TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

I'm almost back down to my pre-GenCon weight of 210. 211 this morning, which is a net loss of -39 lbs in just over 5 months.

Wow, good progress.

Any secrets to share?

• Like 2

Well, I've been on the pre-op VLC, stuff all carb diet for a little over 2 weeks now.

All I can say is ITS TOUGH.

meal replacement breakfast

meal replacement + salad (very limited number of ingredients) lunch

120g cooked lean protein + salad/veg (very limited number of ingredients).

I've lost over 3kgs so far..... but its not something I could stick to.

• Like 3

Well, I've been on the pre-op VLC, stuff all carb diet for a little over 2 weeks now.

All I can say is ITS TOUGH.

meal replacement breakfast

meal replacement + salad (very limited number of ingredients) lunch

120g cooked lean protein + salad/veg (very limited number of ingredients).

I've lost over 3kgs so far..... but its not something I could stick to.

I feel thats the problem with lots of diets. As soon as you change to normal eating pattern the jojo effect kicks in.

A slow but steady change in eating pattern and sticking to it works better in the long run I guess.

• Like 1

Totally slacked off on working out this week. I just want to paint, so I guess that is good but bad?

I had mentioned to Uber we tried doing the P903X but I overdid it as usual and my back is killing me.

I may need to try the couch to 5k app again and go... outside... in the sun... ugh.

• Like 3

I think it's time for me to jump into this thread... Hope you folks don't mind. ::):  I hit over 260 at one point, then by July 2010 I was down to 189lbs. I took up running, eventually getting a half-marathon PR of 2:01:56 about two years ago. Then... things kinda went off the rails. I'm not sure what I'm at now but I think it's around 230lbs or so, and I doubt I could run a full kilometer without needing to take a walk break. Time to fix this.

First things first: Pepsi must go! I know that stuff does Bad Things to me if I'm addicted to it, which I really, really am right now. So after today, no more. I foresee a lot of Tylenol in the coming week. ::(: I also need to start making my lunches for work. And I also need to get back into running, but I'm OK with holding off a week or two for that part and giving my body a bit of a chance to overcome caffeine withdrawal. 

My goal is to be back in top running shape (by my standards) for Reapercon next year, which means losing the weight (relatively) quickly so I have most of a year to build back up my stamina and speed. I know from past experience that going to a con while being in shape is way more fun than not being in shape. it's a lot easier to get around, do stuff, and not feel exhausted. I can also tolerate lack of sleep a lot better. All important things for a con! Particularly the lack-of-sleep bit. :;): 

• Like 7

There are a lot of things that are more fun/better when you are in shape ... :)

Good luck! And welcome to the thread, the more the merrier, people that is, not weight lol.

• Like 6

Weight holding steady. :(

Energy levels way up, though.

Pain levels down to almost nothing :)

• Like 11

Starting Monday, my wife and I plan on getting up and going for walks (at the very least) every morning. I'll try to get her to transition to the gym (she hates going to the gym). The goal is to work out/be active at least 30-45 minutes daily.

• Like 10

Starting Monday, my wife and I plan on getting up and going for walks (at the very least) every morning. I'll try to get her to transition to the gym (she hates going to the gym). The goal is to work out/be active at least 30-45 minutes daily.

Having a pair of dogs helps immensely with that. 15 minute walk around the block every morning. Usually a 30+ minute walk around the neighborhood every evening. Pull up bar in the doorway between the kitchen and living room helps too.

• Like 6

My girl and I walk a lot, in weekends and time off, we sometimes drive to a historical village or a spot in nature and make it a hike followed by a coffee.

We also have a dog so 3 or 4 times a day we have to walk for at least 15 minutes.

We are not obese or really heavy, but we both want to loose some weight and most importantly keep in shape.

I will turn 51 soon, she is 46, I've seen lots of people our age who are tired from walking to the supermarket... I will not have that.

Staying healthy. enjoy life as much as we can is the goal here.

I've read that a walk every day is in fact better then a big work out once a week. ( nothing against combining both of course).

• Like 2

Totally slacked off on working out this week. I just want to paint, so I guess that is good but bad?

I had mentioned to Uber we tried doing the P903X but I overdid it as usual and my back is killing me.

I may need to try the couch to 5k app again and go... outside... in the sun... ugh.

I really dislike these "get fit fast" programs, P903x, Couch to 5k, the adventure path, which all seem to feature lots of high intensity exercise. If you get lucky and don't hurt yourself, you can get very fit, but most likely you're just going to hurt yourself. Moderately increased heart rates sustained for longer and longer periods is a much safer and sustainable, but less dramatic, way to lose weight.

As you get in better shape, the level of activity required to maintain a moderately increased heart rate will go up so it is a good idea to have a heart rate monitor to make sure you aren't going too easy or too hard. Once you're down to a healthy weight, then you can pick up the high intensity stuff (carefully).

• Like 4

Couch to 5k is a 6 or 8 week program that starts with walking and very short bits of jogging in between. You can go as fast or slow as you want, it's actually something I have never had a problem doing. the P90 though tend ot always kill me. I'm sure they are great if you are already somewhat in shape, I have freinds who did them with great results.

• Like 3

It looks like I'm down two BMI points and 2-3% body fat since November of last year.. the scale hasn't moved much but that's okay so far.

Work does an annual biometrics thing and this year you get 20 points for each of the metrics you meet.. I missed on 3 (BMI, Glucose and HDL) so I need to make up 60 points through activities to get my full HRA company contribution..  the first one they have, that i want to participate in, is walking an average of 5000 steps a day for 30 days.. other things are coaching or classes which they seem intent on inflicting on us

I've had discussions with them over their 'goal' numbers that are unrealistic for me and they just don't seem to understand.. their BMI goal is 30.. if I get down to 0% body fat I'd be at a 30.4..my goal is 20% body fat which puts me at 32.8 or something.  I'm not built like a standard person.. I'd have to actually lose muscle or bone mass to hit the goal. 

So i figure when I hit my goal I'll walk in to a class in shape and broad shouldered and say I'm there to learn how to not be obese...

• Like 6

Couch to 5k is a 6 or 8 week program that starts with walking and very short bits of jogging in between. You can go as fast or slow as you want, it's actually something I have never had a problem doing. the P90 though tend ot always kill me. I'm sure they are great if you are already somewhat in shape, I have freinds who did them with great results.

If you have not checked out DDP Yoga, I recommend it.. its working very well for a lot of my friends.. I just need to get motivated again and start back up..  

• Like 4

C25K seems pretty good. Definitely not high intensity! ::): It's not what I did when I started running, but then again, I'm a notorious idiot.  ^_^ (I started with a half marathon clinic. Not surprisingly, I got hurt along the way.)  I also know quite a number of people whose first steps to a healthier lifestyle was C25K, and a great number of them have maintained a high level of fitness for years afterwards. Some moved on to half marathons, then fulls, then ultras, while other folks moved into weightlifting or crossfit or something, and others stuck with just the occasional 5/10K and eating better.

So i figure when I hit my goal I'll walk in to a class in shape and broad shouldered and say I'm there to learn how to not be obese...

BMI makes me angry. When I lost enough weight I had ribs sticking out, I was barely out of the "extremely obese" category. My brother's worse, because he's got the same kind of build as me but he's also an on-again, off-again bodybuilder & powerlifter. He'd have to lose so much muscle mass to get anywhere close to the "healthy" range of BMI... The worst part, at least for me, is that everyone knows the BMI is BS but idiots like insurance companies and out-of-touch doctors insist on continuing to use it.

... then again, maybe I'm just being grumpy because caffeine withdrawal is starting to hit?  :grr:

• Like 6