TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

I'm still tracking food daily. It's allowing me to see what I'm eating, and make better choices. I've lost ~2lbs.  I'm slowly changing food habits, like not buying processed foods, and buying more fruit (and eating it) and cutting back on portions.  I haven't bought a single package of cookies, but I am going to mix up some brownies for game night, so my friends can eat them. (and then the brownie mix is not in the pantry staring at me).  I found some seaweed crisps at a local asian market that satisfy my cravings for salty and crispy,  with about half the calories of traditional chips. 

One of the big pitfalls I've discovered is restaurant salads. Most of them are horrible.  DH and I tried a new place earlier this week and each had a beautiful tasty salad. I looked it up on their website when we got home.... over 800 calories each, and over 1200 sodium on DH's salad!  Add some breadsticks, a roll, chicken strips or a slice of pizza like they were offering, plus a sweet drink and you'd hit your daily allowance in no time.  For one meal! And of course this place had "healthy" and "natural" and "organic" signs all over the place making you feel like you were eating right.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Intermittent fasting is a good method.

Also, cut out sodas and replace with water, once used to it, you won't be able to stand the sweet sodas anymore.

I now rarely drink sodas, a cola , I can't even drink 7up/sprite anymore, I feel like me teeth fall out when I taste it.

Problem...

I never drank sodas in the first place ::P: The carbonation is physically painful. Injected CO2 (sodas, Pop Rocks, cheap beers) feels like acid when I drink it. So I never learned. CO2 from natural fermentation (good beer, kombucha, funky pickles, real root beer) doesn't feel like that, at least nowhere near as bad as that.

Everybody always says 'cut out sodas' because it's a great idea, I fully support it, and it works for them. But when you never drink sodas...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Problem...

I never drank sodas in the first place ::P: The carbonation is physically painful. Injected CO2 (sodas, Pop Rocks, cheap beers) feels like acid when I drink it. So I never learned. CO2 from natural fermentation (good beer, kombucha, funky pickles, real root beer) doesn't feel like that, at least nowhere near as bad as that.

Everybody always says 'cut out sodas' because it's a great idea, I fully support it, and it works for them. But when you never drink sodas...

Ah, I get that.

I don't know if you drink fruit juices , most of those contain as much sugar as sodas.

So maybe that is something useful?

Anyway, good luck with the intermittent fasting thing.

I do it as well, but since I had some bad stuff happening last days, I'm now eating whatever I want.

Just to feel a bit better.

Stupid, I know...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Ah, I get that.

I don't know if you drink fruit juices , most of those contain as much sugar as sodas.

So maybe that is something useful?

Anyway, good luck with the intermittent fasting thing.

I do it as well, but since I had some bad stuff happening last days, I'm now eating whatever I want.

Just to feel a bit better.

Stupid, I know...

Still good advice. Many people think because it's fruit juice it's healthy. On the rare occasions I do fruit juice I've always gone for the no-sugar-added stuff. At least then it still tastes like fruit. And whatever rum I've put in it :devil:

Food is an important tool in the "feel better" box. Guilt later, cookies now. Or whatever your preferred 'feel good' foods are.

Tonight I'm making chicken fajitas for Pathfinder. One of my gaming group said he'd bring dinner and so he's bringing a pot of rice and beans and... said I should make the rest. Normally is fine but he told me with scare hours to plan and cook and acquire ingredients <_<

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm very careful with juice. So much of it isn't juice at all, it's sugar water or corn syrup mixed with flavorings. Anyway, I bought some little 4oz juice glasses a few years ago.  I typically pour half a glass of juice (2oz) and fill the rest with water. It's still very sweet.   Lately I've been drinking coconut water. Only 50cal for an 8oz glass (and I never drink that much) and it is plenty sweet enough.  It also has all the electrolytes, so it is great if you are feeling dehydrated or ill. 

• Like 3

Eventhough I eat more than I want right now, stress seems to help lose weight.

Jay...something good comes out of all this crap!

• Like 1

Weight Watchers is continuing to do me good - my last weigh-in was 345.2 pounds, which is a significant loss from December, where my doctor weighed me at 360.  I'm really liking how they help me to manage my eating, and the app that they provide has made the program much easier to follow than it was the last time I followed it.

• Like 7

On 2/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, John Fiala said:

Weight Watchers is continuing to do me good - my last weigh-in was 345.2 pounds, which is a significant loss from December, where my doctor weighed me at 360.  I'm really liking how they help me to manage my eating, and the app that they provide has made the program much easier to follow than it was the last time I followed it.

My only quibbles with their app are that they are constantly updating it, so I seem to have it stop working regularly while I figure out what went wrong, and I feel like it should cache more data locally, since I spend much of my day (when I'd like to be tracking) in a near dead zone for cell phones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

My only quibbles with their app are that they are constantly updating it, so I seem to have it stop working regularly while I figure out what went wrong, and I feel like it should cache more data locally, since I spend much of my day (when I'd like to be tracking) in a near dead zone for cell phones.

Well, I haven't noticed it updating, and as it happens I live and work in the middle of Denver, so my cell phone is always live.  But that does sound like a pain.

One thing that does annoy me is the WW Connect social media thing.  You can write new posts on your phone, but you can't update it from the website, which really annoys me.

• Like 2

Perhaps I exaggerate a little for effect, but they do update the app every couple of months at least, which is a shorter cycle than I get around to app updates on my phone.  I haven't tried the social media thing; except for hobby fora, I've been avoiding social media for a year and a half or so.  I guess WW would count more as hobby, though...

Do you find that talking about things helps?  My SO is also doing this with me, so I happily don't have to go too far for support.

• Like 2

I forgot to update. At day 30,i was down a total of 10 inches between bust /waist /hips, and 12lbs. 

That means I'm back down a pant size, and I feel so so much better. We decided to do ankther 30 days to keep up the good results, and I'm going to start exercising 3 days a week. I'm a terrible exerciser, so that is actually quite a commitment. I've been mostly doing YouTube exercise videos so I can mix it up. I generally yell at the skinny girl in the video and curse the whole time. Lol

The nice thing is, GBO is on the diet with me. So we're able to talk about changes and our struggles together. It's really not hard, it almost habit by now. But it does get kind of.... Boring? Tedious? We have to keep trying to find stuff we're excited about because it's all veggies and 'good' food. Considering we have spent the majority of our 12 year marriage celebrating with food, it makes things seem a little flat. 

Anyways, sorry! Results are good! I can see it in my face, and I'm gonna keep working. ::D:

I'm proud of everyone! Keep it up! 

• Like 7

I found this article inspiring.  He changed his life and those of the people around him. 

"I wasn’t acting on many opportunities because I was hungover most of the time. I was medicating with food. I was medicating with alcohol. And finally it just got to a point where I was just really unhappy. "

My Restaurant Was the Greatest Show of Excess You’d Ever Seen, and It Almost Killed Me

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Inarah said:

I found this article inspiring.  He changed his life and those of the people around him. 

"I wasn’t acting on many opportunities because I was hungover most of the time. I was medicating with food. I was medicating with alcohol. And finally it just got to a point where I was just really unhappy. "

My Restaurant Was the Greatest Show of Excess You’d Ever Seen, and It Almost Killed Me

I know the chefs and the restaurants in this article. They really are famous for their feasts fit for vikings. I'm not just talking about quantity, but top notch savoury goodness. (Pro-tip: bring doggy bags <-PLURAL. You'll have leftovers for a week.)

I also agree that living in that environment of constant excess can can easily make you spiral out of control.

My brother was a salesman for a long time, and constantly inviting clients to restaurants, with good meals and bottles of wine, etc. It wasn't long until he realized it had a negative effect on his health (noticeable weight gain, and he's the athletic one in the family). So for restaurant staff, the risks must be amplified.

P.S. By some strange coincidence, as I was listening to the radio, the chef in question was the invited guest discussing his issue of alcoholism (or medication as he often refered to it) and recovery.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

I haven't posted here in awhile, but I've been making some big changes and seeing results, so I thought I'd share. ^_^

Like @NebulousMissy, a couple of months ago I hit my "I refuse to weigh more than this" point. Granted, some of that weight gain was due to hormone medication I was taking October-December, but some of it was also from eating too much delicious junk food to deal with my mess of emotions during that time period, on top of what I've been gradually putting on over the past year. 165 might not seem like much, but when I'm usually between 145-150, and now the only pants that fit comfortably anymore are my loose sweatpants (which were starting to get a bit snug), it's a problem.

Now, my actual weight has never mattered to me; to my mind it's just a number. What really matters to me is how I feel and how my clothes fit, and since both were now in the "poorly" category, I knew I needed to change things, but I didn't really have a systematic way of going about it. Not eating certain things just made eating feel like punishment, which didn't help the emotion problems, etc. etc. I also tried exercising more, and even though I was doing low-impact stuff and trying to take it slowly, my knees and lower back were feeling worse every day. 

My breakthrough came while I was playing Elder Scrolls online, of all things. The game has a chat feature, and a few members of my most active guild were casually chatting about health and exercise and what's worked for them, etc. I was sort of occupied so I wasn't really paying attention, until I noticed that one of the members mentioned a few times that exercise (while really good and should definitely be done), never worked for them for weight loss, especially because they have knee and back problems. At this point I started to pay closer attention to the conversation. This person talked about calorie counting and protein and such, things I'd heard about before but never tried (I thought that if I had to log everything I ate I'd just not eat due to it being too much work), and then the important bit: they said they used an app called Myfitnesspal. 

I was curios, so I started asking questions, and they explained that not only does it make counting calories super easy, it also makes it easy to log exercise, and encourages healthy, gradual weight loss (you put in info including current and goal weight, general activity level, and how much you want to lose per week, and it calculates what your daily calorie intake should be). It has a huge database of foods you can choose from, a barcode scanner you can use to instantly import whatever you're eating (if it has a barcode), plus a mechanic for putting in your own recipes and serving size so it does the calorie estimation for you. It also has a similarly neat database of exercises (including such things as household chores, shoveling snow and auto repairs) and estimates how many calories each one burns. My favorite part (which can be turned off in the options) is that whatever exercises you log, it adds those calories onto your daily calorie allowance. So if I really want ice cream later, I know I need to 'earn' those calories by doing some kind of exercising that day. 

I was intrigued. I was excited. I was, in fact, so absorbed in this life-changing conversation that my character died a number of times due to my distraction (I finally just parked her in a corner so I could chat more easily). :lol:

I've been using it for almost a month now, and I'm already noticing a big difference. I feel better, some of my clothes are starting to fit again, and I just have more energy in general. I weighed myself a few days ago, and I had to do it several times because I didn't think I could have dropped 9 pounds since Christmas. It just seemed too easy! I wish I'd weighed myself right before starting this program so my data would be more accurate (I guessed I was about 162 based on my last doctor visit), but even so, I'm feeling physically a lot better already.

Since this is my first serious attempt at a lifestyle change, I haven't been focusing on totally eliminating anything. Instead, I've gone looking for healthier alternatives, adding more healthy snacking options (like greek yogurts, baby carrots, fruit and cottage cheese), and paying attention to serving sizes on labels. If I want ice cream, I eat it; I just measure it into a measuring cup first before putting it in a bowl. I like Cheetos; I discovered a baked version that tastes 95% like the regular thing, with far fewer calories. I now have a 1/2 cup measure that lives on my desk, since most of my munchies have that as a serving size. And you know what? The weirdest part is I've noticed I'm actually MORE satisfied by my smaller munchie portions, because instead of feeling guilty, I feel like I earned them. They've become the treats they should have been all along, rather than poor meal substitutes because I'm too lazy or tired or distracted to eat real food and just munching endlessly instead. It's also forced me to re-evaluate my eating habits: if I eat a 250 calorie Snickers bar, that doesn't leave many calories for a satisfying dinner, and going to bed hungry is no fun.

Exercise has also gotten weirdly motivating for me too, especially since so many things I never thought of as exercise (like household chores) count, since I know that if I clean the kitchen and bathroom, I can eat that chocolate bar and enjoy it. As long as it's a small one. :lol: And if I don't feel up to exercising, it just means no snackies for me that day. 

So yeah, I could go on and on about how awesome Myfitnesspal is. I'm going to keep using it even after I hit my target weight, since it's been so good at motivating me to both eat better and exercise more. It's almost like a little game! 'How many ways can I find to eat what I want while still staying below my calorie allowance?' 

If anyone is using it or starts using it, let me know and I can send you a friend request! You have complete control over what info gets shared with others; I have mine set so my friends can see my exercsise activity, but not my food diary for example. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 7

Welp, three weeks in.

First week I lost 3 pounds.

Second week there were donuts. I lost zero pounds. And gained some back :blush:

Third week I lost all that gain and another two pounds.

So I'm down 5 pounds in 3 weeks. And all I have to do is stay away from the donuts. 

I don't feel restrained or lacking. Some days I shift my 8 hours to 6pm to 2am, which is fine. My stomach hasn't decided to hate me during work at all these 3 weeks. I still get my after-work drink of a lil' sumthin' :devil: And if we want to go out one night to some restaurant we don't feel limited.

On the other hand, there was a day I started falling back into old habits. Old anorexic habits. Partner realized by 1am that I really hadn't eaten yet that day so she threatened me with a freezer pizza. Instead I sliced a whole chicken breast into a bowl of ramen with egg and vegetables and good stuff. So, yes, I have to diet with a designated driver.

• Like 4