TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

A rule of thumb for caloric intake is to eat as many calories as you want to weigh x10. Example: Want to weigh 170? Eat 1700 calories/day. This isn't counting exercise of course, you'd want to eat a bit more to compensate for the calorie loss that your muscles need to not atrophy. 

• Like 3

A rule of thumb for caloric intake is to eat as many calories as you want to weigh x10. Example: Want to weigh 170? Eat 1700 calories/day. This isn't counting exercise of course, you'd want to eat a bit more to compensate for the calorie loss that your muscles need to not atrophy. 

After reading what you posted, it sounds awfully unhealthy if you're a woman (who on average are far smaller than men).

Googling (or the first site on top of the list) tells me that women should aim for weight x13 for the caloric intake and sedentary lifestyle.

• Like 3

After reading what you posted, it sounds awfully unhealthy if you're a woman (who on average are far smaller than men).

Googling (or the first site on top of the list) tells me that women should aim for weight x13 for the caloric intake and sedentary lifestyle.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's the end all be all, read "rule of thumb" meaning it's approximate, it's a quick/fast way to try to figure out about how much you should be eating. 

• Like 2

the deitician I have been working with told me to not go below 1800 calories per day.

It'll depend on how much you weigh, your age, your height, your activity levels, etc. So listen to the dietitian as they have it figured out exactly how many you need specifically.

• Like 3

How dare you attempt to contribute to a conversation on the internet relating to any topic ever, you insensitive jerk!   :;):

Edited by Girot
  • Like 6

Today for lunch i went to an all you can eat Salad bar and had a huge bowl of greens, cucumbers, olives, peppers, and dried cranberries and broccoli and zucchini shreds and beets and mushrooms and some bacon bits. I have NO idea how many calories it was, but I assume calories from plants that are not processed beyond "wash, slice" don't count, right?

You lost me at beets. Everything else sounded absolutely splendid.

• Like 5

leaving for vacation tonight, for a week it will be all beer and meat... hopefully the amount we walk on vacation slightly offsets it. We tend to walk a significant amount so I normally don't gain more than a few pounds.

• Like 8

The NIH calorie calculator is apparently the best online.. it attempts to also give you resting metabolic rate and what your intake would be to maintain and lose

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-many-calories-do-you-need-to-eat-to-lose-weight-this-online-tool-points-the-way_55ad8cf9e4b0d2ded39fdeef

• Like 3

Today i got to work out on the base.

Walking around with dumbells, squatting, push ups, sit ups, stretching, throwing medicine balls.

Felt good.

• Like 6

Lost only 10-15 pounds in the last 3 weeks (first time I've weighed since then, and only the second overall). "Only," lol. But that's with breaking the diet for three weekends in a row. Have to confess it's hard to be too disappointed, but I can't tell if it's steeling my resolve going forward or not.

Finally getting some exercise into the mix, though. Just walking. Actually started because the dogs need walking so badly, as they corgi's been getting a little tubby. Took the wife and all three dogs, to the track at the school, today. Had a lot of fun. See if it keeps up going forward, with summer still here in Texas but winter also coming.

Wife took some pictures of the dogs and got me in a shot or two, while she was walking right behind us--gotta say, my elf is looking great (individual viewer's mileage may vary). That kind of steels the resolve, continuing to see the difference. I'm about back to my "normal" fatness levels, now. Would be nice to keep it going, obvs.

Opinion on calories that (obviously) shouldn't be viewed as anything other than one dude's opinion: I've found counting calories rather counterproductive to losing weight, actually. I've never had success that way, anyway. The devil's in the details, at least for me--paying attention to what I'm eating in terms of fat and carbs. I've had success on both those fronts, and I've especially had success with carbs, here lately. While I'd probably have opted for a fat-limiting diet, all things being equal, the wife's being diagnosed with the beetus made an Atkins-style diet much more feasible for me (and her). Cutting out carbs has made me very aware of what I put in my bodies in terms of sugars and the like. Limiting the carbs of course led directly to losing weight, but it's secondarily led to an immense drop in caloric intake, as well. My stomach's shrunk, don't eat nearly as much--so the caloric balance rather takes care of itself.

With my low-carb diet, in particular, gotta say it's been the healthiest I've ever eaten. People make a big deal out of all the meat one has to eat on Atkins and the like, but I'm eating less red meat now than I was before, due simply to eating less all around, and I'm eating more vegetables. Sweets and starches and bread and all--right out, of course. It's been a very nice balance.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 6

I found the value in calorie counting was less in limiting my calories and more just being more aware of what I was actually eating.

Also, weight loss has momentum. So if you make some bad choices while losing weight, you'll probably keep losing weight unless you make those occasional errors into habits.

• Like 4