post-11942-0-31891600-1403987346_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-96416100-1403987304_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-42800700-1403987268_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-65802300-1403987223_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-92351100-1403987186_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-94429100-1403987146_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-23793700-1403987116_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-76882000-1403987081_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-51225200-1403987053_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-67419800-1403987024_thumb.jpg

MODEL...(MARGE OCEAN GOING SALVAGE TUG/SEAHAWK SALVAGE)...1/72nd scale...Lindberg model...98% major conversion & micro detail.

DATA...This posting is in reply to a (PM) request by member Willen...who in mid June, requested to see any of my previous work(s) and models from the 70's. This is one of the very few that my wife and I did not donate to varied clubs & museums...This is an old Lindberg (plastic model)...that I used the hull and bulkheads from and did a complete conversion, micro detail building and scratch building on to get the finished piece (as seen in the photos)...The work took over 300 hours and was built for the 1973 Western Regional of I.P.M.S.

MODEL AWARDS:

1.   1973      I.P.M.S. Western Regional (NV)                          1st Place (SPM3)

2.   1973      Griswalds Invitational Open (CA)                        1st Place (Ships Power)

3.   1974      I.P.M.S. Western Regional (NV)                          Masterpiece Single Winner

4.   1974      Anaheim Invitational Open (CA)                          1st Place (Ships Power)

5.   1974      Scottsdale Invitational (AZ)                                 1st Place (Ships Power) & (Best Of Ships Category)

6.   1975      Pebble Beach Art Fest Open (CA)                      1st Place (Ships/All Types) & (Best Of Category)

7.   1975      I.P.M.S. Grand Nationals (WI)                              1st Place (Ships Power) & (Best Of Category) & Grand Master Single Winner

8.   1976      Huntington Art Fest (CA)                                     1st Place (Ships) & Master Craftsman Award Winner

9.   1977      Brighton Invitational (UK)                                     1st Place (Ships) & Brighton Cup Winner (Best Foreign Entry)

10. 1993      Hobbytown Invitational (NV)                                  Champion Trophy Winner (Ships)

The model is retired...

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 18
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Retired with full honors!  Thanks for sharing what is obviously an important piece of work for you.  All I can say is "wow."

Thank you for your comment(s) and feedback...greatly appreciated! It is more of a nostalgic piece (as opposed to being important)...It was named after my wife (Marge) and I worked for Seahawk Salvage & Diving on two projects in Texas (a lifetime ago).

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 3

Always amazed at the amount of detail you put into these sort of reality based projects Catdancer.

This is the kind of thing I can just look over again and again finding new details each time.

Really liking the wheelhouse and the interior room with all the books and charts.

Outstanding work! ::):

• Like 2

Always amazed at the amount of detail you put into these sort of reality based projects Catdancer.

This is the kind of thing I can just look over again and again finding new details each time.

Really liking the wheelhouse and the interior room with all the books and charts.

Outstanding work! ::):

I thank you Darsc...as always, your comments and feedback are appreciated!...It was fun to dig out this (and another) piece...from the old glory days of major competition and look at them today...brought back a lot of fun memories...but alas, that was from yesteryear...when I was still a young man!

Paul (Catdancer)

post-11942-0-36478900-1403998355_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-88352700-1403998321_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-67998100-1403998288_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-39667800-1403998250_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-02461200-1403998213_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-51818200-1403998169_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-36216000-1403998139_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-53800400-1403998112_thumb.jpg

MODEL...(HMS BEAGLE/BRITISH COASTAL MINESWEEPER)...1/72nd scale...Lindberg model...98% major conversion & micro detailing.

DATA...This was again an old Lindberg plastic ship model that I used the hull and bulkheads of...but the rest is completely converted, micro deatailed and scratch built. The model depicts the ship after a makeshift rework of her metal hull which was redone with makeshift wood/lumber to protect her from the magnetic mines...I still have this model because when my son was old enough...he came to me and said..." Daddy, I love that ship model...can I have it when I grow up? "

Out of the (29) masterpiece models that I built during the years (1972 thru 1976)...these are the only 2 that I have left in my possession. This piece was built for the 1972 I.P.M.S. Western Regional.

I will not bore you with her awards list...as I did with the tugboat piece.

Paul (Catdancer)

Edited by catdancer
  • Like 8

That is a WONDERFUL creation...it's EVEN MORE impressive than the list of awards it has won. The level of detailing is INCREDIBLE; I can almost smell the salt air. VERY WELL DONE!

Thank you malefactus! As I told Darsc...these 2 ship models are from my old " glory " days. Today, I no longer compete as a serious modeler...I just dabble here and there...now and then! I still enjoy it and have fun while doing so!

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 1

Marge is beautiful, just stunning. The Beagle is a wonderful piece of work.

I love the well-worn, hard-working look of both of these boats. The details are fascinating, fun, and intelligent.

The awards are fully deserved; these are beautifully designed, marvelously realized boat models.

• Like 3

Marge is beautiful, just stunning. The Beagle is a wonderful piece of work.

I love the well-worn, hard-working look of both of these boats. The details are fascinating, fun, and intelligent.

The awards are fully deserved; these are beautifully designed, marvelously realized boat models.

Thank you Pingo...your comments and feedback are very much appreciated!

Niiiiice.  I bet you could make something special out of a 1/72 Revell HMCS Snowberry. 

I am familiar with the model...very nice...I never did any work with it but I have seen some very nice finished model pieces.

Edited by catdancer

Awesome work catdancer, and thanks for sharing! It is always great to see these models, and I was very curious to see your previous work. 

These are my favourite stuff you have posted by far. Love them!

• Like 2

Awesome work catdancer, and thanks for sharing! It is always great to see these models, and I was very curious to see your previous work. 

These are my favourite stuff you have posted by far. Love them!

Willen...thank you for your comment(s) and feedback. I am just sorry that I don't have other pieces to post from my old days...I am sure that you saw the past posting of the (POP DUNN SALVAGE & JUNK YARD)...It was fun for me to dig these two ships out of storage and see them again...as well as post them for you to see.

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 2