TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

I'll definitely be working on this as well. I worked retail and freight for several years, so I was pretty fit and didn't need to watch what I was eating too closely, since I was burning it off by unloading trucks.... Fast forward 7 months of a desk job with the same diet... Ouch. Time for me to wake up and start actively dieting too!

My husband really enjoyed Keto (low carb as well) and kept off the weight he lost with it. I spent several months acquiring various recipes, so if anyone's interested, I could share my OneNote of recipes. There's a lot! I tried to stay away from too many "substitute" recipes, but I put them on there for days when he want to break the diet, but knew he shouldn't.  :;): So most of the recipes are just low carb - add and mix what you will.

We plan on getting back on Keto when we get back from our vacation - no one likes to diet on vacation! 

I'm also going to be doing the Insanity work out. I tried a session with a friend a few years ago, and it kicks your butt, guys! I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do the "fit test" for 2 weeks straight until I can handle the actual workout!

Is Keto similar to Paleo?

Very similar, but it allows dairy, where Paleo does not. 

Ah, that is very interesting. I try Paleo but I love my yoghurt.. hmm. Will look into this.

Thx.

• Like 1

Ugh, back up 5 lbs. Upside, no more nicotine. Downside, I'm always freaking hungry.

I'm with you here I put on about 50 pounds after I quit smoking.  trying to lose it now.  exercising is easier now though  my doc had me use nicorette to control cravings  took about 3 months to be completely nicotene free.

• Like 4

Ugh, back up 5 lbs. Upside, no more nicotine. Downside, I'm always freaking hungry.

I'm with you here I put on about 50 pounds after I quit smoking.  trying to lose it now.  exercising is easier now though  my doc had me use nicorette to control cravings  took about 3 months to be completely nicotene free.

Was having a discussion with the guys at the office about quitting smoking.  Evidently (according one of the guys that quit) there are two components to the weight gain.  One is the act of eating to replace the oral fixation.  That doesn't last too long.  He said the worse problem is that after a few weeks of not smoking your taste buds regenerate and you can actually taste food again.  That causes you to eat more, because food tastes good again. 

• Like 3

I use an e-cigarette to deal with the oral fixation, but I'm now down to no nicotine in the juice. So I don't have the appetite suppressant component.

• Like 3

I've quit cold-turkey every time I've quit--surprisingly didn't experience weight gain until the most recent quitting. And that really came well after the quitting so probably was mostly unrelated. But "surprisingly" because I definitely ate a lot more while quitting. This last time, all that saved me was  I shotgunned a whole box of Little Debbie snacks on day one . . . right after I almost convinced my wife to divorce me . . . and broke some stuff . . . .

Sucks no matter how you do it. I's lucky in that I only ever needed about four days to get the worst out of my system.

• Like 1

Anywho, spent an hour in the gym shooting hoops* again, today. First ten minutes were divine. Felt great, despite having been sore, and was hitting everything. NExt thirty minutes, especially, were absolute torture. Struggled through it, though. Feel kind of miserable now, lol. And may have a blister on the tip of my ring finger. :unsure:

*My wife uses that phrase, "shooting hoops," and it tickles me every time. Just something about her saying it. So adorable. I love it. But now I'm saying it . . . .

• Like 3

I am down another pound, putting me again at -4 for the summer. Hopefully this means I've shifted back to fat burning and will not be gaining more muscle. 

Just to see, I tallied up calories consumed yesterday, it came in over 1500 and now I realize I left out an afternoon snack, so probably over 1600.  Lunch could have been lighter, but we don't throw away leftovers in this house.  Need to get more vegetables in the menu, but I am getting sick of summer salads. 

• Like 4

I am down another pound, putting me again at -4 for the summer. Hopefully this means I've shifted back to fat burning and will not be gaining more muscle. 

What's wrong with gaining more muscle?  Aside from looking great and letting you lift heavy objects, it also burns more fat for you.

• Like 4

Today, I weighed in at 205.8 lbs. This is a total of 2.0 lbs down for the week, 4.0 lbs down for the month of September, 11.4 lbs down for the 3rd Quarter, and 43.0 lbs down since March 26th (when I began working out).

For our non US users, this is 93.3 kg, a week loss of .9 kg, month loss of 1.8 kg, 5.1 kg lost since July 1, and 19.5 kg lost since I began my weight loss program.

My starting weight officially was 248.8 lbs/112.8 kg, and my goal weight is 180 lbs/81.6 kg. I am 61% of the way to my goal!

:bday:  :bday:  :bday:  :bday:

What's wrong with gaining more muscle?  Aside from looking great and letting you lift heavy objects, it also burns more fat for you.

Nothing against muscle, just that my primary goal is to get back into my shorts before we go to Mexico this winter. 

I was stronger when I weighed 20lbs less than I do now. 

• Like 5

Today, I weighed in at 205.8 lbs. This is a total of 2.0 lbs down for the week, 4.0 lbs down for the month of September, 11.4 lbs down for the 3rd Quarter, and 43.0 lbs down since March 26th (when I began working out).

For our non US users, this is 93.3 kg, a week loss of .9 kg, month loss of 1.8 kg, 5.1 kg lost since July 1, and 19.5 kg lost since I began my weight loss program.

My starting weight officially was 248.8 lbs/112.8 kg, and my goal weight is 180 lbs/81.6 kg. I am 61% of the way to my goal!

Fantastic news, Bryan. Keep up the great work!!!

• Like 1

Congrats! ::D: 

I think I might try to go for a run tonight. I was planning to try today but forgot to bring my stuff. We'll see if I survive this experience...  :blink:  I used to go out and run 6k in about 33 minutes just for fun, but I bet I won't make a full klick today without having to stop and walk, even at a slow pace.  :down:  Being out of shape sucks after getting used to being fit.  :down:

• Like 4

I think I might try to go for a run tonight. I was planning to try today but forgot to bring my stuff. We'll see if I survive this experience...  :blink:  I used to go out and run 6k in about 33 minutes just for fun, but I bet I won't make a full klick today without having to stop and walk, even at a slow pace.  :down:  Being out of shape sucks after getting used to being fit.  :down:

My fastest 5k time so far of the 6 I've run was 45:30. I can do 7-8 kph only for a minute or two.

My fastest 5k time so far of the 6 I've run was 45:30. I can do 7-8 kph only for a minute or two.

I've done... 4? And I think my best time was a few seconds under 44... 

• Like 2