TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

Ok... so I have had this app for a while and you guys will most likly mock it...

"Plant Nanny"

It's free, you put in your weight and activity level and it tells you how much water you need a day. You then set a cup size (say 8 oz) and everytime you consume the water you ... water your plant. The plants grow and mature and you have  a garden you harvest seeds from.

If you are larger you need more water than a smaller person, so the ususal 64 oz a day probably isn't enough.

I drink over 100 oz a water though the day. You would think this sounds like a ton since I am not active, it isn't. I now crave water and my once too tight wedding ring is loose, even though I haven't lost weight. Drinking enough water makes you feel better and flushes everything out of your body.

The cons is you pee a ton.

Edited by Bathory
  • Like 5

The 8 glasses of water a day thing is a myth. It's a long standing medical recommendation, since the 40's, with no basis in research. So how much water do you need? Enough that you don't feel thirsty and your pee isn't yellow. If you are eating fruits and vegetables you are getting a lot of water that way, too. Coffee, tea and juice count as water.... just watch the amount of sugar with that.

And while I'm here, the story about tea and coffee being a diuretic is also... somewhat misleading. Yes, caffeine is a known diuretic, but you'd need to drink about 40 cups of coffee in an hour in order to get enough caffeine to have that effect. Meanwhile, you've had 40 cups of hot brown water to offset it. Tea and coffee make you pee, like any other drink you'd consume. It doesn't cause dehydration.

But water is so good for you in so many ways, you should drink as much as you can, and don't be afraid of other drinks, as long as they are low in sugars. Coconut milk and citrus water are also really good for hydration because they contain natural electrolytes.

• Like 4

Yeah the more water I drink the better I feel, and my skin gets less "once a month" breakouts :)

Funny thing how having enough water keeps your skin feeling good lol

• Like 3

Actually... don't drink as much as you can. You can die from water intoxication (hypnotremia). It has happened (I recall a specific radio show where a woman was a contestant and died).

Drink what you need. Even 6 liters in a healthy weight person can be too much.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 3

I am 220lbs and drink 112 ish ounces of water, plus over 16 ounces black coffee, on the weekend add a few beers to that, so about 150+ ounces of fluid on a Fri or Sat. 

Edited by Bathory
  • Like 5

Ok... so I have had this app for a while and you guys will most likly mock it...

"Plant Nanny"

It's free, you put in your weight and activity level and it tells you how much water you need a day. You then set a cup size (say 8 oz) and everytime you consume the water you ... water your plant. The plants grow and mature and you have  a garden you harvest seeds from.

If you are larger you need more water than a smaller person, so the ususal 64 oz a day probably isn't enough.

I drink over 100 oz a water though the day. You would think this sounds like a ton since I am not active, it isn't. I now crave water and my once too tight wedding ring is loose, even though I haven't lost weight. Drinking enough water makes you feel better and flushes everything out of your body.

Please don't overdo this. A British girl died last year because she was on a water diet.

She drank 8 liters in a row..( not active and not during heat)

As odd as it may sound every substance is toxic when you consume too much of it,. even water.

So ehh, drinking water is good for you, but like everything else, don't go overboard.

• Like 3

"Plant Nanny"

Please don't overdo this. A British girl died last year because she was on a water diet.

As odd as it may sound every substance is toxic when you consume too much of it,. even water.

So ehh, drinking water is good for you, but like everything else, don't go overboard.

You do realize how difficult it is to do that. The people who get water intoxication are either taking place in a really dumb contest where they chug water and do not urinate and their cells are destroyed by the water. Also has happened to professional athletes after a marathon from drinking too much too fast.

Drinking a slow consistant amount of water all day isn't bad for you.

Other than being overweight I am a super healthy person. I never get sick and I am on zero medication. So don't woryy, the water isn't killing me :P

And I would rather die than go on a water diet, who does that? Food is awesome.

• Like 5

"Plant Nanny"

You do realize how difficult it is to do that. The people who get water intoxication are either taking place in a really dumb contest where they chug water and do not urinate and their cells are destroyed by the water. Also has happened to professional athletes after a marathon from drinking too much too fast.

Drinking a slow consistant amount of water all day isn't bad for you.

Other than being overweight I am a super healthy person. I never get sick and I am on zero medication. So don't woryy, the water isn't killing me :P

And I would rather die than go on a water diet, who does that? Food is awesome.

Happy to hear that.

• Like 1

Down 25 pounds since I started almost 8 weeks ago.

Drinking more water, eating a lot less.

• Like 6

Crossing my fingers here, but I think that caffeine withdrawal is finally complete. Still have a touch of insomnia but that's pretty much my entire life so... yeah. Now I just need to get my (not-so)little tush out and run! But not today. Tonight's the final volleyball game of the season, and I'm hoping to be actually useful on the theory that there's an ever-so-slight chance we might win and not end the year in last place... Admittedly, that's about the same realm of probability as me winning the lottery, but still. One can dream!

Anyway. Caffeine elimination was phase 1 of getting back to a healthier lifestyle, and that went well. Now I just need to work on the rest of it... ::): 

• Like 5

Since starting a month ago, I'm now sitting at -6.6 lbs. It's slow going, but as long as I continue to go downwards, I'm happy.

• Like 5

6.6 lbs is good for a month, what do you mean slow going?

I'd like to lose an average of 2lbs/wk so I feel I'm a tad behind (1.4lbs), but I'll just get more active and work out which should speed it up a bit.

• Like 1