Sign in to follow this  
Aard_Rinn

The Blue and Distant Sky - OOC Thread

----------------------------------------------------------
INTRO

It's been 384 years since the world ended, 384 years since mankind set the world ablaze in hate and nuclear fire.

Millions died, in the first explosion, when the first bomb fell, and millions more in every explosion after. Millions more died in the first few years after the bombs fell, victims of poisoning or cancer. In the end, the world's population was devistated - only a few hundred million humans left alive of the more than eight billion from before the end.

Those survivors recovered, slow though that recovery may have been. Technology endured where living things had not - in the irradiated but otherwise unharmed areas between the blasts - and in time, new cities were built: The Great Walled Cities of Man, eight in all, one each in Australia, Africa, and Europe, one on Greenland and one in North America, and two in Asia - east and west. Trade was cut off, as was most communication, and the war ended - there was no one left to fight, in this new and silent world. War was too expensive for a race barely surviving, and no more bombs fell. The spaces between the cities, one forests and field turned to wastelands, were taken up and irrigated as farms to sustain the massive cities, worked by the machines that survived the end.

Norram is one of those cities.

Above lies the Plate - the Upmarket - a floating metropolis suspended on a bed of iron and concrete. Below, the Undercity - a ghetto of grease and rust; a slum which few will ever leave. Once, it was a beautiful place, as fine as the Upmarket, but time and poverty have rotted at it's heart. Once, it shone bright with lamps with the power of a second sun, but they've long since burned out, and now, only the bright lights of the Upmarket above cast light and their strange shadows into the Undercity. The stench of rust and rot is everywhere - tar and smoke, and a gristly, unclean sensation that fills your lungs and films across your skin. The sounds of the Undercity - the dull thunder, ever-present, of the Rails beneath the plate, the murmur of voices, and occasionally, the ring of bullets and the sound of a scream in the empty night - never fade; they pulse in the ears and the minds of those who live here barely noticed, as ever present as the beating of their own hearts.

A thousand meters straight up, the plate sits, suspended; sin and sex and satisfaction, and wealth beyond dreaming. Few people from the Undercity ever get to visit, and even fewer manage to drag themselves out of the sewage to make a life in the shining city. The Upmarket doesn't want them, anyway - they are content to pour their rubbish down to the Undercity, along with whatever "aid" they deign to offer. Few people in the Undercity even think about it - to most, a life outside the Undercity is a dream as unreachable as the moon and as alien as the sky above.

Still, that doesn't mean that all is peaceful. Prosperity reigns above, poverty sinks below, and down where poverty dwells, men learn to hate.

A few months ago, the Grand Rail - the larges of the subway lines affixed to the bottom of the plate, crossing from the northern end of the plate to the south before descending into the Undercity, was attacked and damaged badly in an explosion. The lethal attack was claimed by a group of terrorists known as The Descendants - a group of so-called "freedom fighters" intent on taking over the plate.

Since then, conditions in the Undercity have gotten steadily worse. Where once, the government of the Upmarket was content to leave the 'city to itself, far from the thoughts of those who live above, they now have taken grand steps to see to it that their half of the city is vouchsafed against threats. Now, security forces patrol the 'city, curfews are enforced, and what "aid" was once provided has begun to dry up as the Upmarket's charity for it's poorer dependent fades. Far from removing the threat, however, it has simply brought things to a boil - the residents of the Undercity chafe at these new restrictions, passed down from on high by an authority that few see as legitimate, and people have slowly become more and more volatile in their hatred...

PLAYERS

pcktlnt - Margot Anna Xiu, Medic

Dilvish the Deliverer - Dexter Vinn, Smuggler

Ludo - Jonas Reynlds, Techie

fishnjeeps - Sim, Merchant

Girot - Kodo Roofwalker

GM's NOTE

Hey everybody! I just want to give you all another welcome! This is going to be the OOC thread for the "The Blue and Distant Sky" campaign! I will fill it with all sorts of interesting and useful things - maps, character sketches, and other things that may be useful to you on your journey through the cities of Norram! I'll also be using it to keep track of your character sheets and other such things, to keep track of initiatives and other combat statistics, and as a useful repository for other such things.

In addition, you can use this thread to keep in touch with each other and me! You can use it to ask me questions about the rules or the campaign, to discuss where you'd like to go next, or as a workspace to collaborate on puzzles - it's basically a free-chat space for members of this campaign, so we don't have to put everything in spoilers at the bottom of our IC posts.

I hope you guys have fun with this campaign - I'm sure I will!

REFERENCE MATERIALS

Rulebook

Blank Character Sheets

Aard's List of Plot Threads - GM only! :D
MAPS - COMING SOON

CURRENT LOCATION

bar_w_laakim_by_aard_rinn-d7odij6.jpg

• Like 2

This should be the link for Dex: linky

Also while I placed points in my substat skills, I didn't necessarily define what they were.  I have two languages to select (not sure what languages there are)  and I wasn't sure about Expertise.  I figured something that would help me with smuggling (security maybe) and another to have contacts/knowledge of crime families/gangs/syndicates (Crime).  Just wanted to throw those out there for consideration.

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer

You've got to give me permission - set your share to universal.

Also, what are you doing in the cantina ATM? I'll put up a post for all of you as soon as you let me know.

I could use two extra languages. I'd like whatever would be most helpful for tech related task. If there aren't 2, give me something that would be a neighborhood dialect, something I would have picked up from family.

Also need an expertise. Was thinking encoding or electronic security protocol. Something to explain why I know too much about getting into electronics. 

Edit: As a game mechanic thought, you could make "items" that are electronic software or hardware that assist with various task. Example.

Password decoding software - grants a bonus when trying to crack electronic password protected items. 

Facial recognition software - When tied into video files or live feed give a bonus to finding useful information (person of intrest)

Edited by Ludo

I'm still working on language stuff.

For expertise, electronic security sounds fine. Encoding would probably be a tech check or something to actually do it...

What are some choices for Max's expertise? In the playing post, I made her sound like she was a surgeon. So expertise with small blades would be great. It's due to her many years of practice and application from shadowing the doctor she works under. She could also use it as a melee weapon. ^_^

Pretty sure using a knife and a scalpel requires different movements, but the idea would be the same if one was aiming for vital arteries and body areas. :)