TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

So. Mixed bag doctor visit today.

Knee is totally screwed. Elfin FUBAR'd. Knee replacement is in my future.

Back: Took 16 years to diagnose Spondylolysis (small fracture) at L5. Has caused my spine to slip forward and my muscles have been trying to compensate. Mixed with my bad knee causing me to not walk with a proper gait, this compounds the whole situation. Not operable but have some exercises. Will have to manage it for the rest of my life.

So certain hobbies, hiking and biking, are out of the question. :'(

Lowering the meds that make me stupid in hopes they stop making me stupid.

Down 9 pounds in 3 weeks. Not diabetic. No info in numbness. Will be starting thyroid meds to see if this will improve.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 6

<hugs>  Well done on the weight loss.

Sympathy regarding the knee & back & meds.

• Like 1

Checking in a 243. Atkins in full swing thank goodness, lol. If this keeps up I can knock off 3.5 lbs per week. More once the PT routine stabilizes.

• Like 4

Doctor has put me on Very Low Calorie diet... nasty. 

On first day and already wanting real food.

He very very strongly recommended banding.... I guess he's seen lots of very fat people.  

Gave me a fairly low chance of suceeding low term without it.  Got a head doctors name, sports physo name & dietitian name....

• Like 4

Stick with it!  After about 72 hours your stomach will shrink a bit and the worst of the cravings will go away.  One month in you'll have completely reset your eating patterns and the whole experience will be as natural as can be.  Just make sure you drink TONS of water.  Water is a critical component in chemistry of the fat burning process.

• Like 5

Holy cow... it's been a while.  The good news is I'm down 10 pounds.  I'm at a health-ier weight.  I'm at 162 ish (floating between 160-164 now.  Added a lot of cardio to my life.  Started doing cardio 3 days a week with a stationary bike on top of the house work.  Energy's up and that's a good thing.

• Like 7

Only 3 pounds down but it's a start. I wasn't that great with food last week since the hubs was away.

Better this week so I figured I would see what I was at.

• Like 3

Time to get back on the horse. We moved this summer and the new house is in a spot where public transportation to work takes 1h:15m, while biking takes 35 minutes according to google maps.

Instead of getting a car we got really nice bikes. So now I am biking to and from work every day. I love the ride, it is one of my favorite things in the day (small winding country roads and forest paths most of the way) so I think this will stick.

Getting a nice bike makes a massive difference to the biking experience. I highly recommend it if you bike regularly and can afford it. Not talking insane competition level bike here, but still expensive at around $1500.

• Like 6

Also, with my awsome bike I got the ride down to 27 minutes rather than the 35 google estimated.

• Like 7

I really miss biking to work. It takes about 45 minutes for me (12 miles), which is a bit tricky with the baby's schedule but should be doable at least a few days a week again soon. Back in Michigan there was a really nice path I could take though, whereas here I have to take some fairly busy Massachusetts roads in a few spots.

There is a huge difference between a $200 bike and a $1000 bike, definitely worth the investment.  Also, get at least 28 mm tires (most road bikes come with 23 or 25 mm).  They won't slow you down and you'll be much more comfortable on mediocre quality roads.

• Like 3

Ary: at least you can exert some control now.

kay13: do what works. Don't be afraid of "copping out". Go with what's going to benefit you.

vejlin: that sounds amazing, I'm not surprised the ride is the best part of the day!

Bathory: good work! Just keep at it, and at it, and at it.

Report on me myself: cold weather caused a massive flare-up of CFS symptoms. Balancing out the lack of excercise by skipping meals (lunch) seems to work OK and it's easy, so that's what I'm doing.

• Like 4