TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

I have no idea what i'm currently capable of running.   My PR was mile in 8:24, 3 years ago. 

this morning it was a 9:50 mile but I had also done 30 min on an elliptical machine so I wasn't pushing.  

Did 5 miles in an hour Wednesday, some of it walking. 

209 lbs at last check. (211 lifetime max) 

• Like 2

I'm still right at 300 down from 336 6 months ago.  many many years ago I could run 2 miles in 12 minutes but that was a long time ago.  currently I do about 15 minutes after work on an elliptical to get some cardio.  but I haven't actually run in 20+ years.

• Like 4

For weight loss, running faster isn't really better.  Longer runs with a moderate heart rate (in the 150-160 range for someone within 10 years of 40) are much better for fat burning.  You can look up "MAF" running.  I can do a 5k in under 25 minutes, but do most of my running at about a 9 min mile because it puts me at a better effort level for weight loss.

• Like 3

For weight loss, running faster isn't really better.  Longer runs with a moderate heart rate (in the 150-160 range for someone within 10 years of 40) are much better for fat burning.  You can look up "MAF" running.  I can do a 5k in under 25 minutes, but do most of my running at about a 9 min mile because it puts me at a better effort level for weight loss.

Yeah, today I graduate from phase 4 in my weight loss plan to phase 5, and while over the course of the plan since March I've had to increase my speed slightly to keep the same heart rate (in March, "green zone" was 3.5mph, by May it took me going at 3.8mph to reach the same heart rate, and now I have to run at 4mph to reach green) the workout plan rally is increasing the duration of the workouts and the time spent at each interval. 

I started at Phase 2, and the final workout for Phase 2 was 30 minutes total length, 5 minutes Blue zone, 20 minutes green zone, 5 minutes blue zone. For phase 4, the final workout (yesterday) was 40 minutes, 5 Blue, 30 Green, 5 Blue. And for phase 5, which I should end a week before Thanksgiving is 55 minutes, 5 Blue, 45 green, 5 Blue. 

I do not expect my speed to increase by *much*, perhaps by as much as .2 or .4 mph to achieve and maintain Green (yesterday I had to do 4.5 for 10 minutes to get into green, but that was the first time I'd ever had to go that speed to get my heart rate above 135), and I'm not really focused on speed. Speed increases as a factor of the additional effort required to achieve target heart rate increases, which is a factor (I think) of the weight loss meaning I require less effort to achieve the same [speed] results.

Yes, losing weight allows you to run faster with less effort. I speak from experience here,both positive and negative. ::):

And in case anyone's curious, I survived my run! 3km, and I was ready to pass out at the end. Strange how not running for 4 months makes you not run as well... ::):

• Like 8

I don't know how fast I can run, but I figure I could make it about ten steps before my knee exploded.

Feels like a bruised fruit, today, for some reason. Gonna walk but passing on the basketball again. Will try envying others' running and see if that burns any fat.

• Like 3

Spent an hour in the gym today--getting easier. But my knee's half liquified again. Kind of bumming me out. Maybe not as bad? Hard to say. Hopefully the muscles strengthen up and that's all this is, but decidedly no running anytime in the near future.Going to have to start stretching the walking days and all that jazz. My wife's starting to work her stamina up again--she's coming off a bad cold/infection, too, so easing in. Both of us feeling pretty good about it, though, and I'm excited to have her doing stuff with me.

Have spent the weekend eating potatoes and chocolate, though. /ultimateshameface

• Like 4

Brought my gym clothes with me to work today... I got a membership a month and a half ago and haven't used it yet.  :blush:  But I'll be using it today! Gonna go lift some heavy* things and then put them down again!

Edit: Forgot to put a disclaimer on "heavy"...

* They're only going to be heavy relative to, say, minis. I'm pretty weak y'all.

Edited by canuckotter
  • Like 8

Down to 294. Total loss of 30 pounds now. Clothes are loose, but I'm not yet at the stage of having to go down a size. Maybe another 10-15 pounds.

Unfortunately I'm sick. Been sick since Saturday. Face hurts, slight fever, and I can't take the sinus meds I normally do because of my current meds, so bleh.

• Like 6

I gained 2 lbs on vacation. Not bad for teh amount of meat/beer consumed :)

We walked an average of 6 miles a day so at least we were active.

I also badly twisted my ankle, brusied and swollen but I can walk on it.

Hubs signed up for "Blue Apron" which is a delivery service that gives you 3 meals a week (you pick them) and then you make them.

I stink at cooking so I am really looking forward to this, plus the meals are portioned out so it is much better then ordering out a few times of week sicne we get sick of my terrible attempts at cooking heathy.

I can bake, but cookies won't help me get in shape....

Great Job Aryanun! Hope you are feeling better soon!

• Like 9

I lifted heavy things and put them down!

If you don't see me on the forums for a couple days, don't worry. It'll just be because I can't make my arms work enough to be able to use the mouse or type. ::P: 

• Like 9

Football at the track, tonight, so we tried out the park. About as busy but a nice change of scenery. Wife's feeling better and doing a half mile pretty all right, now. I did a mile, tonight, and felt good, besides the knee. Gotta tick it on up.

• Like 4