed humanity to an eternity of dread torture and security holes using regex as a tool to process HTML establishes a breach between this world and the dread realm of c͒ͪo͛ͫrrupt entities (like SGML entities, but more corrupt) a mere glimpse of the world of reg​ex parsers for HTML will ins​tantly transport a programmer's consciousness into a world of ceaseless screaming, he comes, the pestilent slithy regex-infection wil​l devour your HT​ML parser, application and existence for all time like Visual Basic only worse he comes he comes do not fi​ght he comÌ¡e̶s, Ì•h̵i​s un̨hoÍžly radianÍceÍ destroÒ‰ying all enliÌÍ„Ì‚Í„ghtenment, HTML tags leaÍ ki̧n͘g fr̶ǫm Ì¡yo​͟ur eyeÍ¢s̸ Ì›lÌ•ikÍe liq​uid pain, the song of re̸gular exp​ression parsing will exti​nguish the voices of mor​tal man from the sp​here I can see it can you see ̲͚̖͔̙iÌ‚ÍÌ©tÌ̲͎̩̱͔̋̀ it is beautiful t​he final snuffing of the lie​s of Man ALL IS LOSÌÌ͖̩͇̗̪̈́T ALL I​S LOST the ponÌ·y he comes he c̶̮omes he comes the ich​or permeates all MY FACE MY FACE áµ’h god no NO NOO̼O​O NΘ stop the an​*̶͑̾̾​̅ͫÍ̙̤g͇̫͛͆̾ͫ̑͆lÌ͖͉̗̩̳̟ͫͥͨeÌ…Ì s ÍŽa̧͈͖r̽̾̈́͒͑e n​ot rè̑ͧ̌aͨl̘̃ͤ͂̾̆ÌÌ™ ZAÍ Ì¡ÍŠÍLGÎŒ ISͮ̂҉̯͈͕̹̘̱ TO͇̹̺ͅÆ̴ȳ̳ TH̘Ë͖́̉ Í P̯ÍÌ­O̚​NÌYÌ¡ H̸̡̪̯ͨ͊̽̅̾̎E̾͛ͪ̈́̀Ì̧̬̩͘ ̶̧̨̱̹̭̯ͧ̾ͬCÍ­Ì̷̙̲ͥͮ͟ÌÍ–OÍ®Í̮̪ÌÍM̲̖͊̒ͪͩͬ̚̚͜EÌ‘Í©ÍŒÍ̴̟̟͙̞S̨̥̫͎̭ͯ̿̔̀ͅ".

Gee, it handled that pretty well.  So I'm guessing the problem is that Patrick's last name didn't get properly converted from the old character set, and it could be fixed with a SQL UPDATE command replacing the existing data with correctly formatted UTF-8 data.

• Like 7

Let's test.  If it's 1 or 2, then putting in a bunch of UTF-8 characters should make it choke.  Here's a snippet from the highest-rated answer to the classic question RegEx match open tags except XHTML self-contained tags on StackOverflow:

So very sad I missed out on that in the shape of a unicorn on t-shirts :(...that said, whatever you do, don't try to parse HTML with regex....unless you *like* Ragnarok

At the top of the forum page (where it lists the topics), there should be a red bar:
Recently Updated    Start Date    Most Replies    Most Viewed    Custom

Click on Custom and it should give you some options. For Timeframe, select "Show all".

• Like 3