Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Aard_Rinn

The Blue and Distant Sky

Recommended Posts

Sim keeps his eyes on the street glancing at the van still. He hated vans ever since his childhood. Ever since the day that turned his life around forever...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max

 

"380 days, hmm?" The woman puffs a little air. "Impressive. So you guys are feeling the squeeze too, huh? It's been harder to get... well, a lot of things, lately. Not food -" she says, hurridly, as if to reassure you, "- but plenty of supplies are starting to dry up. Foil, for example - I've heard they're trying to limit the supply, keep people from getting ahold of it to make chaff. Same with all sorts of stuff - Vic over here's a wireman, says that they're being way tighter with fibreglass cable than usual..." The man turns at the sound of his name, waving before going back to his discussion about sports. "Don't know how they think putting tighter controls on us legitimate buyers is going to help - you can get whatever you want from the black market anyways, everyone knows that... And to limit medical supplies is ridiculous. How long do you think it'll be 'till there's riots?"

 

The two men at the bar glance over and cross themselves at her words. 'Vic' turns to you and pulls his pant leg up, over his knee - you can see that there are stitch scars all across the kneecap, and it bulges oddly, as if broken and then wired back into place. "I was in the Coke Riots, three years back. Fell down and got my leg stomped on by a bear of a man. Don't speak of such things, please, Laakiim; I could die happy if I never saw another riot."

 

"Fair enough," the woman, Laakiim, shrugs. "But you know it's coming..."

 

"Yes, but it's not here yet," says the other man, tone a little frustrated. "So can we not?"

 

Laakiim shrugs, but falls silent. After a few quiet moments, the men turn back to their talk, and Laakiim takes a long sip from her drink.

 

[the Coke Riots - the Coke Riots occurred about three years before the present date, in-game. The Coke referred to is coke coal. In 380, workers at the Avon-York Coal-Coke plant went on strike to protest terrible working conditions that had lead to a string of worker deaths. After a few months of failed negotiations, mercenaries were hired to break the strike and re-open the plant, and several dozen workers were killed, although the plant did reopen.

 

Three months later, an employee by the name of Zim Gantz brought a bomb into the facility, killing himself in the initial blast and 21 people in the ensuing collapse. A group of 9 "collaborates" were arrested and charged with assisting in the destruction, mostly local malcontents and ringleaders of the original strike, but also including two of Gantz's sons, aged 14 and 12. There trials were widely publicized and protested, and after their execution, the Undercity dissolved into riots that resulted in the destruction of two other Avon-York facilities and several hundred deaths.]

 

 

Jonas

You fiddle with the scanner, recalibrating it carefully until finally, you manage to get through the encription on the line. The reception from inside the kitchen is terrible - all the metal and electronics, combined with the heavy concrete building, is enough to dissolve most radio into a patchy mess, but you can make out the voices speaking alright, if you hold your arm perfectly still...

 

"to terran one, i think that we've got -----------kzchtzk- - - - - -blip....... eat, think that this is it. Do you want to clear the map, or just take out the . . vwertp***sklatch;;;- - - erran two, do not clear, repeat: do not clear. In and out; no one will talk. Let the civvies veep veep veep veep twergle."

 

 

Sim

flashback: You are twelve, sitting in a bar with your father and older brother. They are playing cards, playing and winning, and you're cheering them on, watching as they take one hand after the next. Your father cheats at many things, but never at cards - he is a lucky man, and he swears his luck will leave him if he cheats on her, just like your mother did. You were too young to remember when she left, so the joke lacks burn, but it still hurts a little when he says it...

 

The black van exploding through the window tears you from your thoughts. It slams into your father's table, cards and dice spilling everywhere, but your brother and father dive clear before they can be crushed, guns already freed from their holsters. Their opponents are not so lucky - they don't even get to scream.

 

The woman who steps out of the car is tall, muscular and deadly-looking - built like a Mizawaki bike, she looks like a. cagefighter. The scars on her face and neck only add to that impression - this is not a beautiful woman, but a hunter, mangy and looking forward to the next kill...

 

Your father doesn't wait for her to speak before he starts firing, your brother following only moments later. The woman doesn't flinch, though, the bullets spattering against the car on either side of her, a network of cracks lancing across one window as the car takes damage. One bullet hits her, but she only sways backwards for a moment, the force of the hit dispelling harmlessly across her bulletproof vest. Your father and brother scramble backwards as they fire, making a break for the door... they don't have time to make it out before the woman kills them, a bullet to each of their heads all it takes to end their lives.

 

She gets back into the van, and it reverses, pulling out into the street before driving down the road and vanishing into the orange light of the city. The bar is silent, shellshocked, and it's only when everyone else is gone and you've been dropped off at home by a sympathetic police officer that you realize that the woman never said a word.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dex, ears perk up when he hears Laakiim mention the black market and what is in low supply now.  He makes a mental note to check his sources.

 

At the mention of the Coke Riots, he gets introspective,  It was during that period that things went to hell, and he lost most of his friends.  He absent-mindedly rubs one of his tatoos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sim shakes inwardly when he recalls the face of that, Woman... He hadn't been able to find anything out about her yet, too busy running and hiding from his "employers"

 

He looks down at his now empty cup and thinks about getting a refill.

 

He looks back up at the van instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"With the tightening on supplies and the instigation from the 'freedom fighters', who's to say. Could be tomorrow, next week, next month, or the next minute." Max yawns as she raises her arms into the air to stretch, the weariness of the recent surgery returning to her. After, she adjusts straps on the small flat bag strapped to her back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dex

Attentiveness:

Roll(1d20)+4:
3,+4
Total:7 :(

 

As your thoughts turn to potential sources for the now-controlled goods, you finish your meal. You don't notice anything strange going on; beyond the people at the bar's disscussion, and the lone man staring stormily at the window, the bar seems mostly quiet.

 

 

 

Max

 

Laakiim is quiet for a moment. "Yeah," she says, finally. "I just hope... people getting caught in the crossfire, you know? I understand why people are fighting, why they're angry, I just hope they can keep innocents out of the middle."

 

 

Sim

 

As you continue to watch the car, it pulls into reverse and out of sight; you can't tell how far it's gone or if it's really left, however.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Okay, so: fish, pckt, and Ludo - you guys get to react after and as the shots are fired;w hether that's to dive away, or whatever, you can act as it happens and then in the aftermath. Girot, Dilv, you and your terrible rolls can only react after they've started spewing bullets everywhere. Just tell me what you do when stuff goes down; this is mostly just an action sequence, not a fight.

 

I've worked on this for the past few hours - I can't get it quite right, though; one of the limits of PBP. Just bear with; this is ultimately just set-up, so hold on tight - it might be bumpy.

 

 

Glass explodes, and screaming, as the SUV rams through the shop window. The two men who leap out the back are holding long guns, rifles, and they begin shooting wildly around the room - a bullet slams into Laakim, and she collapses behind the counter. Another bursts across the back of 'Vic''s head, and he falls to the ground, unmoving. His companion, shellshocked for a moment, rises to his feet with a roar, three-hundred pounds of enraged ironworker barreling towards the black-helmeted soldiers before he, too, is felled by a bullet.

 

The door to the kitchens swings open, and a man with a knife steps out, evaluating the situation for a brief moment before charging, knife flying from his fingers to slice across the shoulder of one of the gunmen. The armored man curses, but rather than falter, pulls free from his vest a small metal canister - a grenade - and lobs it into the kitchen behind him. The cook spins, following it's path, and in his indecision, he too is mowed down, mere seconds before a fireball engulfs the kitchen.

 

The gunmen still for a moment, seeming to discuss something silently, before leaping back into their van, which peals out into the night, leaving the slumped bodies of their victims and the sprays of shattered glass as testament to their assault.

 

Jonas:

You are in the kitchen, still fiddling with your phone, when you hear an eruption of glass from the front room, followed moments later by the sharp retort of bullets. Shep and Rucard's gazes snap to each other, eyes wide.

 

"I'll go," Shep grunts, and Rucard grabs you by the shoulders. The other man grabs his knife, barging out through the doors - and moments later, a sharp pinging noise rings through the kitchen.

 

"Shi-"

 

You don't have time to wriggle free as Rucard dives on top of you, his body shielding you from the red-hot fireball that was once your kitchen. By the time you can hear again, the sound of gunfire has faded, Rucard is slumped on top of you, unmoving, and all that you can hear is the faint crackle of your cellphone, screen now cracked and baked - "four out of five confirmed; one unconfirmed, kill likely... civilians unharmed -  - - - -- -  - vestsrh" it crackles out as the source of the signal leaves the area.

 

 

 

This is just a sort of... preliminary chain of events. Once you all tell me what you're doing during this, I'll revise it to take that into account and we can do things like damage rolls - for such a short, fast-paced set of events, turn-based combat just seemed sluggish...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max wheels about on the stool when the SUV crashes through the window. As the gunmen pop out and start shooting, Max drops to the floor and covers her head. The silence causes her to peek upward just in time to glimpse the men entering their vehicle and making a hasty retreat. She notes the color and the type of vehicle. Attentiveness: Roll 10 + 3 + 1 = 14

 

She starts to stand from her prone position and looks around to survey the damages and heading towards that require medical attention.

 

/ooc Is it a SUV or a van?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dex is completely surprised by the vehicle crashing through the front of the shop.  After a moment of shock, reflex sets in and he dives over the bar counter seeking shelter.  In the middle of his leap he makes a decision; run or fight?  Run.  Take cover and wait for a chance to get out.

 

Tucked up behind the bar, he pulls his Triple Savoy.  Of course, that doesn't mean that he might not have a choice but to fight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the van heading into the diner, Sim ducks away from  shattered glass and heads to the back of the van his walking stick at the ready. He goes after the first attacker coming out of the van striking out with his weighted cane. 

 

 

Did the van go backend first into the diner?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kodo Su is a hooded pile of rags that ghosts about rooftops of Undercity.  The few who’ve seen his face, and remembered it, really only see the excessive tattooing and piercings that further conceal the man beneath.  Only the staff and regulars of the Three Hairs have regular contact with the vagrant as he comes in daily for a coffee though he never stays to drink it.

 

Perched up on a gangway on the second story of the building across the street Kodo sips his breakfast in relative peace.  Some long dead part of him wondered if he should feel guilty for never staying to drink his coffee in the café with the others, but he was ever so superstitious about keeping his feet on the ground for too long.  The regulars and staff at the Three Hairs had always been polite and respectful, never once laughing or whispering to each other about his appearance.  That being said this was also the best time of day to come here.  The honest folk were at their “day jobs†while the denizens of Undercity were largely nocturnal and slept through the daylight hours (in spite of the lack of real daylight).

 

Kodo stops mid-sip and watches in cold calculation as an SUV drives through the front of the Three Hairs.  He listens as the occupants of the vehicle sweep the building with automatic weapons.  As the SUV backs up he drops his coffee and leaps towards it, aiming to land on the roof of the vehicle before it can peel out.

 

 

jumproll01_by_girot-d7rmjkz.jpg

 

 

White hot rage burns in his chest as he tumbles through the air towards his target.  Years of practice controlling his emotions has taught him much though.  That rage is taken and melted into a blade of focus with which he will cut down these men.  These fools who dared intrude on his turf.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're about to get some very unwanted customers! Jonas blurts as he suddenly darts between the two men. He throws open the door to the walk in cooler and dives behind a stack of food boxes as the van crashes into the diner. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sim:

You ready yourself beside the van, cane raised. As the door slides open, you whip your cane around to club the man across the head:

Roll(1d20)+0:
16,+0
Total:16

Roll(1d6)+0:
6,+0
Total:6


The man crumples as you strike him, and his partner swings his gun up, aiming squarely at your chest. However, the fallen man grunts something, muffled through the mask, and rather than shoot you, the gunman slams his own weapon into your face:


Roll(1d20)+0:
20,+0
Total:20 (Ouch!)

Roll(1d6)+0:
4,+0
Total:4 x2


The blow is hard enough to send you to your knees, white spots flashing before your eyes. Still, you seem to have bought the other people in the bar a little time - the woman behind the bar has pulled out a shotgun of some kind from beneath the counter, and the other guests are ducking for cover, save the two burly men at the bar, who have spun around, pistols in their hands.

Two men rush from the kitchen, knives in hand, and the gunman above you raises his weapon. The world around you dissolves into migraine and white flashes and bursts of automatic fire...



Max:

You drop to the floor as the car doors swing open. As you watch, the man seated beside the doors jumps one of the gunmen who leaps out, clocking him over the head before being clubbed himself by the heavy butt of the rifle.  The two men who sat beside you have risen, guns pulling free from their pockets; the one standing closest to you glances down briefly before returning his gaze to the men in the van.


"Just stay down, miss." His hands are steady, but there's a tense note in his voice. "You're going to be fine."


You hear the sound of the kitchen door slamming open as two men burst into the dining room, and then you can't hear much, the room dissolving into a stattaco of bullets.



Jonas:

As you dive into the freezer, you hear the glass explode in the dining room. From behind your boxes, you can't see much- only your cell phone gives you much clue as to what's going on as you hear the sounds of a growing confrontation.


<Don't shoot- - - - - - - shole! We're not zuhzuhzuhzuhzuhposted to shoot civili====*---*--->

<fshhhhhhhhhhhhk, man? He hit you prett0 0 0 0 0 0------------->


You hear the sound of the kitchen door slamming open, and a roar of fury that sounds a great deal like Rucard.

<kkkkine. Behind yo->

The radios cut out as you hear the sharp sound of gunfire, a flood of noise that drowns out anything else in the kitchen.




The still-standing gunman spins around as the two knife-wielding men rush from the kitchen, raising his weapon. Before they can move to evade, he squeezes the trigger - bullets spew forth from the muzzle of his weapon, ripping into the cook's flesh. They collapse to the floor, blood already staining the tiles.

The gunman spins on his heel, strafing the room. The men at the bar each squeeze off a few shots before the hail of lead cuts them down, but the small rounds barely stagger the man through his heavy vest.  Laakiim fires off a shot, the retort sharp against the grating noise of the automatic, but it spatters harmlessly into the gypsum ceiling tiles as a bullet bites into her shoulder. She collapses, and the man stops shooting.

Jonas:


The hail of bullets stops after what seems like minutes.

<'s five> crackles through your phone, though you can barely hear it through the ringing in your ears.

<--- go, th...\...\...\ number on my face>



The man stands for a moment, watching for any sign of resistance within the cafe. Then, almost in a single movement, he grabs his partner and slings him back into the van, slamming home the door even as the car peals out of the now-destroyed cafe.

Dex:


You dive behind the bar as the man sitting at the windowsill attacks the van's passengers, pulling out your Savoy as the bartender unhooks a shotgun from beneath the counter. She raises it to her shoulder as you hear the sounds of blows hitting flesh, a man's voice near the counter muttering "Just stay down, miss. You're going to be fine." At the words, the bartender glances down at you and gives you a nudge with the side of her foot -

As the kitchen doors burst open, and two burly men armed with knives charge out, running towards the van.

Bullets blast through them, the sharp ratatatatata of an automatic weapon, and one of the men lets out a roar of pain. The bullets carve across the room, and you can hear the man on the other side of the counter collapse moments before the bartender falls beside you, a bloody hole in her shoulder sending nearly black stains roiling across her orange shirt as the. You hear the sound of a car door slamming and an engine gunning before the canteena falls almost quiet; only the soft whimpers of the bartender now slumped across your legs are loud enough to be heard over the whining ring in your ears.



Max:

You rise slowly to your feet. Across the room, the man who attacked the gunman is slumped on the ground, groaning. There's a bloody weal on his forhead, and he looks to be in a fair bit of pain, but he seems not to be in any imminant danger...

The other men in the room seem to be worse off. The two nearest you, the men discussing kickball, are clearly dead - Vic's eyes stare dully out at you from his slack-jawed face, though his friend is mercifully turned away from you, neither chest rising. Even if they were alive, years working triage for Dr. Fisher tell you that they'd be too badly hurt to save, flesh carved open and bloody by their wounds. The two cooks seem in a similar state, slumped lifeless on the tile, knives fallen free from their slack-fingered hands. Aside from the bruised man, however, there is no one else moving in the room.

 

 

The looks not dissimular to this one:

 

Explorer%20Van.png

 

It has no plates, which is unusual - all vehicles are supposed to have a front and back plate.

 

 

 

Kodo:

 

You leap, flawlessly landing atop the van's flat roof. An easy jump, compared to some you've done, you think, as you slam down onto the roof. BANG! goes the thick aluminium of the car's chassis.

 

You hear a startled shout from within the car, and have only moments to react before a spray of bullets flies up at you through the car's roof. You manage to dive out of the way without getting shot, vaulting off of the roof to the side of the road, but the car, having successfully shaken you, drives off into the gloom of the midday streets, leaving you alone across the street from the shot-out cantina.


 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dex quickly lies the bartender down and applies pressure to the wound while making sure the shotgun is close at hand.

 

"I got a wounded one here!  That medtech still here?!"

 

He's not sure why he's not just running for the exit.  Maybe he's just not as hard bitten as he tells himself, but he'll stick around until the woman receives medical attention or succumbs to her wounds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kodo strolls over to the ventilated cafe and carefully takes stock of what's going on inside.  His rage threatens to return as he takes inventory of the dead.  Whomever these creeps where they were going to PAY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...