TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

Official Monday weigh in is 221.8, and based on the last few weeks I should be getting under 200 this year which will be nice.  It is a similar trend to what I had going all last summer so probably sustainable.

• Like 8

I am fluctuating randomly between 242 and 244 so I'll call it 243.  Not much but better than 245.

• Like 4

I joined a fitness program on our base.

Have been there three times now. it's twice a week.

So let see if I can get results.

• Like 6

I wasn't going to post in this thread, preferring to slowly and quietly work towards my weight loss goals.

I was doing alright, having lost 20 lbs since April of this year but then the illness for which I just had surgery befell me and I lost another 20 lbs in August.

that almost got me down to my goal of 180lbs (at which point the plan is to reassess whether I need to lose more or not) but the way I got here is not to be recommended.

Nevertheless, I'm nearly there now so… yay, I guess.

• Like 7

I wasn't going to post in this thread, preferring to slowly and quietly work towards my weight loss goals.

I was doing alright, having lost 20 lbs since April of this year but then the illness for which I just had surgery befell me and I lost another 20 lbs in August.

that almost got me down to my goal of 180lbs (at which point the plan is to reassess whether I need to lose more or not) but the way I got here is not to be recommended.

Nevertheless, I'm nearly there now so… yay, I guess.

I lost 15lbs when I had my wisdom teeth removed... and yeah, not a weight loss plan I'd recommend...

• Like 4

I plateau'ed in August and am Still at 210 which is where I began the month.

I plan to double up September, increasing my workout times by +20 minutes and adding in weight training (I have TRIED to add weight training twice before, but I always abandon hat part of the plan) during that bonus time.

My secondary goal is a km/week goal. I plan to run 30km (18.7mi)/week. That'll be 5 days of 4km (2.5 miles) and 2 days at 5km (3.1miles). 

Tools I'm using:

MyFitnessPal app to calorie and workout track. It coordinates with my other apps to store everything in one place

Apple Health as a workout tracker

Adidas MiCoach as a Workout Coach - MiCoach tells me how fast to run and for how long, in intervals. It also has weight training plans.

Zombies Run as a workout Game that lets me listen to a fun story and music and play a base building game after each run.

Goal for September - 9lbs. Note that I've lost a week already, so I don't expect to make the full goal, at ~2 per week.

Nutshell - plateau's happen. Must break that cycle. Since I'm having a hard time eating even less than the 1,500 calories a day I eat, I'm going to step up my workouts.

Reaperbryan - unless you have doctor's orders to the contrary, I definitely would suggest not trying to go under ~1500 calories/day. When I dropped from 250 to 190 in about 5 months, I was averaging between 1800 and 2100 calories per day and wasn't permitted to exercise at all during most of that time (thanks to a hernia and subsequent surgery). I know there's some debate over whether "starvation mode" is a real thing, but I definitely wouldn't expect good things to happen if your intake drops too low. As it is, I wouldn't expect you to be able to sustain any significant weight training - rebuilding muscle takes a LOT of energy and other resources, you'd probably find yourself exhausted and sore almost all the time if you tried to do a bunch of weights without upping how much food you're eating. (That's based on my own painful experience, by the way...)

To give you an idea... At one point a few years back, there was a period of about 6 months where my schedule worked out in a way that made it easy for me to get to the gym regularly, and I was lifting weights reasonably hard every weekday. Not bodybuilding level or anything, but definitely solid workouts. I ended up eating ~3000 calories/day and was still losing weight. When my brother was doing a lot of weights (he's much bigger and stronger than I am to start with) I'm pretty sure he was packing in something like 5000 calories per day, and certainly not putting on any fat while doing it.

Anyway. All this is probably unwanted and unneeded, but I felt obliged to share anyway because I'm annoying like that. ::): 

• Like 3

I don't know I would trust that calculator very far. I certainly wouldn't lose much weight at 2000/day but it says that is extreme for me (I'm big and go for long walks every day and long runs many days).

For weight lifting, I suggest starting at something that feels ridiculously easy. If you start hard or even moderately you are likely to be too sore to keep it up at first. It will only take a couple of weeks to build up to something more reasonable and then you'll be able to sustain it instead of starting, getting sore, then stopping for a few weeks/months/years until you build up the motivation again.

• Like 1

Hmm maybe this is not a very good calculator, that's possible.

Still..read up on this subject.

There is a minimum your body needs. If you continue to eat less then that you will slowly destroy your body.

You want to lose fat not muscletone and such.

My minimum is 1745 calories. That is less then the obligatory 2000/2500 a male is allowed so it makes sense to me.

Better to lose weight slowly in a healthy way then crash and burn.

• Like 1

If you are fat (aka me) the calculator will give you a better idea, if you aren't fat to begin with or you are barely over weight it won't tell you a high number.

It gave me 1750 calories a day for weight loss.

I used to do weights, before I took an arrow to the knee, actually until I slacked off

Weights are fantastic! Start slow and build it up. You can see your body changing and the pounds may not fall off as quickly your clothes get looser and looser.

I have a more "dwarf like" build, I am stocky so I can get toned pretty well and pretty fast. I am just super lazy.

• Like 4